Stroll Latest Formula One Driver Expected to Contest Daytona 24 Hour

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Lance Stroll Daytona Drive.jpg

Lance Stroll looks set to be the latest current Grand Prix driver set to contest January's Rolex Daytona 24 Hour sportscar race.

According to sources the Canadian Williams Mercedes driver could be taking part in the classic American endurance race next January as part of a proposed junior "super team" say Motorsport.com, potentially forming a line up that consists of some of the highest profile young drivers in active motorsport competition.

Stroll has had a much better season at Williams than many expected heading into the new season, myself included, and at only 19 years of age the Canadian son of multi Billionaire Lawrence Stroll has already secured the honour of youngest ever podium finisher in Formula One, thanks to his solid second place result at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix earlier in the year.

Jackie Chan DC Racing Lance Stroll.jpg

Although no firm details of exactly who will be joining the man with the massive eyebrows at the Jackie Chan DC Racing team have been confirmed, rumour has that the potential team mates could include Formula E driver Felix Rosenqvist, Audi factory GT driver Robin Frijns and RaceDepartment member and all round awesome dude @Daniel Juncadella.

The potential drive for Stoll at Daytona is yet another very positive step towards seeing more current Formula One drivers taking part in extra curricular activity outside of the regular Formula One schedule, with the young Canadian joining double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso at the legendary sportscar event next year.

Personally I think it is excellent news to see Grand Prix drivers splashing out to other series outside of Formula One, and I hope the path originally trodden by Hulkenberg at Le Mans and now Alonso and Stroll is a sign of things to come in future seasons.

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more news and discussion around the world of Formula One racing here at RaceDepartment.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Would you like to see more Grand Prix drivers contesting events outside of the regular Formula One season? Impressed to see Stroll trying his hand at Prototype racing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hmm, this is an interesting one.

I have nothing against the guy, he's done a reasonable job this year but I think he needs a few more years yet before attempting something like this.

It's not driving the car, I'm sure he'll fine on that. It's the massive field, traffic, different classes, managing fuel, the car, etc. Not sure if he'll be suited to that just yet.

It's just that when you sometimes see the onboards he just looks very "busy" at the wheel and that doesn't work to well with endurance racing. In my view anyway.

Lucky guy though for getting that chance.

However Jackie Chan racing is a top team and I'm sure they'll try and prepare him as much as possible.

It's just that when you sometimes see the onboards he just looks very "busy" at the wheel and that doesn't work to well with endurance racing. In my view anyway.

To be fair, the Williams is not the easiest car to drive and his style settled in as he gained more seat time. I think this will teach him how to be smoother to make the tires last a couple of stints.

Unlike a few posting here I think it is a smart move. Endurance racing is a series of sprints now and 19 year old eyes at night could be like night vision goggles.

wombat999

Premium
Good for him for having a go.
I'm not overly impressed with him but he has matured over the season, and I can only hope more F1 wheel operatives get into endurance racing, just as they once did regularly.
Needs to get rid of the Unibrow!

To be fair, the Williams is not the easiest car to drive and his style settled in as he gained more seat time. I think this will teach him how to be smoother to make the tires last a couple of stints.

Unlike a few posting here I think it is a smart move. Endurance racing is a series of sprints now and 19 year old eyes at night could be like night vision goggles.

Yes that's fair enough. It was late when I saw that news post and maybe I was being a little unfair to him. If he wants to do it fine and yes it's good that F1 drivers are trying other series. From a date point of view Daytona is ideal as it's so early in the year.

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
Grow a stache mate! Seriously though his progression this year is encouraging.
images

I like the idea. See what the younger crowd can do, especially with experience in other series.

Note, though, I think Lance finished 3rd in Baku after getting pipped by Bottas in the last hundred metres.

Note, though, I think Lance finished 3rd in Baku after getting pipped by Bottas in the last hundred metres.

I was gonna say... never knew Bottas got "disqualified":p

@Paul Jeffrey That squad would still be a lot less hairy than Harald Ertl alone.

And a lot less amazing than Ertl:D

When word got round of Alonso eyeing Le Mans aswell as doing Daytona with Norris as one of his compadres, wasn't it Stroll that called it useless to improve him as a driver?

Let's hope it gets of to a better start than the 2016 Daytona 24hrs, where Stroll crashed before even completing a single lap of his first practice session!
I wonder if anyone realizes that nobody gives a rip about this race in the USA? Except NASCAR fans, or bored race fans with no other race to ewatch. LeMans, your title is very safe.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000