Reinstalling AC when you have lots of mods.

Hi fellow AC fans,

I've had an issue with not being able to adjust tilt since installing motion compensation (OVRMC). I've since sacked it off because I couldn't get it calibrated properly, but even after uninstalling the app and WIT sensor the tilt function doesn't do anything when you change it. Very annoying in VR when you are looking at your feet!

this thread suggests a fresh install, though I am slightly hesitant to uninstall and re-download in case it puts me back to ground zero with my many mods.

Now I've backed up my AC folder - what is the best way to reinstall, retaining my mods if possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
Try running a file integrity check through Steam first. That'll repair any broken game files without a full reinstall, and won't touch any content mods you have. (Cars, tracks.) It will reset ini files and any Kunos car or track files you may have edited, like sound mods and such.

You don't have to reinstall the mods. The unistalling process will delete all the original content leaving untouched the mods. However if you have a mod that replaces an original file, then will be removed.

Thanks for the suggestions. Alas, neither worked for me so I have deleted assettocorsa folder and am reinstalling the base package to see if it is something external. What a pesky problem, something so small that causes such big stepts to have to be made to rectify. Thanks anyway.

So even after uninstalling, restarting, removing the assettocorsa folder from steam apps, restarting, and re-downloading and installing AC - I STILL don't have the tilt function working. FFS :(

So even after uninstalling, restarting, removing the assettocorsa folder from steam apps, restarting, and re-downloading and installing AC - I STILL don't have the tilt function working. FFS :(

Did you drop the old mod files back in overtop of the install, or is this is a pure vanilla install?

If you've dropped your old mod files on top, whatever was broken before is probably still broken. Likely it'll require a more fine-toothed-comb approach to reinstalling the mods to find the source of the issue.

If it's a vanilla install, I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
Did you try to rename your Documents/assettocorsa folder ( in order to keep a backup of your previous install ) then restart Assetto Corsa with the original launcher which will recreate a new folder and files.
Just choose your graphic resolution and have a test in order to check if your problem is solved.

If the problem is solved, in order to get your previous important settings ... copy the content of your most important folders ( as setups, controlers settings, replays for example ) ..... from the backup to the new created folder but ... do that with caution not to recreate the problem.
Therefore, copy those files in differents steps .... and after each step do a new test to check if the problem didn't reappear..... if this happens, you'll immediately know where the problem was ...but you'll need to make the whole operation again but avoid then to copy this faulty file from the backup to the new one of course.

Did you drop the old mod files back in overtop of the install, or is this is a pure vanilla install?

If you've dropped your old mod files on top, whatever was broken before is probably still broken. Likely it'll require a more fine-toothed-comb approach to reinstalling the mods to find the source of the issue.

If it's a vanilla install, I'm out of ideas.
It was a pure vanilla install before, and I tested before copying the mods back in. There was a silver lining to come out of it, in that even though the tilt is still not working, the default angle seems to be less 'downward' than it was, and feels to be an improvement - even after copying back in the mods over the top of the vanilla folder.

Did you try to rename your Documents/assettocorsa folder ( in order to keep a backup of your previous install ) then restart Assetto Corsa with the original launcher which will recreate a new folder and files.
Just choose your graphic resolution and have a test in order to check if your problem is solved.

If the problem is solved, in order to get your previous important settings ... copy the content of your most important folders ( as setups, controlers settings, replays for example ) ..... from the backup to the new created folder but ... do that with caution not to recreate the problem.
Therefore, copy those files in differents steps .... and after each step do a new test to check if the problem didn't reappear..... if this happens, you'll immediately know where the problem was ...but you'll need to make the whole operation again but avoid then to copy this faulty file from the backup to the new one of course.
I fully backed up the folder to another drive. Uninstalled AC, then completely deleted the AC folder and started vanilla. It must be something else in my system, but I'll be damned if I can work out what it is.

I would have been prepared to go through the troubleshooting steps you suggested to see where the problem was introduced if it wasn't there at the vanilla stage, but there doesn't seem much point as the problem persists even there.

I cant seem to find out much about this specific tilt problem. For now I'll just have to live with not having it, unless someone has any alternative suggestions.

As mentioned in the previous post, it doesn't seem as bad since the reinstall - like its gone back to a 'default' position. On much more positive note, I installed opencomposite for the first time (wondering if the SteamVR still had a component that was effecting the tilt setting) and WOW, it really is like having a graphics card upgrade. Got a significant fps increase on the most demanding online servers (shutoko, traffic, rainfx) where it's now holding solidly over 60fps - which is totally acceptable.

Overall - a win

Thanks all

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes