Physics Suspension Travel Visualizer

1666223293265.png

V2:
1681974430665.png

Just a Desmos visualizer to help people having difficulty visualizing what bumpstops/packers/rod_length etc all mean in AC. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Love the Desmos AC Suspension Position visualizer, thank you.

Been looking at this and comparing the BumpStop_Up/ DN and Packer_Range for various KS cars and mod cars. The numbers are all over the place. Here are a couple of them:

KS MX5 NA Miata:
F: 0.06/0.105/0.280; R: 0.07/0.165/0.280 (Read somewhere that real NA rides the bumpstop during hard cornering. But this looks like cornering load will not get into PackerRange at all, or am I getting the wrong idea?)(In this case, the Packer_Range is so large, it does not matter.)

Honda S2000 mod AP1
F: 1.038/0.08/0.15; R 1.047/0.063/0.129
(First I wonder if the BumpStop_Up is a mistake and should have been 0.1038. In this case, the lower Packer_Range will make the car ride the bumpstop. Thus the large BumpStop_Up is irrelevant.)

So suspension bump travel will run into bumpstop_rate + spring_rate once exceeding the Packer_range. For the DN, the wheel stops drooping once exceeding the bumpstop_down when the load is reduced.

Appreciate any insight or correction to my thoughts.

Love the Desmos AC Suspension Position visualizer, thank you.

Been looking at this and comparing the BumpStop_Up/ DN and Packer_Range for various KS cars and mod cars. The numbers are all over the place. Here are a couple of them:

KS MX5 NA Miata:
F: 0.06/0.105/0.280; R: 0.07/0.165/0.280 (Read somewhere that real NA rides the bumpstop during hard cornering. But this looks like cornering load will not get into PackerRange at all, or am I getting the wrong idea?)(In this case, the Packer_Range is so large, it does not matter.)

Honda S2000 mod AP1
F: 1.038/0.08/0.15; R 1.047/0.063/0.129
(First I wonder if the BumpStop_Up is a mistake and should have been 0.1038. In this case, the lower Packer_Range will make the car ride the bumpstop. Thus the large BumpStop_Up is irrelevant.)

So suspension bump travel will run into bumpstop_rate + spring_rate once exceeding the Packer_range. For the DN, the wheel stops drooping once exceeding the bumpstop_down when the load is reduced.

Appreciate any insight or correction to my thoughts.
Without looking at the numbers specifically, it's important to remember that suspension travel is the total travel, meaning it includes static deflection. It is *not* the delta in travel from static. This means the spring is producing force until travel <=0. So if your packer range is 100mm and the car causes the suspension to deflect 100mm under static loading (i.e. while the car is sitting still), the dynamic gap will be 0mm. In that instance, any cornering would make the car hit the outer ""packers"" immediately (in real life you'd call them the bumpstops and bumpstop_up/dn the packers, but I digress).

The telemetry app in-game has a page for suspension travel. Those numbers correspond to the SusTravel parameter in Desmos.

Updated OP with a newer version to hopefully help people who still have difficulty visualizing what the parameters do.
Hi, first of all thanks, that is a cool tool. A minor suggestion would be to change the order on the left side of BUMPSTOP_DN and BUMPSTOP_UP so that BUMPSTOP_UP comes first.

However I either misunderstand this or there is something wrong with it.
Here are some values that are similar to a stock AC car (I changed the values a bit since I think posting the actual values would not be allowed. The overall problem is the same though)
So that would mean that the "packer" (actual bump stop rubber) starts above the physical suspension travel? Does not seem right to me.
1693929469713.png

There are also cases of stock AC cars where the rod length will mean that the lower "rod position" will be lower than the "BUMPSTOP_DN" position, which would mean it is outside the physical possible range? (Again, changed the values a bit from another car, but the concept is the same)
1693930024816.png

This seems all very weird to me.

Hi, first of all thanks, that is a cool tool. A minor suggestion would be to change the order on the left side of BUMPSTOP_DN and BUMPSTOP_UP so that BUMPSTOP_UP comes first.

However I either misunderstand this or there is something wrong with it.
Here are some values that are similar to a stock AC car (I changed the values a bit since I think posting the actual values would not be allowed. The overall problem is the same though)
So that would mean that the "packer" (actual bump stop rubber) starts above the physical suspension travel? Does not seem right to me.
View attachment 692542

There are also cases of stock AC cars where the rod length will mean that the lower "rod position" will be lower than the "BUMPSTOP_DN" position, which would mean it is outside the physical possible range? (Again, changed the values a bit from another car, but the concept is the same)
View attachment 692548
This seems all very weird to me.
Tool is correct.

Packer position being higher than bs up just means you don't get to the packer - real car might not have had one. Rod length placing starting susp position lower than bs dn just means there is spring preload at full droop; this should for sure be the case with most road cars.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.