Rally - Tom's Double Tribute - Monday 27th & Tuesday 28th August 2012

Well a very disappointing end to that rally.

As Roy said there was some good competition between me, himself and Dubravko, made it through the first 6 stages and was pretty happy with my times, thought I was going to set a really good time on Noiker... until I finished the stage and was 42 sec. behind Roy! Was still happy didn't go off through the stage and only the first time I've actually finished the stage! Sweet Lamb is a favourite stage of mine so did well there too.

But... when SS7, the rally sprint stage was loading (another fave) my wheel switched off!! :mad: so was sat on the line for 5 secs. till I could remember how to change gear on the keyboard! Made it round with the keyboard and hadnt lost too much and was pretty impressed as I've never played the game with the keyboard before and I wasn't last!

Then proper disaster on SS8. Ok not a favourite stage but was hoping to finish on a high with no DNF's of CFH for the first time when, while trying to get the wheel back up and running it launched the original RBR!!! :mad: and when I came back out I couldn't run the stage and it said the session was over!!! :mad: Fuming was enjoying and doing pretty well on that one!

Oh well, always next time! More low powered FWD please :D I'm pretty completive with them!

Thanks to all again and good luck to the rest still compete.

Sion

But... when SS7, the rally sprint stage was loading (another fave) my wheel switched off!! :mad: so was sat on the line for 5 secs. till I could remember how to change gear on the keyboard! Made it round with the keyboard and hadnt lost too much and was pretty impressed as I've never played the game with the keyboard before and I wasn't last!

That once happened to me. I lost less than a minute on a 10 km stage.

SS2... Didn't know the stage, ran wide with an average speed of like... 20 km/h and I got reset as I ran too close to the spectators.

Da fuq? Why do the creators always place them where you nearly run into them?:( Cost me 30s for the love of god!

My other favourite hobby was rolling my N12 at especially exciting corners throughout the rally. I managed to roll it at the fast Hualapai Nation at the final corner, missing the guard rail by rolling over it:roflmao:

I rolled early in Shepherd's Shield as the brakes were much more grippy, making me fly off, damage my steering and costing me 15s surely, doh.

Rallysprint was even funnier. As I didn't know some stages, I selected autotyres. It gave me tarmac tyres even though R-Sprint was half gravel(It reminded me of a German stage). I ran the first straight down, only to get sideways, trying to handbrake-turn onto the first tarmac part. But my nose kept turning of the inside, so I made a slow roll-over(even two), reversed out only to hit the grass and lose some more seconds to finally get into gear for the stage:rolleyes:

That's probably where I lost those 12s to Roy as I managed my tarmac tyres quite well on the gravel part and didn't forget to turn left after the house.

Mlynky was okay, a little wobble but I finished it in once piece for a good time(only to roll over after the line, D'OH!:rolleyes:)

Let's see what times Fernando did, could I get onto the podium of the N12 division?

EDIT: Sweet Lamb was mooaarrr, I beat most of the other guys there:D

Let's see what times Fernando did, could I get onto the podium of the N12 division?
Probably :D.

I drove the Red Bull X1 of Gran Turismo 5 last friday and after several laps with it, it broke my G27's left clamp into half! :mad:, damn that car is out of this world :confused:, only for real :alien:... I'm only using the clamping system of the wheel as it's quite secure but I guess the clamps already accumulated some damage from all of my rally drivings and it gave up on the extreme FFB of the Red Bull X1. I just firmly attached the wheel now with the screws at the back with only one clamp on the front.

Well with that problem I haven't got any practice and I'll probably just run in US session, still have some time to do some recce though.

EDIT: Crap! now the right clamp also broke into half! :mad:. I guess I just have to fix this wheel to the desk now with screws.

Jeez, I'm getting nervous about my chance of winning or getting a podium. I keep hearing you guys talk about rolls and crashes. On the other hand, Roy won one of the most populated session with a roll!

You don't win with a doubtful mind though!

I joined Tom in his US Session since it was his rally. :) I see Fernando there too, but don't know if he was just having another practice run.

It was a nice and varied set of stages Tom, made it quite challenging trying to get used to the different surfaces and grip (or lack of grip). I started ok, and kept things sort of tidy.
Had a problem in Noiker when the car stalled (haven't had that for a while), but managed to get it started after a bit.
It all went pear shaped at Shepherds Shield, I managed to just clip the bridge rail and it killed the car stone dead. It was like I hit a solid concrete wall. :confused: :redface:
I then got scrappy on the last two stages but finished them.

Good to run with Tom and Fernando. :)

After winning the 2WD section of the last RDRC round, I felt I should at least go for the podium here. It's hard to do that, though, when I can't see my rival's times. I did see Fernando and Warren battling it out on the server. Here's how it went.

SS1: I want to win, but I can't see my opponents stage times. So I should go flatout! Crash on the first 90 degree corner, break suspension,and then I have two more offs. I am feeling very angry at this point.
SS2: I made two time consuming mistakes but I set a better time than I thought.
SS3: I started to get my confidence back in the middle of the stage, but I doubt the time will stand up. Given how long this stage is, I figured at the end I wouldn't get the win.
SS4: Much better. Acceptable time.
SS5: I did not design this rally so I would win. I did not. Otherwise this stage wouldn't be in the rally. I tried anyway, hit a bump at the end, and lost time.
SS6: Okay. At least I didn't crash.
SS7: In retrospect, I should've have included this stage because I should've added another British Isle tarmacesqu stage but mostly because I know people will get time penalties because of the super secret exit. So I pushed hard because I though I could get a stage win and I got a new personal best. Best yet, I was within 2 seconds of Warren's first two splits! I guess the tyre surface combo is a real power equalizer.
SS8: Tried to do a good time, but after the first of three off, I wanted this rally to end. I hate saying that.

I don't know why I couldn't get into the zone. I'm having a hard time enjoying racing.
Thanks to Warren for setting up the event, Damien for his great banner, and Christopher Drennan for giving me your prize of making the rally! Good luck all in the results. And most importantly, RIP Gareth Roberts and Matthew Marker.

EDIT: Crap! now the right clamp also broke into half! :mad:. I guess I just have to fix this wheel to the desk now with screws.

It's probably best in the long run Fernando, I had to bolt my Wheel to the desk to get it stable enough, and even though I hated drilling holes in my nice desk, I'm now glad I did.
The only annoyance is that it becomes a pain to remove it if needed.

Nothing better than a good solid wheel mounting, especially for Rallying. :thumbsup:

Overall Rally Results

AWQHM.jpg

kv2RU.png

gKvBi.jpg

qaFNw.png

Congrats Roy, Dubravko, Tom, David, puff pant, Warren, Viesturs.
Phew, need to catch my breath there.

Stage wins:
Dubravko Sparovec: 5 stage wins
Warren Dawes: 5 stage wins
Roy Magnes: 1 stage win
Timo Hakkarainen: 1 stage win
Jani Nylander: 1 stage win
Viesturs Priede: 1 stage win
Chelton Nunes: 1 stage win
Fernando Agapito: 1 stage win

Thanks to everyone who joined, thanks to Warren for setting it up, and thanks to Fernando for the podium presentation.

Please let me know if you notice any mistakes.

Don't be so surprised guys. The best drivers with R2 class on tarmac can compete with S2000 cars. Look at the times on SS6. You would have hard time finishing the stage in Subaru while Fiesta was stable and very quick.

lol, when I saw my name on the podium I actually thought that there were only 3 guys driving N12 this time. I had such a bad rally, didnt finish last 4 stages.. But I love all 4 of them.. on the other hand - I hate Noiker and Hualapai Nation. Funny stuff :)

Typical! Would have been 2nd (IF I would have also had a decent run similar times to the rest!) if I hadn't pressed whatever I pressed so it skipped SS8! Do'h! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all and well done the winners! Next time I tell's ya! ;)

Sion

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies