Rain

I am aware that rFactor doesn't have rain, but I have a theory that might work and I'd like to ask the pros if they think it's worth pursuing. Although,,, it might be too late seeing as rF2 is just around the corner.

Krunch's skybox follows you around the track and is not static, so we could add to the skybox and put a cylinder in the centre close to the car with a few layers of animated rain texture. This way where ever the camera is it will see the rain.
I don't know how it would work on the winshield yet, I have to think about that one, cause cameras are in all different spots and cars are different shapes.

Here is an example.

rfrain.gif

I believe that it's all there and that it has been there ever since rFactor was released, it has just not been enabled. Simbin games use the same engine, the only difference is they have functions like rain enabled.
There is a raindrop tga in the commonmaps mas, there is everything needed in rFactor to make a dynamic wet track with rain, it's just not turned on.

I mentioned in my first posts that this is probably not worth pursuing because rf2 is around the corner, but its a fun thing to do when I'm free and aren't doing anything else.
It is more so a theory I had that I wanted to test, nothing more.
As Emery points out, there are a lot of functions that take the realism away from it and making things like rain on the windscreen and wipers work is not possible in this case.

I think there is the possibility that someone could write a dll to take advantage of the rain but coding is not my thing.

Back when i was working on a small update for Symmons Plains i twiddled with some of the gbd from Orchard Lake (an original ISI track no less) and found these entries. They don't change anything, which is why they're not in other tracks files i guess, but, at one stage i remember i changed either "Conditions" or "TrackWetness" to wet, or rain or overcast or something and quite to my surprise the next time i loaded the track the lighting was lower and the sky was grey! Bad news is i forgot what i changed and how and have only been able to do it that one time. FWIW there was no reflective road surface or rainspray/raindrops. Since the rF menu still has sunny/overcast options there might be some worth in probing "overcast" or "cloudy" as entries, but i'm not going to waste anymore time trying :tongue: Just looking at it again now, perhaps Conditions=Bad might be worth a shot?

Have a good one!

Code:
    Qualify
    {
      Conditions = Best
      TrackWetness = Dry
      AmbientTemp = 29
      TrackTemp = 34
    }
    Warmup
    {
      Conditions = Best
      TrackWetness = Dry
      AmbientTemp = 24
      TrackTemp = 29
    }
    Race
    {
      Conditions = Nice
      TrackWetness = Dry
      AmbientTemp = 28
      TrackTemp = 32
    }

what about water drops hitting the windscreen?

combination of fog, water spray off the tyres. and a wet winndscreen would be pretty convincing in the absence of actual 'falling' rain?

when its 'really' raining, unless you look, you dont see individual raindrops forming a curtain (unless its a monsoon!) rather the rain cuases a loss of field of view, like a fog, and youre windows get wet :)

thoughts?

cheers
ed

First part water is moving, second part not. Do I see parts of M$ flightsim ?
Check also his other 2 vids. No driving no movement ;)

I think this is a good vid artist, basicly nothing to do with RF. Proof me I'm wrong plz.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.