Hi guys! 3ds Max is giving me issues with the DIR_ Helper so I switched to Blender. I've done all the hierarchy correctly but there are 2 problems:
1. The HUB_LF rotates with the SUSP_LF in the Z axis which is not correct (the spring shouldn't rotate in any direction)
2. The spring has no spring " behavior ". It should compress and decompress but now it doesn't.

Basically I don't want the HUB to rotate with the rest of the SUSP

Do you guys have any suggestions to fix these problems? Maybe I'm getting something wrong

First pic

Second pic

correct, I usually just name them all the same thing "KsSkinnedMesh", but with "_LF" "_RF" etc.

If this doesn't work, try it using one material/texture for all 4 Strictly named KsSkinnedMesh
Tried this, by naming all 4 springs "KsSkinnedMesh_XX" and its respective materials. Unfortunately it still crashes when loading the car on ksEditor. Would you mind taking a screenshot of the hierarchy tower of the car you tested (To see how the springs are located), material settings, and export settings from 3DS?
At this point I'm not sure why it is failing on my end, so I'd greatly appreciate any images to see how you did it and try to find my error

Screenshot_3.png

So I actually led you astray sorry... All the springs need to use the same KsSkinnedMesh texture/material, named KsSkinnedMesh. Aside from that, I think I had to ensure the springs were named "GEO_SPRING-xxx" as I have it in that hierarchy.

I did nothing to the materials in 3ds, just dragged the .dds onto the object in 3ds and called it good. Export settings are the same as usual as well, animation unchecked, scale factor 1, y-axis up, and FBX binary 2014/2015. Hopefully this helps, lemme know.

Also, make sure the spring's pivot location is correct. (0,0,0, y axis up, z axis forward) otherwise, they'll be somewhere super weird once the car is in any kunos software.

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    440.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
View attachment 655088

So I actually led you astray sorry... All the springs need to use the same KsSkinnedMesh texture/material, named KsSkinnedMesh. Aside from that, I think I had to ensure the springs were named "GEO_SPRING-xxx" as I have it in that hierarchy.

I did nothing to the materials in 3ds, just dragged the .dds onto the object in 3ds and called it good. Export settings are the same as usual as well, animation unchecked, scale factor 1, y-axis up, and FBX binary 2014/2015. Hopefully this helps, lemme know.

Also, make sure the spring's pivot location is correct. (0,0,0, y axis up, z axis forward) otherwise, they'll be somewhere super weird once the car is in any kunos software.
Okay, will try this this afternoon. Could you also share a screenshot of the modifier list of one of the springs?

The naming aspect was different on my end, so I hope that fixes it. However, just in case, would really appreciate this

yeah absolutely. Sorry I left you high and dry... work got busy and I didn't even turn on my monitor until a few minutes ago and saw that I never finished helping you out.
IMG_5910.jpg

i have the skin being modified by the _DIR bones at the top and bottom of the spring (as respective children of the right things in the hierarchy. Its kinda weird, the bone named top, is actually at the bottom of the spring, but on the top of the list in the skin parameters. the bone named top is also a child of the suspension dummy according to its respective side, in this case SUSP_LR. The opposing bone, named DIR_Coil_LR isn't a child of anything either, it just sits in the car hierarchy, since its not supposed to move. this is the side that sticks to the frame. Hopefully this helps, if not just let me know!

Hi, I'm doing an animated suspension setup for a project. The suspension works but when I run it in AC the wheels don't stop spinning whenever I steer. I noticed that in the animated suspension example given by AC it does the same thing in kseditor. Do I have to modify some data file? is there something I have to change in the fbx data file? I set up the hierarchy just like the example and put the DIR_LEFTSTEERARM, LEFTSTEERARM, DIR_RIGHTSTEERARM and RIGHSTEERARM.

Any help would be appreciated.

rip_811 "The suspension works but when I run it in AC the wheels don't stop spinning whenever I steer."

Same here. I've seen the issue mentioned in two threads but both seem to be un-solved and the thread leads off on some other tangent.

To clarify with images:
In KSeditor, After clicking Open FBX (from 3DSMAX) and then Open FBX Animation (the exact same FBX) And then under Car Animations [Load from folder] I borrowed the steering animation from a similar car.

In game the wheels steer in 360 degrees at up to what looks like 1000 rpm and they steer infinitely at some slower speed in KS editor, speed of this spin is proportional to the controller or steering input slider. It's somewhat satisfying in game and KSeditor that the steering is on the exact axis between upper and lower ball joints unlike previous tests in Content Manager showroom where I'll constantly tweak the suspension.ini to try and get everything aligned as it was in 3DSmax.

Droop, ride height, and bump travels work fine in KSeditor's Animations tab slider. Just like they do in 3DSmax.

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a tutorial like the one from IIJA would be very appreciated, since going so fast and it seems like it touches more things is a bit confusing for me, I would like to animate a suspension and there is no way, I know there are 2 methods, I watched the video from IIJA but there is no way. If anyone could make a tutorial it would be greatly appreciated.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.