Sir Stirling Moss 'Stable' Following Chest Infection in Singapore

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Stirling Moss .jpg

Motorsport legend Sir Stirling Moss remains in hospital in Singapore following a serious chest infection confirms the former Grand Prix drivers family in a statement today, with the 87-year-old listed as 'stable' during his recovery phase.

Moss was taken ill and admitted to a Singapore hospital prior to Christmas, where he remains under care from the "wonderful" staff. The Brit is now considered in a "stable" condition after suffering complications during his recovery.

Moss is often regarded as the finest driver never to win a World Championship, despite his undoubted ability behind the wheel of a wide variety of machines during his lengthy career. With 66 Grand Prix starts, 16 wins and 24 podiums to his name Moss was often hampered by his desire to drive for British teams when many of his rivals found themselves in the plumb seats on the grid. According to Wikipedia Moss has driven for no less than 84 different makes of car over the course of his racing career, once stating he never officially retired from racing, he just stopped getting offered drives!

Despite his advancing years, Moss continues to regularly attend motorsport events and occasionally appears in several of the cars from his illustrious career. Personally I have been lucky enough to meet the man himself at the 2012 Donington Historic Festival and watching him still pushing his C-type XKC005 flat chat down Craner Curves remains a racing highlight that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

The full statement can be read below:

"Sir Stirling was admitted to hospital in Singapore on 22nd December 2016 with a serious chest infection.

Because of the severity of the infection it resulted in some complications and his recovery has not been as speedy as was expected or wished. However, his condition continues to improve and his doctors now consider him to be stable.

In himself, Sir Stirling is in good spirits and only upset about having missed his Christmas cruise with friends.

The hospital in Singapore is second to none and the consultants, doctors, nurses, therapists and staff looking after him could not be more wonderful; as kind and caring as they are professional. Lady Moss says she could not wish for a better facility or a more qualified team. She is very grateful to them all.

Once he is discharged from the hospital, it is Sir Stirling and Lady Moss's hope to stay in Singapore to enjoy a few days recuperating at a lovely hotel, being thoroughly spoilt, whilst lying in the sun by a gorgeous swimming pool.

A little something to make up for the cruise they missed and with the bonus of escaping from the English winter for a while longer."
Meanwhile the great and good of motorsport have been quick to take to social media and offer their best wishes to the British driver, with former Grand Prix racer and Sky Sports F1 commentator Martin Brundle emphasising how tough the British legend remains despite his advancing years. Brundle tweeted: "Get well soon Sir Stirling Moss. Seems he had a miserable Christmas with a chest infection but on the mend now. He may be 87 but he's tough"

RaceDepartment offer their best wishes and hope that Sir Stirling makes a swift and complete recovery and returns to full health as soon as possible.

Don't forget you can get all your Formula One racing news and discussions here at the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum. Head over to the forum now and join in the discussion with your fellow Grand Prix fans.

Stirliing Moss 2.jpg
Stirling Moss 1.jpg
Stirliing Moss 3.jpg

Last edited:
Not enough proper gentlemen left in the world. Can't be having one less now.

You'll never read it, but we're all behind you, Sir.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
I like how he calls the ladyfolk of the era "crumpet". That makes me smile and think of a simpler time when men went out of an evening in shirt and tie, racing cars ran on petrol and beer cost less than sweets.

I got screwed big time not being a teenager in the 60's.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 91 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 127 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000