Sim lab P1 vs GT 1

I am close to purchasing my first 8020 rig and really like the look of the Sim lab P1 and GT 1 sim rigs . Apart from obviously the price difference what are the advantages or disadvantages of either from anyone with experience of these rigs ?? Struggling to decide..

Hi gents, I have another possibly-dumb question re the P1-X seat mounting. I'm in Australia, so I have to buy a seat separately from the cockpit.

As far as I can tell, the seat rails on the chassis are in a fixed position, i.e. they can't be set wider (in the images they're already as wide as they can go) or narrower (the triangular brackets look like they need to be installed in the longitudunal 40x160). The slider and bracket set are installed on top of those rails, again in a fixed position width-wise (it seems).

Are my assumptions incorrect? If so, how is allowance made for seats with wider or narrower mounting holes, or are all seats made with exactly the same width between mounting holes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The P1 has a 160mm bottom rail, the GT1 has an 80mm bottom rail. Both should be completely sufficient for sim racing as a rigid and sturdy base. The GT1 seems to have a more versatile pedal deck, allowing more height and adjustment that the P1 pedal deck. That said, the pedal deck on the P1 seems to look a little nicer, but it will not be as adjustable as the GT1, which may or may not affect you personally. The P1 also comes standard with a brace for the gear shift/accessory mount that connects the end of it with the bottom frame, the GT1 does not and has the arm finish in mid air. I think the seat mounting frame is identical on both, but the GT1 may be a slightly wider chassis overall which may affect the dimensions of the seat mount frame. We're talking 50mm or so, so not a great deal. Both have an option of either a front mounted wheel deck, or a traditional shelf style wheel deck mount and both have the same adjust-ability.

Apart from that, they are very similar cockpits. I chose the GT1 over the P1 mainly because I wanted the added versatility in the pedal deck. It seems you can get your pedals up high enough to simulate lying down in an F1 car, provided you get your seat low enough to maintain that level with the maximum height of the pedal deck. In the end. I actually added the bracing for the side mount to mine as I liked the idea of that arm being fully fixed. I run shifter and handbrake on that arm so it's highly beneficial to have it especially with a handbrake.

I am super happy with mine, it took some messing around to get it exactly where I wanted it to be, but that was mainly due to me adding certain bits not standard on the GT1 build and needing extra profile to mount my V3 motion platform and my seat to said platform, which was a little awkward. Check out my build log with the GT1 for a more in depth look at the chassis in the way I have it configured. It may help you make a decision :)
sorry to drag up an old thread but roughly what was the cost of freight to Australia ?

thank you

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes