Sim Racing Gear: What do You Run and Why?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Racing Hardware.jpg

We ask you the community what sim racing gear you run with and why you have made your choices...

This is something a bit different and will (hopefully) be an interesting topic to discuss. Sim racing gear...

I believe we in the sim racing community are a bit of a unique gaming bunch, more often than not willing to spend considerable amounts of money on our hobby in a quest to find that perfect balance between comfort and realism. If you think of popular games like the FIFA football series or the many first person shooting games, we in sim racing usually have quite a bit more kit behind us when we take to the screens and engage in our hobby of choice.

Now pretty much every sim driver has a wheel and pedals, some picked up at bargain prices either new or used and some of us lucky enough to have a budget for something more high end like a direct drive wheel from one of the many manufacturers springing up in the marketplace.

But a wheel and pedals aren't the only thing a sim racer can use to help improve their driving experiences. We have things as minor as button boxes for additional things to press during a race event, all the way through to some truly impressive looking full motion rigs out on the market today (please, if you are rich and appreciate my articles do feel free to buy me a motion rig, I'd really really appreciate it ;) ).

So what do you use, and why do you think it improves your racing experience out on track?

Let's have a debate :D

For more news, discussion and support on the hardware side of sim racing, take a look over at our Sim Racing Hardware sub forum and get yourself involved in the conversation!

* Picture credit taken from Pintrest

Last edited:
I have the same pedals and pretty much play Assetto Corsa. When I first started using the pedals the break did not feel consistent. It felt like I had to push it pretty hard to get it to do anything and once it did something it was usually to much brake and skidding. Very unstable feeling when it came time to stop.

I found out that in Assetto Corsa there is an option called Brake Gamma and it default value is 2. With a loadcell brake that option needs to be set to 1 so the loadcell can take on load. Once I changed that the break pedal became amazing.

Have you checked that option?
Thanks for that :)

I haven't been playing much Assetto Corsa lately but want to get more into it soon. In other games I play, there's usually a sensitivity setting for the brakes which is basically the "curve".

With my CSP V3, I would always brake too much, release them not enough, or release them too much. Sometimes, both would happen (too much then not enough) all in 1 braking phase. It was a nightmare for me. I tried with and without the Brake Performance Kit and with and without the Clubsport Damper but there was always an issue somewhere.

I read in the iRacing forums that the loadcell itself in the CSP V3 is naturally non-linear and I wouldn't be surprised if the person who said that is right.

I heard the CSL Elites have a much more "normal" and linear loadcell so I sold my V3s and got the CSL Elite. Braking is still not perfect like when I used non-loadcell brakes, but it's much better than the V3s. There's something inherently wrong in the V3s brake in my and some others' (mostly in the iRacing forums) opinion and as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that :)

I haven't been playing much Assetto Corsa lately but want to get more into it soon. In other games I play, there's usually a sensitivity setting for the brakes which is basically the "curve".

With my CSP V3, I would always brake too much, release them not enough, or release them too much. Sometimes, both would happen (too much then not enough) all in 1 braking phase. It was a nightmare for me. I tried with and without the Brake Performance Kit and with and without the Clubsport Damper but there was always an issue somewhere.

I read in the iRacing forums that the loadcell itself in the CSP V3 is naturally non-linear and I wouldn't be surprised if the person who said that is right.

I heard the CSL Elites have a much more "normal" and linear loadcell so I sold my V3s and got the CSL Elite. Braking is still not perfect like when I used non-loadcell brakes, but it's much better than the V3s. There's something inherently wrong in the V3s brake in my and some others' (mostly in the iRacing forums) opinion and as well.
That sounds like the same experience I was having till I set the brake option to 1:1

Upvote 0
Hi!
I'm planning on exchanging my current shakers for the Sinustec BS250 as well. Could you give some thoughts on how do they perform? I currently have 2xSinuslive Bass Pump III (those are the ones I want to change) and one Reckhorn BS-200. I wonder how would the Sinustec compare to these and if it would be a worthy upgrade?
Thanks in advance for any information and thoughts on it you could share

Hi i got all three Shaker´s . The Sinutec BS250 are better as Bass Pump but i would buy something like the AuraSound AST-2B for 100€ or dayton Audio BST-1 for 60€.

Upvote 0
Hi i got all three Shaker´s . The Sinutec BS250 are better as Bass Pump but i would buy something like the AuraSound AST-2B for 100€ or dayton Audio BST-1 for 60€.
As you own all three of them: what do you like more on the Sinustec BS250 compared to the Bass Pump? Is it the frequency range? Is the Sinustec also better than the Reckhorn BS-200? How 'audible' (as in annoying noise) is the Sinustec compared to the Bass Pump?

Upvote 0
As you own all three of them: what do you like more on the Sinustec BS250 compared to the Bass Pump? Is it the frequency range? Is the Sinustec also better than the Reckhorn BS-200? How 'audible' (as in annoying noise) is the Sinustec compared to the Bass Pump?

The Sinustec BS250 are a bit stronger they give more tactile force as the Bass Pump.
The Reckhorn BS-200 are stronger then Sinutec BS250 but i think they both from the same Company and the sinutec is the small brother from the Reckhorn. To reduce the Noise Level it is very importend to split your rig from your Floor with rubber . If you buy the Reckhorn BS-200 you get some rubber in the box.
I can´t tell you any scientific Facts about the Bass Shakes just my opinion
The differents between the Reckhorn and the Bass Pump are high but the differents between the Aura and Bass Pump are much greater.
And very importend you Need pa amplifier don´t buy a digital amplifier just not enough Power.

If you are from Germany i could sell you 8 Bass Pumps that i dont use.

Upvote 0
The Sinustec BS250 are a bit stronger they give more tactile force as the Bass Pump.
The Reckhorn BS-200 are stronger then Sinutec BS250 but i think they both from the same Company and the sinutec is the small brother from the Reckhorn. To reduce the Noise Level it is very importend to split your rig from your Floor with rubber . If you buy the Reckhorn BS-200 you get some rubber in the box.
The differents between the Reckhorn and the Bass Pump are high but the differents between the Aura and Bass Pump are much greater.
And very importend you Need pa amplifier don´t buy a digital amplifier just not enough Power.

Can I ask if it is the RECKHORN BS200i (IMPROVED) version you have? See HERE
Would you consider doing some frequency tests of all three and placing results in the General Tactile thread?

It would be good to get a more detailed comparison with the frequencies they output and to how well they operate within their own ranges. This could be important to help determine what is the best performing budget tactile unit on the market. The ADX is the new Aura Pro model with improvements as well but it is closer to the £80 region or $69.

Is this the best after the ADX and costing under 50 Euro!

Note:
Silver connectors were used on the original BS 200 the new improved 200i model have Gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got both the newer Reckhorn with the Gold Connectors and the Silver.
Cant feel big improvments
Visual the Metal Case is a bit larger.
Sorry can´t do any frequency Tests dont no how no time and just to lazy. Sorry

Upvote 0
Raced many years with a G25. Upgraded to t300gt last year with t3pa pedals with cone mod. Next purchase would be pedals. Also last year I got a ASUS Predator ultrawide screen and a Jetseat 908, both help with immersion, especially the Jetseat. Couldn't upload the pictures because file size too large.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea