Sirotkin and Kubica Get Williams Chance in Abu Dhabi Test

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sergey Sirotkin Williams Test.jpg

Robert Kubica looks set to be partnered by Renault tester Sergey Sirotkin at Williams for the season ending Abu Dhabi test later this month.

Kubica will be taking the opportunity to sample a 2017 specification Williams car for the first time following the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this coming weekend, as Williams continue to search for a replacement for the retiring Felipe Massa in 2018. Although the test will be another opportunity for the returning Polish driver to test his fitness and performance ahead of a Williams driver decision, it looks like another surprise candidate has entered the reckoning, with the reported decision by Williams to give sometime Renault third driver Sergey Sirotkin an opportunity to sample the Martin backed Mercedes powered car for the first time.

At present the conventional wisdom has it that Kubica, Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlien, ousted Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat and Williams tester and former Force India star Paul di Resta are the main candidates for a drive alongside Canadian Lance Stroll next season, however according to Motorsport.com it looks like another Russian in the form of Sirotkin has thrown his hat into the ring, surprising many seasoned Formula One folk after really failing to impress many people during his time behind the wheel of the Renault during his four FP1 session outings this season.

Both drivers are expected to get a full day each in the car, no doubt giving Williams more food for thought as they look to make a decision on who will take the legendary British outfit into battle during 2018.

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the premier open wheel series in the world.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think Sirotkin has done enough in his career to deserve a Williams chance? Who should the team pick for next season in your opinion? Can Kubica be competitive if he wins the seat for next season? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Sirotkin might be a decent choice, but it would be more beneficial for Williams if they got someone like Di Resta or Kvyat, who have more experience.
Really depends if Sergey brings the dosh in

Wondering if the age requirement set by Martini is still in place. If so, then the choice is easier. Kubica or di Resta.

Wondering what Sauber's line-up will be. If they keep Pascal, then Williams' choices getting even smaller.

Bob should say hi to Nermal while he's there. With the way F1 has been run in the past couple of decades it seems only a matter of time before we see the Grand Prix of Somalia.

I think Pascal and Kyvat will be William's best bet for a decent season next year. Pascal will get the chance to stick it to force india for picking Ocon instead of him while Kyvat could see himself duking it out with the red bulls if Williams get their stuff together. Their car this year has been really awful given their pedigree in this sport.

I think Pascal and Kyvat will be William's best bet for a decent season next year. Pascal will get the chance to stick it to force india for picking Ocon instead of him while Kyvat could see himself duking it out with the red bulls if Williams get their stuff together. Their car this year has been really awful given their pedigree in this sport.

A whole lot of "if's" there. If Williams don't get their stuff together, again we'll not get a chance to see Pascal's potential.

I've seen similar reports, but I'll believe it when I see Williams F1 make an official announcement. The money and the testing times do certainly look in his favor, though.

I've seen similar reports, but I'll believe it when I see Williams F1 make an official announcement. The money and the testing times do certainly look in his favor, though.

I find it odd their not going for Kvyat or Pascal if now allowed an under 25 :unsure: I like Sergey though not sure deserves Williams seat would probably take a punt on Markelov out of anyone in F2 atm.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • €3001-5000