Tracks Static track cameras?

Does anyone know the secret to setting up static track cams in AC?

I did a google search and it brought up a suggestion of using kseditor, however I don’t have the fbx for the track.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Does anyone know the secret to setting up static track cams in AC?

I did a google search and it brought up a suggestion of using kseditor, however I don’t have the fbx for the track.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
You need the fbx to load the track and ai line in kseditor, to get a reference for the camera position. 3DsimEd can get you the fbx.

you don't need the fbx actually, you can make cameras just using this App within the game itself. Just enable it and go into the free mode by pressing F7 and then explore the "new 'cameras.ini' icon . Don't have a tutorial on that.

1602112074913.png

it could be easier to use the kseditor though knowing how to use it might be an advance.

just need to check IS_FIXED=1

you don't need the fbx actually, you can make cameras just using this App within the game itself. Just enable it and go into the free mode by pressing F7 and then explore the "new 'cameras.ini' icon . Don't have a tutorial on that.

View attachment 411173

it could be easier to use the kseditor though knowing how to use it might be an advance.

just need to check IS_FIXED=1

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I tried entering the cam-dir values however it didnt have the desired effect :/

I have posted the camera below which I basically cut and pasted from one of Silverstone's cameras, and then adjusted the location (position) co-ordinates and amended the FORWARD value to what it said in the cam-dir when doing the F7 cam. However when doing the replay the camera is facing the sky. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[CAMERA_33]
NAME=maybe bridge static cam
POSITION=177.726, 70.7693, 659.0236
FORWARD=-0.169 , 0.185 ,-0.968
UP=-0.00611904 ,0.99995 ,0.00791014
MIN_FOV=3
MAX_FOV=3
IN_POINT=0.771443
OUT_POINT=0.791983
SHADOW_SPLIT0=105
SHADOW_SPLIT1=350
SHADOW_SPLIT2=850
NEAR_PLANE=1
FAR_PLANE=5000
MIN_EXPOSURE=0.18
MAX_EXPOSURE=0.55
DOF_FACTOR=5
DOF_RANGE=1500
DOF_FOCUS=0
DOF_MANUAL=0
SPLINE=
SPLINE_ROTATION=0
FOV_GAMMA=1
SPLINE_ANIMATION_LENGTH=15
IS_FIXED=1

The direction which static cameras face use some weird (possibly very common in some fields?) coordinate system. You need both FORWARD and UP factors.
Thanks, can you tell me how I get the UP value. Is it listed on the app screenshot above? I tried entering the value listed above as cam rel2car as UP but it didnt have the desired effect.

The direction which static cameras face use some weird (possibly very common in some fields?) coordinate system. You need both FORWARD and UP factors.
They're easy to transform into a rotation matrix and back again. Normally there'd be 3 (forward, right, up) but you can get the third from the cross product of the other two so it can be skipped. eg. https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topi...ion-matrix-from-up-right-and-forward-vectors/

If you want the camera to sit flat, not rolled to the side, you can calculate the up that goes with a forward vector pretty easily.
h = sqrt(x^2 + z^2)
v = -y
X = x * v/h
Y = h
Z = z * v/h
(xyz = forward coordinates, XYZ = up coordinates)

The game normalizes this stuff anyway so as a cheap hack you can also just set UP = 0, 1, 0 but it may slightly pitch your camera.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea