1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSD turns up on DDR3 module, oh wow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Adrian Britton, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

I guess this is why the new AMD Socket FM1 A- Series/E2- Series Accelerated Processors boards specification reports...

I wonder how long it will be before we can do the same with graphics cards, that would be cool adding a SSD to upgrade the memory on a GPU.
  2. SSD's by the nature of their design won't be as fast as the RAM that it would replace. I would prefer dedicated devices rather than taking up a slot that can be used for something else. Their idea is that servers which don't need a lot of other fancy hardware can utilize the extra ram slots for SSD's rather than drive slots which servers tend to chew up like candy.
  3. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah I agree with you totaly, but something is up (or in the pipe line, on the quiet) regarding DDR3 slots and SSD drives.
    I have been reading up on the new HSDL (High Speed Data Link) connection via a HSDL adaptor card (uses PCI-E).

Man! I am looking at buying a whole new rig in september, an my head is spinning with all the different specs I can go for at the moment.
    (An I am an IT engineer)
    The market is moving soo fast nowadays, its that saturated with new technology and new specs, the software market is having a hard time keeping up.
    I mean you buy something (hardware) and a month later the companies are announcing they are stopping making drivers, supporting or even making upgrades for it.

Its not going to be long before we have three seperate cases and power supplies for one pc, CPU case, Graphics case and Memory case, all linked together via some hybrid living cable. :eek:
  4. The SSD drive is mounted on the memory strip and acts as a SSD drive. An SATA cable connects it to the motherboard. It does not replace the memory(RAM).
  5. Kevin, that is my point, it won't be replacing the RAM, but it will prevent the use of the slot for RAM as the SSD will be using it. Even with this HSDL I am sure it will still be a lot slower than RAM. For me the only acceptable reason to put a drive in the RAM slot would be if it used the swap file and was as fast as the RAM that is prevents from being installed.

Another thing that might be an issue here as well with the SSD in the RAM slot is the potential to overclock would be seriously cut due to this. I am not even sure how it would handle the slot's RAM timing if the voltages and timing were changed from what the SSD wants to see.
  6. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Yeah I agree and understand now what your both saying.
    I read somewhere last night that they are releasing a 16Gb DDR3 stick.

So that explains the motherboard supporting 64gb memory.

"So I am off to hide my head in embarrassment" ha ha
    Thanks for clearing it up though guys.
  7. My understanding is that the SSD is mounted on the ram as a space savings measure and that it still requires an SATA cable to the SATA port. Keep in mind that I am referring to the device in the link provided. I have yet to see any mention of SSD replacing RAM. SSD memory cells have a maximum number of writes before the cell fails and it would seem that using it for RAM would be foolish.
    I don't know much about HSDL but I thought it was supposed to be an alternative to the current IDE/SATA port for storage devices. It would use the PCI-E slot rather than the memory slots. Maybe I am missing a key piece of info?
  8. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Yeah I knew the HSDL were a look at replacing the onboard sata connector or an improve on it regarding read and write speed.

I was just thinking that they where trying to add SSD's to ram because of the high supported size (64Gb) on the new socket FM1 AMD motherboards.
    I didnt realise they were intending on releasing a 16Gb stick of ram!!!
    Man! My new rig I am buying is gunna have 16Gb but spread over four sticks not one, ha ha ha

But I think I am just looking at too many things and wanting too much.
    As long as I can run bryce, daz, auto cad and photoshop ok I will be happy with something modest. (an not the newest and latest)

I mean I know, what I am gunna get will run rFactor and rFactor 2 (when it comes out)
    I just hope someone converts the Isle of man TT track for rFactor 2 from rFactor. (thats one awesome track)