Stream Deck as Button Box?

Just wondered if anybody has any experience of using a stream deck as a button box? I’m looking to upgrade my basic 6 button box and came across the stream deck. The ability to “file” actions for different sims looks useful, but a lack of encoders is a sacrifice. I saw Chris Harris video post on using one and whilst he thought it was good, he also has a conventional button box too.
Looking at higher end boxes the cost looks similar - unless you consider the new Stream Deck XL. Just looking for anybody who has used one or who has seen a draw back I haven’t considered.
Thanks for any pointers.

I've been using my Streamdeck for ACC, iRacing and rF2 a lot recently. Do need to work on a better mounting solution though as it tends to slide about at the minute which isnt ideal. Tried some double sided tape but with the stand on it doesn't get enough purchase.
Hoping you can help. i cannot get hotkeys to work in iracing. is there something special you need to do?

Upvote 0
All Aluminum 8020 mount. Suggestion (I do not use iRacing but) can you not assign keys on your keyboard to functions/actions then use Streamdeck to send those keys presses. :) That is what I do for AC, ACC, RF2, AMS2, Dirt Rally, PC2 and GPL. ;)

Attachments

• P1020080.png
    P1020080.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 964
  • P1020086.png
    P1020086.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,638
  • P1020087.png
    P1020087.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,115
  • P1020076.png
    P1020076.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 830
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great job. Looks fantastic :thumbsup:

Was it self made or cut from a pedal heel plate?
Made from 5x3x1/4 aluminum angle with 3" leg trimmed back for bottom shelf. The 8020 Swivel mount is bolted to upright 15x30, but aluminum angle was temporarily mounted to swivel bracket with Gorrilla Tape (first photo) to find right location to drill and tap mounting holes, But, LOL, it is stuck on so well I haven't drilled and tapped the final two mounting holes. :whistling:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love my streamdeck as functional device. I build this center console for it and it has become a device that can't be missed any more

It's great for launching apps, moving windows, swichting displays ect ect. Since last week we can even use it to tune all effects of the SFX100 motion.

But.... imho the streamdeck can not replace the regular button box.

During intense racing, i find it to difficult to find the right key, especially with motion. You have to focus your attention of screen, to look at the icons. Since all buttons feel the same you can't do it on the touch and a wrong key press is easily made especially with gloves on.

In VR the streamdeck is totally useless as a button box.

But.... i really love it for navigating menus, macros, SFX tuning, killing and launching multiple programs and basically anything you can think of :)

I just added a second one, a stream deck mini, to navigate quicker to certain pages of the main streamdeck. But for me personally, the streamdeck will never replace a buttonbox.

Upvote 0
Anyone using StreamDeck as a button box, you should give this a look : https://github.com/ashupp/Streamdeck-vJoy

It's a plugin for the StreamDeck software that allows you to send proper game-device button presses, rather than being limited to keyboard presses.

I've found it works great.
Yes, but does it allow you to map sub-menus. It appeared to me to allow only 32 button assignments. Whereas if I assign "key presses" in the game, I can have a main set up/launch page with 32 buttons and a sub-menu (ingame page) with 31 buttons (or 30 buttons if I need another sub-menu). ;)
See attached example Launch Page (P1020087.png) and Ingame Page (P1020086.png).

Attachments

• P1020087.png
    P1020087.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 304
  • P1020086.png
    P1020086.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
Upvote 0
@BenKay ooooh so I can use all my button box buttons/wheel buttons as well ?

that’s makes things so much easier as it means I do t have to pick between streamdeck and button box , I can have both! ( need this for VR as the streamdeck is limited compared to the more tactical button box when the HMD is on )

Upvote 0
@JimLee - sorry you 've lost me there...you can choose to use the plugin on any button you want within a page (and you can have unlimited buttons on the v-joy device)...nothing to stop you having sub-menu assigned buttons within the same screen as buttons using this plugin....I don't see anything in your images that isn't possible using this plugin....are you maybe getting mixed up with the other software (SimDeck I think it was called...which was yes very limited)? This one literally just appears in the list of possible actions within the standard StreamDeck software (just as a key press, program shortcut, next page, open folder and so on do).

@groove200 - yes that's exactly right and same use situation I had. I had a button box that was seen by windows as a keyboard, so it was really easy to end up with conflicting assignments between the button box and the Streamdeck....this solves that!

Upvote 0
@JimLee - sorry you 've lost me there...you can choose to use the plugin on any button you want within a page (and you can have unlimited buttons on the v-joy device)...nothing to stop you having sub-menu assigned buttons within the same screen as buttons using this plugin....I don't see anything in your images that isn't possible using this plugin....are you maybe getting mixed up with the other software (SimDeck I think it was called...which was yes very limited)? This one literally just appears in the list of possible actions within the standard StreamDeck software (just as a key press, program shortcut, next page, open folder and so on do).

@groove200 - yes that's exactly right and same use situation I had. I had a button box that was seen by windows as a keyboard, so it was really easy to end up with conflicting assignments between the button box and the Streamdeck....this solves that!
Okay, I will try it out ... later this evening. Although, it means I have to run another program in the background (vJoy). By the way AMS 2 does not currently recognize additional USB devices only the wheel and keyboard (hopefully they will fix this in the future) which is one of the reasons I simply assign in game keys/map keys to buttons. :coffee:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back