1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

sharing setups vs. sharing race strategy

Discussion in 'Presto GP' started by Reik Major, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium Member

Guys I like to get your opinion (and maybe a final gentlemen agreement) on the following question which often comes to my mind when drivers tell about their race strategy in the setups thread:

Do we want to share our race strategy with each other prior an event?

My personal answer is "No".

In contrast to sharing setups which is meant to ensure that all drivers have a good base to start the race with I don't want to know what drivers are going to do during the race. I would compare it a little bit with the weather which I also don't want to know what it is going to do in the race.

I don't want to say that discussing strategies should be forbidden, because it may help someone who doesn't have enough time to practice to make his decision. But it adds very much to the challenge and the fun if I don't know what strategies the drivers around me finally have chosen. So if they'd announce it before the race, it would have an influence on my decision and kill some part of the fun.

What are your opinions and answers to the question above?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Pit strategy is part of racing and you certainly won't say to all "i'll take this corner slowly, you can pass me easily there"... Some kind of info of 1-stop vs 2-stop times and stint lengths is another matter. That' just technical stuff that helps deciding the strategy without huge amount of laps devoted solely to find out something that when shared is a lot more efficient. Just think if 20+ drivers all have to drive three race lengths just to know the basics on top of the regular training schedule.. 20 drivers * 3h= 60h. Three drivers, one race length each, share the results: 3 * 1h =3h.

Individual race strategies mandatory sharing: no
    General race strategy sharing: yes

• Like Like x 4
  3. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium Member

That's what I mean Kennett. A general discussion about strategy with sharing experiences from those who have some is a very good thing. I support that when ever I can. But I don't want drivers to reveal what they exactly do then.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Valter Ostman

Valter Ostman
    PrestoGP Veteran

You are right Reik, we should keep it to ourselves, spread rumors or lie about it;) . It's a part of the racing that adds extra pleasure on top of it all. Sorry for making that mistake in another post mate.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium Member

He, he... Did I say something? :p :roflmao: ;) :whistling:

6. I'm in favour to do not reveal which strategy we go for each race also, but after very talking about strategy and some tests i really don't know what's the best option for us/for me, but for sure we shouldn't reveal what we gonna do like in Istanbul where i was not sure about Reik strategy seeing him flying by ^^ ... so like you say this is part of race and reveal it shorten much fun, and an important part of racing...

• Like Like x 3
  7. Valter Ostman

Valter Ostman
    PrestoGP Veteran

You'll never know what is true or not in this business:roflmao: Things can change, weather can change:)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ahah good point Valter we are working on bluff lool :p

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium Member

Ha, ha. Last year I was playing with the thought of posting rubbish setups when the other guys got quicker and quicker in the second half of the season. :devilish: ;)

PS: You're a bad boy Valter! :whistling:

• Like Like x 5
  10. The intention has always been that setup is 100% transparent while strategy is a secret, and I still support that :)

• Like Like x 6
  11. Valerio Vinassa

Valerio Vinassa
    PrestoGP Veteran

+1 Reik (post 1)
    I not have your skill but is really part of fun understand what have did others guys, are things to keep and put in the suitcase;)

• Like Like x 5
  12. It's better to keep race strategy as a secret before race. It's always fun to guess what strategies our rivals are using :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Jim Hawley

Jim Hawley
    PrestoGP Veteran

For sure it's ok to discuss our findings from testing various fuel levels vs lap times and comparing tyre wear etc, but we can do this without actually revealing what stratagy we will use come race day

We may have a hunch what others may do but it's best if we don't know for sure

Jim

• Like Like x 7
  14. My strategy will always be to fuel up and then drive as fast as I dare.:)

Always is nice to know how much fuel is required to complete a race safely. At Silvers I started with 105 and then added another 100, finishing with about 18 L [3 laps] still in the tank. Better than worrying about whether I am carrying enough.

• Like Like x 7