RDHCS S9 - Round 5 - 100km (27 Laps) - Mo I Rana - Tue 6th November 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Club Series Season 9 Round 5 – The home of Ford. No, hang on…the home of Fjords. That’s right.

Welcome back to Round 5 of the RDHCS Season 9.

Firstly – my apologies for the lateness of this briefing – as some or all of you know, I work for a New York based firm, and it has had some issues in the last week, and that has caused my enforced focus on work rather than the RDHCS.

There were some avoidable accidents in Round4, and avoidable ones are the most frustrating for the victims. People apologised, knowing that they were in the wrong, but I want to see better awareness from people in this race. I stress over and over again about safe re-entries, so it isn’t like drivers are not aware. I would also re-stress the thing I always say about not having arguments in the post-race chats. We got close to it here without crossing the line, and I’d prefer not to get that close again, please.

Like a lot of the races so far this season, Round 4 for me was a case of two steps forward, one step back. Getting into the top 10 and then having a total concentration failure to drop back down to my starting position…well, there seems to be a pattern emerging.

Moving 2,200 miles North North-East, we leave balmy Estoril and swap shorts, flappy shirts and espedrilles for long-johns, heavy boots and elaborate wooly hats as we return to the site of one of the best races of previous seasons – Round 3, Season 5, fact fans – The Arctic Circle Raceway in Mo I Rana, Norway.

event5.jpg

Circuit Notes

The Arctic Circle Raceway is situated (perhaps unsurprisingly considering the name) just 20 miles South of the Arctic Circle in Northern Norway. It is a 2.3mile / 3.7km track, with a total altitude change from lowest point to highest point of over 100feet / 31m. It is also one of only 2 tracks in our season to run anti-clockwise.

ACR first opened in 1995, and retains the original layout to the current day. Due to it’s extreme Northern location, it has the possibility for 24 hour racing in full daylight because of the midnight sun during the Norwegian Summer.

It is a relatively fast track, generous in width all the way around, allowing a multitude of racing lines to be employed. It places emphasis on high speed sweeps rather than tight turns, but like all the best tracks, it uses gradient to add another degree of difficulty to what appear at first glance to be simple turns. It doesn’t have a jump like both Jops & Knutstorp, but the gradient is extremely cannily used and means that over late braking or over eager acceleration can easily result in loss of control through the corner, or more importantly on exit.

Mo I Rana starts with a good length straight with the S/F line about 50% of the way along. The grid boxes are not particularly tightly packed, which means that some of the lower qualifiers may find themselves starting on the exit of the last hairpin. The straight is long enough on a normal lap that you will be at very nearly full speed as you approach T1L.

T1L drops away and to the left, and is in itself not a tricky corner, although it has the ability to punish drivers who go in too hot. However, it is immediately followed by the climbing and slightly off-camber T2R, so any over indulgence or overambition through T1L will result in a severely compromised T2R, which you can ill afford as it exits onto an uphill straight, where all possible momentum is needed.

T3L needs to be attacked as aggressively as possible, as it is another uphill turn followed by another uphill straight, but then it’s hard on the anchors for T4L. This is the highest point on the track, and is a heavily cambered, cresting hairpin. A good laptime needs T4L to be handled well and cleanly, because the exit begins a long decent under hard acceleration, and any time lost in T4L will be very hard to make up.

The downhill section following T4L begins with a short squirt and into T5R, which some cars will be able to take flat out, and once negotiated, the downhill section continues through T6L, which is really just a kink taken flat out and poses no real problem.

The hard acceleration continues down to the T7R & T8L, the Esses. These are very high speed Esses, guarded on the outside by some very sticky sand. At the end of that straight is one of the best corners on the track, T9L. This is a heavily positive cambered turn that, if you get right, feels glorious, but as with so many of the ACR corners, anybody taking liberties will be punished by sudden loss of grip, compromising their times quite badly. T9L is followed by another downhill straight, which leads up to one of the more testing corners, T10R.

T10R needs to be taken fast, but to be quick through here is difficult, as the fairly high inside kerb will throw you across the track and into the waiting sand if you go too tight. Another downhill straight and you arrive at T11R, the lowest point of the track. Another medium speed, slippery corner, it leads you into the penultimate straight where you start climbing again, before standing on the brakes for the final corner T12L.

A climbing hairpin, it’s difficult to defend if someone is closing in behind you, as it allows various lines through at near optimum speed, so it’s always a test, right to the end of the Race, and complacency will be punished.

Arctic%20Circle.gif

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting. The worst offenders from previous seasons have not signed up, so I hope that this will be a non-issue this season.

Racing Room must be given to all drivers – and this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

T1L & T2R – Especially on Lap1. This is a high speed section and one of the few places on the lap where the track narrows and funnels the pack. People could easily drop a wheel onto the sand and suddenly spin. Be aware of people around you, and of the racing line, as there is a lot of lateral movement through this section. Also be aware that any incidents caused by reckless or over aggressive driving in Turn 1 during the first lap will be dealt with severely, probably with a “no quali” penalty for Round 6. The difference between this and previous tracks this season is the speed here will be much higher. Excursions off track will be further, so safe re-entries are a must.

T7R & T8L – Esses. The temptation is to straight line these Esses as it is a very fast section of track, especially as the kerbs are so wide here, but all drivers need to make sure that 2 wheels are kept on the track at all times. Please report any persistent and deliberate cutting through this section.

T10R – The kerb can throw people across the track, so you will need to be aware of sudden changes in line from people immediately in front of you.

All points on the track – General Items

Drivers may put on their lights (and keep them on) during a timed qualification lap, so other drivers know to get out of the way when safe to do so.
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the Race Session.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There were no reported incidents from Round 4

There was 1 no no-show in Round 4

Konstantin Paul receives a second no-show infraction, and is removed from the League.

As a change from last season, and as a result that I am personally reminding you of each race with the new posts and the PM for passwords, 2 no-shows will mean removal from the League, whether they are consecutive or not.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHCS event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHCS.

Reporting Attendance

As GPCOS seems to be down, I will be sending a PM with the round password to all Signed-Up drivers. I will also be running an “Attendance” post. If you are definitely driving, you need to “like” the post. If you are NOT driving (or if you are unsure of attendance) you must post a reply to say so. If there is no response, or if a response is posted after 2 hours before race start time on race day, it will be treated as a No-Show. Again 2 No-Shows will mean removal from the league.

Scoring System

Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :

P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

A great track from my first RDHGP season, woo. Had an incident with Hans and Warren in the opening lap. Hope this time it goes better for us all :p

Lol, now you remind me Senad. :p:sneaky:

I recall smashing my poor Mini to within an inch of it's life in lap 1. Then had to run the entire race with an ugly looking Mini with matching ugly handling. :cry:

This is a really nice track though. :)

Also, that event flyer is awesome:cool:
Where possible, I've been using real life event programmes and then cleaning/editing. Some have been period progs from the actual track, some have been from places close to the track in question, some have just been a layout base.

This one was from (I think) a Swedish track, so I had to do a Swedish -> Norwegian translation on the Lucas ad. which I hope Knut forgives me for if it says something awful.

Thanks for letting me know I was lagging Knut. I hit escape as soon as I saw your mssg.
I think I might be out of this league until the lag goes away.

I'm sorry if my lagging messed anyone's race up tonight.

Damn it, I was running 6th and having a great time running away from Warren and trying to catch Neil. Oh well...shi...I mean, lag happens.

Flu.
Quali - same thing as in Estoril. Lost 4 tenths in last two corners on my best lap. Just dunno how I could lost so many time (maybe because of my annoying habit to watch on the lap timer during fast lap)
Race - same thing as in Umbria, Donington and Estoril. Stupid mistake (light touch of white line in the "wrong place"), heavy damage of the car, 45 degrees to the right on my steering wheel. Then again batlle with Martin and Jay. Freezes on the track several times. Three times in a row spins in T9L. Honestly, I wanted to press Esc after all this s...
Miracle and Super Soft BMW tires helped me to get 3rd place, right after Martin. Again.
I'm very tired and dissappointed of all my constant idiotic mistakes from race to race.

Well done to Rossco, Martin, Jay and others. Thanks to Stu and Knut.

P.S. sorry to Simon. I really didn't suspect such slow speed on the exit of T9L. My fault, but I couldn't avoid your car, mate. Where was too much difference in our speeds.
Back to Flu.

Came out from the camp to race and now I'm on my way back in. Wd podiums. Had some good racing with David and Jacob. Very tired right now... did not mean to leave TS without saying good bye but I closed the program by accidentally clicking on the icon on the task bar. Went back in but all were gone. :laugh:

Had a little crack up at the beginning and couldn't seemed to getting a good groove after that. That's part of the racing ...sometimes your the hammer ..sometimes the nail.:p

Cheers all

Damn it, I was running 6th and having a great time running away from Warren and trying to catch Neil.

Actually Carlos, I dropped back about 200 meteres to help avoid your lagging ghost. I had already hit it once to go off track, and even after dropping back a safe distance (I thought), the ghost was still often solid if you hit it. Quite strange, it only seemed to occur when you were in front, in the mirrors it seemed ok. :confused:
You did miss some fun though as some of us spent plenty of time behind Neil's Vette (in my case, it was lots :whistling: ), none of us managing to get past though. :p

I hope you can get it sorted Carlos, I really enjoy our close racing in this League.

An uneventful... event... for me. Gave Knut a scare on lap 1 when I accidentally hit the pit limiter, went off a few times near the end, other than that mostly alone.
Made a lot of the same mistakes I made in my Cortina a long time ago. That hairpin goes on forever and ever and ever and ever...

Congratulations to podium finishers, and of course many thanks to Stu for organizing the whole thing, and for the very enjoyable introduction post and poster :thumbsup:
See you in the next one.

Yay, my replay worked ok this time, so I can submit my report.

This proved to be a very frustrating race for me, but I enjoyed the best battle I've had all season so far. :thumbsup:
This track seemed very suited to the Skyline, but I just wan't able to take full advantage.
Qualified P6, but surrounded by the usual suspects.
Once again, Neil's Vette streaked past off the line, and Carlos jumped alongside as we swapped our usual amount of paint, settling behind Jacob.
Through the looong tight left hander, Neil and Jacob came together in a heavy bump, so I backed off to give them breathing space, only to have Carlos grab the opportunity to sneak past on the exit. This also put Roland hot on my tail, as we all formed an orderly (but very close knit) train behind that red Vette, a sign of things to come for me.

Unfortunately, every so often, Carlos would lag and leave a very solid ghost to navigate. I eventually hit it and bounced off track through turn 4, so I decided to drop back a safer distance which allowed me to (mostly) miss Carlos ghost. Later, I saw Jacob hit the ghost and bounce into the wall through the fast chicane, rotten luck Jacob. :(. I soon caught Carlos again as he struggled to find a way past Neil's very wide Vette, but I was still having frights with Carlos' ghost. After Knut advised Carlos of his lagging, he quit, such a shame really, but it was quite dangerous. :confused:

That set the scene for the rest of the race for me, glued to Neil's tail, but unable to get a clean pass. Neil put on a clinic of defensive driving, and even though I was able to lap much faster, Neil dictated the race. He would brake early, dive to the inside under brakes, keep it tight through the turn, and use his power advantage exiting the turns. I tried many different lines, but to no avail, I even went off track trying for an outside pass. That put Knut on my tail now, so we both quickly caught Neil again. I finally got a good run through the turn 1, 2, & 3 complex, to give me an opening under brakes into the hairpin, but Neil closed the door early as I was going for the pass, and I tagged him slightly, causing him to spin. Sorry Neil. :redface: That gave Knut the opportunity of a lifetime to pass us both. I waited for Neil, and then decided that my only chance was for him to make a mistake as his tyres deteriorated. He didn't make any, so I had to be content with P7 in the end.
Some great racing there Neil, you sure know how to make that Vette very wide, but I'm sure you were working very hard to keep it so tight on this demanding track, and under a lot of pressure.

Thanks to Stu for the event, grats to Ross, Martin, and Dmytro, and thanks to all who joined.

I'm away on holidays from tomorrow, so will most likely miss the next Round. See you all when I get back. :)

Wow, I'm so sorry Warren and Jacob:redface:

I recently switched from AT&T to Comcast because AT&T didn't provide enough bandwidth. So whenever two PCs tried to get on youtube at the same time or tried to do anything that required a bit of bandwidth, it would all bog down. So I went with Comcast and my download speeds went from 4mb to 22mb per sec. I was very happy, but now I find out that a huge amount of Comcast subscribers are having lag problems while playing online.

Looks I might have to put up with the slower ISP with the better ping times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.2%