RD Rally Club - Roys Corsican Adventure - Rally4 at Rally Mediterraneo - 22nd to 27th Feb 2024

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
edvaWtj.jpeg

Is it possible to notice that I have become a fan of "creating" AI generated pictures?
Roy had a wish for Rally4 cars at the Corsican event. His wish is granted. Sorry for an even later post that usual. I got a bit stuck with Le Mans Ultimate! There is less stages than normal in this rally, but with the length of them, and some of the tight areas combined with the cars, it should be a long enough rally to provide a challenge! The stage where so many retired last time we used this rally is not included. Though, that bit of road, might be! Oh, and it is February. Still winter.

Session Open: 22nd of February 02:30 GMT to 27th of February 02:30GMT
Cars: Rally4
Itinerary:
Shakedown & 45 Min Service
SS1:
Serra De Cuzzioli - Morning - Light Snow - 7.7km
SS2: Poggiola - Morning - Overcast(Snow) - 8.5km
Service - 45 Min
SS3
: Cabanella - Morning - Cloudy(Snow) - 10.1km
SS4: Monte Alloradu - Afternoon - Cloudy(Wet) - 10.7km
Service - 45 Min
SS5:
Ponte - Sunset - Part Cloud (Dry) - 28.6km

Assists & Tuning: Allowed
Hardcore Damage: On!

Have fun! :D

To participate in the event, you must join our WRC-game Rally Club.
You can also read more about the Rally Club here.

Well, that went terribly as expected:
Spun on ss1, ugly rad damage on ss2 by hitting a boulder face-on after a lock-up. Fresh at the beginning of ss3, I quickly messed and got radiator and steering damage to contend with for the next two stages. Then on ss4 I lost sight of the way mid-descending hairpin close to the start (tysm, high dashboards on modern cars), fell off the the cliff, and had to do some TT hillclimb to get back. Later came a nasty hit and puncture to limp until the finish line.

Finally, with a very broken car for SS5, but engine mostly back and steering straighter, it finally went like a breeze... until I got stuck over small rocks after exiting wide the second to last hairpin of the stage. Lost time unsuccessfully trying to move, being forced to reset and wasting more than 10s. That hazard took away what could have been a silver lining to the event. Bleh.

A fair warning that Ponte still has performance issues at Sunset. Probably due to sun angle+cast shadows+high DIP, leaving GPU idle. So, by the 8th sector inside and close to the village performance can tank. Down to 42-48fps in my case, causing nasty stutters and frame duplication bellow VRR range, where it'd be >90fps nearly everywhere else if uncapped.
Speaking of those problematic combos, Albarello at Sunset by the 3rd and 2nd to last sector is also troublesome (same course which starts Ponte reversed, where it runs fine), so as the village section ending Maririe when set to Night. Fortunately these two aren't in the current event.

GL all, and watch for those 4 rights at the of SS1!

Last edited:
A fair warning that Ponte still has performance issues at Sunset. Probably due to sun angle+cast shadows+high DIP, leaving GPU idle. So, by the 8th sector inside and close to the village performance can tank. Down to 42-48fps in my case, causing nasty stutters and frame duplication bellow VRR range, where it'd be >90fps nearly everywhere else if uncapped.
Speaking of those problematic combos, Albarello at Sunset by the 3rd and 2nd to last sector is also troublesome (same course which starts Ponte reversed, where it runs fine), so as the village section ending Maririe when set to Night. Fortunately these two aren't in the current event.

I knew that Corsica had issues when it was released - but the times I've driven it since, I've not noticed anything :(

Well, that went terribly as expected:

Hmm. Not awesome days for you in the last RD rallies :/

I will do this relatively early this time I think. I expected to have to a lot of LMU-stuff, so I didn't even put up an rFactor 2 event for this Friday. Turns out it's not possible to host private sessions or have dedicated servers on LMU, so now I have some Friday-hours in hand that I am not used to having! :D

I was my first time on Mediterraneo set to Winter. Any understeer or lock up can already result in crippling damage into rocks (as in my icy SS2, pic bellow) or a cliff, even if Rally4 there in Dry conditions is a relatively easy affair as long focus is kept. For that reason, last stage still went pretty OK despite length and previous dmg (critical body unrepaired, med dmg on diff affecting cornering, etc).
Clipboard_02-22-2024_01.jpg
Still, could have gone with the Opel, which is easier for slow+safe runs if the intention was just a cleaner run. Have a good event!

I wonder if this rally will be just as hard with the Rally4 cars as they were with the Kit Cars
Imho, having it on snow+wet reduced survivability tenfold, even with what would have been an easier class on dry, provided good focus. On dry, maybe up to S1600 is still fairly accessible.

stream above
Sigh, you fell victim to the swamp turn (in the same series as the bale). That note is iffy* -- I only survived knowing it beforehand, after a few past 037 flights mid-corner. When you have the luck to fall unscathed after that pole, there's a safe path to quickly climb back after the next "3 right" without needing to reset, if you keep to the wall:
Clipboard_02-24-2024_01.jpg
Again, having no DNFs listed in clubs according to distance traveled can be discouraging (by denying presence in the final table). More so when many aren't lucky to reach the very end.

*"4 long - caution, and two right 40", but it neither mentions "tightens into 2 right", and the length it takes for the "4 long - caution" to be spoken (already delayed by a previous lengthy note), will cause the "2 right" to come a bit too late (at least with normal timing). Also, the long 4 feels more like a 3 as you understeer, but might be due to being narrow, hence the "caution".
(I usually end that half even earlier at this innocuous "4 right short" on faster classes, or just a bit after you TD'd in one of two "3 right"s with a cliff on the left, one that opens and another that tightens. Both can be insta TD coming in hot)

Last edited:
Imho, having it on snow+wet reduced survivability tenfold, even with what would have been an easier class on dry, provided good focus. On dry, maybe up to S1600 is still fairly accessible.

Yup. Well, spring is arriving soon-ish! :D

Sigh, you fell victim to the swamp turn (in the same series as the bale). That note is iffy* -- I only survived knowing it beforehand, after a few past 037 flights mid-corner. When you have the luck to fall unscathed after that pole, there's a safe path to quickly climb back after the next "3 right" without needing to reset, if you keep to the wall:
View attachment 732566
Again, having no DNFs listed in clubs according to distance traveled can be discouraging (by denying presence in the final table). More so when many aren't lucky to reach the very end.

*"4 long - caution, and two right 40", but it neither mentions "tightens into 2 right", and the length it takes for the "4 long - caution" to be spoken (already delayed by a previous lengthy note), will cause the "2 right" to come a bit too late (at least with normal timing). Also, the long 4 feels more like a 3 as you understeer, but might be due to being narrow, hence the "caution".

After looking at the situation again, I can actually hear and see the "4 and two" thing. When I hear "and" in this game, I automagically think that there will be a bit of gap between the two corners, and it should indeed be a tightens 2. Interesting.
Not like the corner I went off at in our last rally here, where I ignored the "slowing" note.
Also. I did get my two punctures by hitting the post with my bonnet. lol? :D

(I usually end that half even earlier at this innocuous "4 right short" on faster classes, or just a bit after you TD'd in one of two "3 right"s with a cliff on the left, one that opens and another that tightens. Both can be insta TD coming in hot)

You can see how unsure I am about the grip, pace and corners there. Brake,throttle,brake,throttle,shift down,shift up, repeat.

Donno, looking at the map from above, it seems the "long 4" note can trick one into thinking that he's still along it into a blind but fast extension, while one is already entering the sharper 2. There's sort of a gap in between corners for the "and", but imho they're perceived as just one. I think the key is the "40" spoken at the end, warning that the 2 is very close, but it's easily disregarded while being heard immediately on top of the hazard:
Clipboard_02-24-2024_02.jpg
(edit: phrasing)

Last edited:
Donno, looking at the map from above, it seems the "long 4" note can trick one into thinking that he's still along it into a blind but fast extension, while one is already entering the sharper 2. There's sort of a gap in between corners for the "and", but imho they're perceived as just one. I think the key is the "40" spoken at the end, warning that the 2 is very close, but it's easily ignored and heard immediately on top of the hazard.
View attachment 732849

Nah, the 40 is after two right, so that is for the next corner.

My doubt is that the 40 actually shows inside the 2 right icon on the UI.
Clipboard_02-24-2024_01.jpg
(I.e, at that point it's not easy to let it hang in your mind as the distance to the later unheard/unseen "3 right" note)

Edit: Oh, nevermind. In this notation a suffixed number is really the distance to the note that follows later, in this case the 3 right.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea