Smoothtrack... TrackIR alternative

Anyone used it? It's an alternative head tracker like TrackIR but using your phone?
Screenshot_20200909-102642.png
Screenshot_20200909-102642.png

Anyone used it? It's an alternative head tracker like TrackIR but using your phone? View attachment 404751View attachment 404751
Just downloaded and installed the app on PC and android phone.
The installation takes a little time but it is clearly outlined in the instructions.
With both the pc and phone apps running I opened RFactor2 and it ran very smoothly.
Will try with other racing sims and MS FS 2020.
For $9.99 sure beats other tracking apps.

Upvote 0
Just downloaded and installed the app on PC and android phone.
The installation takes a little time but it is clearly outlined in the instructions.
With both the pc and phone apps running I opened RFactor2 and it ran very smoothly.
Will try with other racing sims and MS FS 2020.
For $9.99 sure beats other tracking apps.
Sounds promising... I am still without pc till next week (have been since coronavirus hit) but its something I might try... Sounds good!

Upvote 0
I've just downloaded the app and OpenTrack software. It's all working beautifully on RF2 and on a variety of flight sims too. No setup required, just turn it on before the game starts and it works, very smooth and adds a lot to the games.

HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it working with Assetto Corsa. I'm using the latest version of AC and CM with CSP. It doesn't work when I jump into a race/practice, I've looked through the settings for AC and CM/CSP, but can't see anything related to headtracking. Does anyone have any tips? Am I missing something completely obvous?

Upvote 0
I've just downloaded the app and OpenTrack software. It's all working beautifully on RF2 and on a variety of flight sims too. No setup required, just turn it on before the game starts and it works, very smooth and adds a lot to the games.

HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it working with Assetto Corsa. I'm using the latest version of AC and CM with CSP. It doesn't work when I jump into a race/practice, I've looked through the settings for AC and CM/CSP, but can't see anything related to headtracking. Does anyone have any tips? Am I missing something completely obvous?

I have had no issues with using with AC.....I start the game using CM and it only work in the cockpit view with the arms on the steering wheel

Upvote 0
I tried using phone tracking before as an alternative. It wasn't feasible. The phone's gyroscope just drifts too much, so you turn your head and when you look straight again, you're not looking straight in the game. Even tried multiple phones, but it was always the same, the only thing that was different were some variations in how quickly this would happen.

(I also tried solutions like FaceTrackNoIR, also didn't work very well, laggy and unreliable.)

In the end I think you're much better off getting a PS Eye camera (or something like that, but that one is great because it's cheap and can do 60+fps), taking out the IR filter and building an IR LED head clip. Which is exactly what I did. Total cost was like 15 euro plus some time spent on it, and it works perfectly.

Upvote 0
The phone's gyroscope just drifts too much, so you turn your head and when you look straight again, you're not looking straight in the game.
I haven't tried this yet but it might be different to what you've tried in the past, because the phone remains stationary, so I'd imagine the gyroscopes aren't used at all (just the camera).
I had thought that this thread already had a YouTube link in it but I don't see one now so here's one that shows the setup process and may help anyone who is having trouble:

Upvote 0
I tried It on FS2020 and is very smooth, but very laggy compared to TrackIR.
Dont Know if its caused by my phone or not, can't test with other mobile

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't tried this yet but it might be different to what you've tried in the past, because the phone remains stationary, so I'd imagine the gyroscopes aren't used at all (just the camera).
OK, I admit I just assumed it used the gyroscope and didn't look at it in more detail. And, as they say, when you assume, your opinion's worth is frequently suggested by the first three letters of the word :(

At the same time, though, if it doesn't use it, then I'm not sure how is it different from FaceTrackNoIR apart from the fact that it uses a smartphone (and yes, I have watched the video now). But I guess I should try it and see for myself instead of further assuming...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried it (wasted $10 IMHO ... my expectations were too high, was hoping to get rid of my headset) :redface: :mad:, installed on a Iphone SE 2020 with following issues:
1. I had to find a place to mount the iphone in my sim rig. :thumbsdown:
2. Setup is a bit convoluted :coffee:
3. Response was noticeably laggy :thumbsdown: compared to my TIR (in sim racing ... flight sims not so bad) :unsure:

Short of triples (space problems) or VR (hardware/motion problems), I believe for Simracing or anything requiring fast response TrackIR5 or DIY 60fps Head Tracking is the best way to go, for a semi-immersive experience.

P.S. I currently use TrackIR 5 (w/passive reflectors), mounted on my Logitech G930 Wireless Headset w/ 3M Dual Lock. No wires and no batteries. :thumbsup:

IMG_0517.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: TrackIR, good review of the Track Clip Pro accessory and some of the set-up/calibration:
Yes, but you should first try the standard Track Clip which comes with TrackIR (mounted to the top of your headset with 1) velcro "so-so" or 2) 3M Dual Lock "much rigid and secure") and save yourself $40-50. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea