rFactor 2 New Build Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Updated.jpg

rFactor 2 has today received a small update, adding various fixes as well as improvements to the way shadows are displayed within the game.

Deployed today to Steam, the new rFactor 2 build looks to be more of an intermediate hotfix update rather than a full scale new build, focussing mainly on addressing some outstanding issues caused by the recent build 1109 December release.

Although with a heavy focus towards rectifying outstanding issues, the new build is notable for the new inclusion of ambient undercar shadows, designed to both offer a visual improvement in various weather conditions as well as providing a more stable solution than that what was employed previously.

You can check out the latest build update notes below...

rFactor 2 Steam Build ID 2438696
  • Fixed join lag in multiplayer
  • Updated language files (to avoid crashing when the LSI screen was active)
  • Fixed wipers on/off in replay
  • Fixed rain in cockpit in MP sessions
  • Fixed V-sync software with 'custom resolution' (Config_DX11.ini)
  • Fixed TCP Matchmaker error message in the dedicated server UI
  • Added an all new ambient undercar shadow: more stable, reliable, and clearly visible even at night. The shadows can no longer clip through the ground, nor are they visible on the ground below a bridge when a car drives over that bridge. This new tech requires no intervention from content creators. We automatically remove the current undercar art and replace it with the new system. On subsequent updates, content creators can remove the old artwork.
Important Note: Please make sure and update your SteamCMD Dedicated server by running the command again in terminal.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Have you tried the latest version of rFactor 2 yet? Do you like the new shadows? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Problem is it would be frowned upon to change the minimum specs of the game further down the line.

People could legitimately say 'you recommended a potato PC and I had a potato PC so I bought your game. Now I need a carrot PC so I can't play your game any more'.

Much as it would be nice to see, I doubt there's much they can do except release a new game.

req.jpg

Problem is it would be frowned upon to change the minimum specs of the game further down the line.

People could legitimately say 'you recommended a potato PC and I had a potato PC so I bought your game. Now I need a carrot PC so I can't play your game any more'.

Much as it would be nice to see, I doubt there's much they can do except release a new game.

View attachment 231109

DX11 is supposed to be a new game. The fact that even Mad Max looks better and moves smoother on the same specs is just a sign that there's plenty of room for engine optimizations. And while I hope there will be more, can't ignore what's already been done. I don't have a potato pc (4790k + 1070 gtx), and rf2 used to move like a brick on wheels up until 2 updates ago.

DX11 is supposed to be a new game. The fact that even Mad Max looks better and moves smoother on the same specs is just a sign that there's plenty of room for engine optimizations. And while I hope there will be more, can't ignore what's already been done. I don't have a potato pc (4790k + 1070 gtx), and rf2 used to move like a brick on wheels up until 2 updates ago.

Totally agree. I'm so tired hearing people defending rf2 performance when the forum.studio-397.com is full of people complaining about the performance with i7 and 1080.

Searching for performance resulted in this:
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-1109-build-updates.59017/#post-930135
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-1109-build-updates.59017/#post-930138

But you can go on and on and on and on. The forum is full of performance issues.

Dady Cairo

Cat-Car
Totally agree. I'm so tired hearing people defending rf2 performance when the forum.studio-397.com is full of people complaining about the performance with i7 and 1080.

Searching for performance resulted in this:
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-1109-build-updates.59017/#post-930135
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-1109-build-updates.59017/#post-930138

But you can go on and on and on and on. The forum is full of performance issues.

Also here no Potato-PC and this isn't funny anymore...only frustrating.
Since Mr Elliot started the DX11 thang...i come up/back with the game ,when i hear positiv reviews of performance.Don't like to be a "testing-fool",when the problems are on the programmers side for over a year.
DC

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
I am enjoying R3E too much now to look at rF2 until they have a final release with the new UI and whatever else has been promised. Not upset, actually looking forward to that day, but for now the Callaway C7.R will remain in the garage til then. Good luck S397.

I have a strong pc (i5@4,4ghz,16gb ram and TitanXP) in my mancave and i only drive with rift (ASW is your friend), for me the game runs ok now, still needs some optimizations, but its on a good way and rf2 is really ok for having cool races with rain and day/night cycles

In AC, you can see car ambient shadows in the rear view mirror. AC uses a simple way that each car have two shadows. One is dynamic, the other is static mapping. You can see static mapping in the rear view. Although it's a not so good way, but it doesn't make cars floating in the rear view. And it doesn't impact FPS. Problem is, if a car bumped, you will easily see two shadows.

Rfactor2 right now...for me anyway is where RRE was a year ago, in terms of personal use.
I 'fire' it up every few months...try to get into an online session, become irritated after 10-12 failed attempts, shut it down and start something else.
I grew tired of seeing 'bad file descriptor' and 'unable to download content' errors.
I actually did not touch it for almost a year...not because it runs bad, but because I can't seem to get into multiplayer sessions.
I just recently ran a few single-player laps at LRP with Enduracer's Flat 6 V4 mod on DX11.
It ran fine but that one major aspect I want to see addressed, doesn't seem to be a priority.
I'm not sure it ever will be.

Last edited:
Rf2 right now...for me anyway is where RRE was a year ago in terms of my personal use.
I 'fire' it up every few months... try to get into an online session, become discouraged after 10-12 failed attempts, shut it down and start something else.
I actually did not touch it for almost a year...not because it runs bad, but because I can't get into most multiplayer sessions.
I just recently ran a few singleplayer laps at LRP with Enduracer's Flat 6 V4 mod on DX11.
It ran fine but that one major aspect I want to see addressed, doesn't seem to be a priority.
I'm not sure it ever will be.
Sounds like someone desperately needs iRacing. Since I joined, I never fired up RF2 again.

In AC, you can see car ambient shadows in the rear view mirror. AC uses a simple way that each car have two shadows. One is dynamic, the other is static mapping. You can see static mapping in the rear view. Although it's a not so good way, but it doesn't make cars floating in the rear view. And it doesn't impact FPS. Problem is, if a car bumped, you will easily see two shadows.
I always wondered if that static shadow couldnt be programmed to fade out to transparent when a car is a certain distance up in the air. That way there isnt double shadows when a car jumps (for whatever reason lol).

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.7%
  • €3001-5000