Surge and TC ideal travel?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this community so will probably have a number of questions however i have been spending a lot of time reading other threads and have managed to answer a lot of them already. Secondly, I am planning to build a pretty advanced rig so will be documenting and trying to give back to the community as i learn :).

So i am planning on building a SFX100 and want to include traction loss and surge functionality. I just a few quetsions...

1. How much Traction Loss and Surge movement should i aim for? For those who have rigs capable of this, do you go for maximum travel or have you shortened the movement for better feeling? Just i have some ideas that would give me 300mm+ of travel, but not sure if this is excessive...?

2. For traction loss, where is the ideal pivot point? EG Should i try and mimic a real car where the pivot point is say 500mm in front of the pedals/feet, or have the pivot point around the knee cap position? (EG if you are drifting do you want your body to go right while your feet go left, or is it better for your entire body and feet to move the in same direction obviously moving a greater distance?)

3. Is it better to have the monitors mounted on the rig (moving with you) or static?

4. Is it better to mount the seat as low as physically possible? (eg potentially i can mount the seat lower than the "base" the legs are pressing into. Or is there an ideal height?

I appreciate any advice, i have been searching but finding it difficult to find answers to these specific questions.

Cheers, Errol.

Last edited:
Hi Errol,

In the same boat as you looking at building a 6dof sfx200 (200mm for flight, 150mm max for sim racing). I would want double traction loss as you are now getting the full 6dof.

In terms of travel for surge and traction loss I would prefer something longer as well 450mm, not sure if that is possible it hasn't been done to my knowledge on the sfx style platform the only one I can find is 150mm travel on both TL and surge.

If only the TL/Surge actuators were his Scorpian U series with the extra stroke, not sure if this can be done, be interesting to find out.

Not sure about attaching monitors to a motion rig would like to know as well

Yes from what Ive read the lower the seat the better

Upvote 0
Good questions and I was wondering the same!

I was considering 300 mm of travel for surge and TL, which is only 150 mm each way so perhaps 400 mm would be more appropriate?
I will be making my own rig and actuators so have minimal constraints to what I build.

Upvote 0
Good questions and I was wondering the same!

I was considering 300 mm of travel for surge and TL, which is only 150 mm each way so perhaps 400 mm would be more appropriate?
I will be making my own rig and actuators so have minimal constraints to what I build.
Fantastic keep us updated on the build- I spoke to Shao from pt actuators about incorporating the Ultimate Series with the longer 450mm TL and Surge and he said he was looking into it shouldn't be an issue.

I reckon it will cost a mint though

Upvote 0
I was thinking more about surge and TL.

TL is to mimic oversteer which is normally a fast occurrence, on a car the back end steps out quickly. So on a sim rig I would have thought you need a fast movement to let you know the back end has lost traction. I will not be drifting so the distance it moves probably isn't that important. Therefore I will prioritise fast movement over distance traveled. 200mm total travel, 100mm each way.

Surge is to mimic braking and acceleration and I think have more travel here will be beneficial. If you look at the professional simulator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmjSKtWycR4 then it has lots of fore aft travel. Therefore I will look at minimum of 400mm of travel for surge and possible more.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 187 87.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 30 14.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 73 34.3%