Seeking Suggestions: How to Make the Best Use Out of VRS?

I have raced online only in a number of RD races - never in iRacing. And my results have been consistently poor. However, I now belong to iRacing and am considering signing up for Virtual Racing School (VRS).

What's the best approach for someone like me to get the most out of VRS? Is it best to choose an iRacing series and run it in conjunction with VRS? If so, I'm looking for suggestions on which series to choose. (I prefer road courses.) Obviously, I'm looking for a series where I can improve car control and speed without being too hard. (I don't want to be matched up with a grid that's over my head...).

So far, I own only the default iRacing cars and tracks, plus the car (Porsche 911) and most of the tracks supporting the new AI.

So, are there any ideas to get me started down this road? <No pun intended>.

Thanks!

Personally.....I'd start small and work your way up.
I'd start with the Skippy or Mx5 series and work on your race craft. Than if you feel confident with the vehicles move up a series.

Vrs supplies tunes and onboard laps which you can use and analyze.
The main thing with VRS is understanding telemetry and being able to / attempting to replicate the VRS lines and braking points.

Alot of people jump into iracing and think there the next Lando Norris of simracing cause they kicked ass in gt sport, fast track through the licenses to get to the gt3 class than quickly realize there is alot to learn....usually bitching and complaining along the way.

Start slow and work your way up.

Participate in one or 2 series to gain experience and confidence. 1 race a week in each for 8 of the 12 weeks and you will get participation credits up to $10 a season....times that by 4 seasons and that's $40 a yr iracing will give you towards content or your next subscription renewal.

I'd also go through these videos which might help.

Iracing basic training.

I believe these videos are on the forms as well....pretty sure if you watch them there you will receive accomplishment awards.

Scott Mansell pro driver and driving coach has also started a channel dedicated to sim racing with some useful info.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to add me on iracing
Dave Slute

Last edited:
Thanks so much! This info really helps, Dave.

Another question: Say I want to join the Mazda MX-5 Global Rookie Season, which should be starting up very soon. My understanding is that the season lasts 12 weeks with race at a different track each week. If, for example, I can't race in Week 1, are there "make-up" races in Weeks 2, 3, ... etc?

In other words, If I don't join the series until, say week 8, can I still fully participate in all official series races on each of the earlier week's tracks to sort of "catch up"? ( ie - Are there official series races still available to race in at all of the earlier week's tracks?) Or am I limited to racing at Week 1's track only during Week 1, and Weeks 2's track only during Week 2, etc? (I hope my wording of the question isn't too confusing...)

Thanks again.

Bert

You can only race the track that is available for that week, no going back and you only need to complete 8 of the 12 weeks....4 drop weeks.

I am not a 100% but I don't believe they give season credits for the rookie class, only D class to A

I'm a little late to this, but thought I'd share how I use VRS.

Right now I'm in the BMW 12.0 Fixed series.
The tracks change late Monday night.
So Tuesday morning I go to DataSets from the VRS menu and select the series and track for the week.
Then I watch their instructional video that shows you how to drive the course.
Then from VRS I test drive in iRacing so it gives me identical weather conditions and I run say 20 laps.
Then I use the VRS analysis to compare my driving to their example looking for places where I'm losing a lot of ground to their example.
I go back out and drive a few more laps trying to improve my time.
When get within 4-5 sec of the example I jump into a Practice session for the race and see how I'm holding up to the other people racing.
After about half an hour of that I typically jump into a race.

The next day I watch the video again, do some a bit of test driving and try to improve another .5-1 sec.
Then I enter another practice session and enter another race.

At Donington last week I got within 3 sec of the VRS example. Better drivers get closer than I do.

Right now I try to race when there is a big field because my iRating is pretty low and I like to be grouped with people who are at about my level. If I jump into a race first thing in the morning it is typically a small field and I get grouped with much stronger drivers than me. As my skill improves I'll be less concerned about the field size.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.3%