Resource icon

Misc Realistic Downforce & Grip Mod 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
s00zster submitted a new resource:

Realistic Downforce & Grip Mod - Takes the edge off the unrealistic lack of grip in F1 2021

I've created a mod that should help with the lack of downforce and grip in F1 2021. It's not a crazy mega downforce mod or anything like that, just something that takes the edge off the unrealistcally unforgiving physics in the game has this year.

I was inspired to make it after seeing people's reactions and comparisons between the newly released iRacing Mercedes and the F1 cars in F1 2021, the general feeling being that driving an F1 car is a lot easier and more fun than F1 2021 makes out...

Read more about this resource...

First off, huge kudos and thanks. As for 50% race, at least on practice, running mediums, after three laps the left front was down to 79%. I run a little hard on the tires so my wear will probably be a little more than others but, so far that's what i'm at. The other tires were mid to low 80's. I'll update after the race is complete.

First off, huge kudos and thanks. As for 50% race, at least on practice, running mediums, after three laps the left front was down to 79%. I run a little hard on the tires so my wear will probably be a little more than others but, so far that's what i'm at. The other tires were mid to low 80's. I'll update after the race is complete.
Tyre wear itself hasn't been edited, so that's most likely down to your driving style or setup. My main concern was how the grip would be when it got to lower wear levels, as I've increased the Max Grip value, but left Min Grip as default.

Last edited:
Tyre wear itself hasn't been edited, so that's most likely down to your driving style or setup. My main concern was how the grip would be when it got to lower wear levels, as I've increased the Max Grip value, but left Min Grip as default.
Oh the grip wears off but it is still great. When you get to about 50 or 45, then yea, you start slipping bad, but it's good.

Ok, so here is what I got. 50% race at China, 3 pit stops, qualified in top 10 so i started on reds, stopped at lap 4, Hards on second stint and stopped at lap 15, Mediums on 3rd stint, stopped last at lap 21 and finished the race on Mediums. The lowest my tires got was about 55% on Mediums and I def. lost grip, but no a bunch to undriveable. All in all I'd say very good on this man. Thanks alot!

So wait, did you give everyone equally more grip/downforce?
Yeah, I increased the downforce values in every car file, including My Team cars, by 0.11, and max grip by 0.5. This means whichever car you drive will get the benefit from it. It also means that the AI will get it too, but all you have to do is adjust the difficulty to suit. The important thing is the player's car feels less slippery now.

If there's anything that needs adjusting further, let me know.

Ok, so here is what I got. 50% race at China, 3 pit stops, qualified in top 10 so i started on reds, stopped at lap 4, Hards on second stint and stopped at lap 15, Mediums on 3rd stint, stopped last at lap 21 and finished the race on Mediums. The lowest my tires got was about 55% on Mediums and I def. lost grip, but no a bunch to undriveable. All in all I'd say very good on this man. Thanks alot!
That's great to hear, thanks!

Edit: I wil probably increase the minimum grip value by a little bit, just to keep things a bit more proportionate. This will also probably affect wet races, so I'll be testing that as well today.

Personally, I'm finding myself spinning off quite a bit when my tyres start wearing. This is the same behaviour I had without the mod (obviously, because the min grip is at default values) so I'd personally like to improve this anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks! Very useful as I have many lines edited and I have to proceed manually :laugh:
Do you use Notepad++? If not, use that with the Replace function.

Stick all your XMLs in a folder, drag and drop the folder into N++, the files will appear in a window on the left, then just double click on each one they'll open into the main window.

Then go to Search > Replace, copy and paste the line you want to edit in the top row (the line you want to change has to be the same in all the files you want to edit and if there are duplicate lines in the file, it'll edit those too) and in the Replace row, paste it again and edit it to what you want it to be. Then on the right, click Replace in All Open Files and it'll change it for every file you've got open in the main window.

Then in the top left, there's an icon with 3 save disks. Click that and all the files will save and overwrite at once.

It's a real time-saver. :thumbsup:

Do you use Notepad++? If not, use that with the Replace function.

Stick all your XMLs in a folder, drag and drop the folder into N++, the files will appear in a window on the left, then just double click on each one they'll open into the main window.

Then go to Search > Replace, copy and paste the line you want to edit in the top row (the line you want to change has to be the same in all the files you want to edit and if there are duplicate lines in the file, it'll edit those too) and in the Replace row, paste it again and edit it to what you want it to be. Then on the right, click Replace in All Open Files and it'll change it for every file you've got open in the main window.

Then in the top left, there's an icon with 3 save disks. Click that and all the files will save and overwrite at once.

It's a real time-saver. :thumbsup:
Wowww, you are the man! I used Notepad++ but didn't know about this function. This will help a lot!

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 130 70.7%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 43 23.4%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 37 20.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 38 20.7%