F1 2017 Rubber Band physics, are they in the game?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Does anyone know if CM implemented a rubber band type of system for the AI in F12017?

I'm relatively late to getting back into the game as I usually play AC, however, am thoroughly enjoying a full-length season at the moment with AI at about 82/110 (I think) in a Toro Rosso.

I just completed the Canadian GP, qualified for my second Pole (and in the wet) and was about to take my first race win YAY! (obviously I need to readjust the AI a little higher now).

However, my question stems from the fact Hamilton and his Mercedes caught me on the final laps at a phenomenal rate - one I don't believe was accurate going off his previous laps. Its as if a rubber band (for anyone that remembers that terminology for the Gran Turismo days) pulled him so fast towards me I was unable to keep ahead, even with punching out fastest lap after fastest lap for the last 8 laps, he continually ran them down.

It didn't help that I'd previously got a 3 second penalty when trying to navigate around Alonso when he was getting a blue flag - my god the blue flag AI is horrendous, particularly in the last chicane at Canada!

I was hard pressed beating Hamilton and his rubber band powered Merc let alone maintain a 3 second gap - that I argue shouldn't have been awarded in the first place. To make matters worse Hamilton only got my on the very last chicane and he also cut it after I dive bombed up the inside.

So thats my story of woe how I got my first podium, but lost my first race win.
Anyone got a clue about the rubber band physics?

It's not exactly rubber banding, but it's the way CM decided to simulate the loss of fuel throughout the race (car gets lighter, lap times drop), so the AI cars get a bit faster every 10 laps or so (depends on track).

The thing is, you don't get the same boost in performance ( or at least your increase in performance is lesser compared to the AI's gains), so the AI always catches up at the end.

I'm guessing CM doesn't "fix" this because the AI are always very slow on their initial stint, so their late race pace kind of balances their early race pace.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%