Small graphic tweak for better sharpness

Anisotropic filter = 8x
Depth of field = off
FXAA = off

thanks in advance for the beer :)
You can also set MIP_LOD_BIAS=-1 (or lower) for sharpening in system\cfg\graphics.ini. This may cost you a handful of FPS depending on the rest of your graphics settings.

What is Depth of field?
It simulates a 3D effect where scenery further away gets blurred (or at least softened) to create an effect like focussing on a specific plane, like the foreground for example. 3D movies do something similar, although through different technical means. It looks something like this:
201__depth_of_field_f-2.8-f-2.8.jpg

More info here:
https://photographylife.com/what-is-depth-of-field

Whether antialiasing or anisotropic filtering has more visual impact is highly dependent on the graphics card and the monitor in question, especially resolution (in pixels and in dpi), and even on the individual viewer (the person).

I would estimate it is worth trying a few settings, given how fast it is in AC to do so. Just have the fps display on and use the start of one of the highlands track variants. They are pretty busy in the starting screen and do a good estimate for fps rate for single player. You should drive a couple seconds because the artifacts that anisotropic filtering improves can be much more visible when in motion. AA jaggies tend to disappear in motion.

Here are two examples. Same scene, one with AA maxed out and no AF, and the other with AF maxed out and no AA. The wing in particular does not look good without any antialiasing. I tend to be bothered more by a lack of AA.

FPS were 71 for full AA and 75 for AF.

Click for full resolution, whole-picture screenshot.

Click for 3840x2160

Click for 3840x2160

BTW if anyone has a beefy card or can live without smoke/particle effects:
AC looks gorgeous with Sparse Grid Super Sampling, forced with the nVidia Inspector. The whole scene gets a little blurred though but with lumasharpen it's just AWESOME.
Sadly I can't live without smoke. I need it when driving without ABS and to see when I touch the grass or others lock up/touch grass.
The particle effects are getting anti aliased too by sgssaa and my GPU load goes from 50% straight up to 100% and the FPS drop from 60 (vsync) to around 40. On Race starts with all the smoke even down to 20fps... With smoke disabled they easily stay above 60 (around 50-70% load).

I have a 1070.

I did a little video about sgssaa for Rocket League. Youtube's compression takes a lot of sense out of that video but I think you can still see the difference. MSAA does a good job but transparent things don't get AAed. Like shadows, fences etc. You can see the pixel-crawling especially on the ground in further distance.

• Deleted member 197115

With Maxwell and higher NVidia GPU you can try MFAA option in Nvidia CPL, with MSAA 4x in game that would produce MFAA 8x with very little impact comparing to traditional MSAA 8x.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%