1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Racing with one hand

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rhys Gardiner, Jan 26, 2010.

1. I felt this fit the best in Off-topic, so forgive me if it's in the wrong section... :)

Many of you already know that I only use my left hand when racing. Due to nerve damage at birth, I lost the full use of my right hand, and so have become a dedicated lefty. It has had its difficulties, like shooting with a camera and eating with both a knife and fork, but I can drive and race cleanly. And since I recieved my G25, I've found that I'm pretty nifty with an H-shifter, to my shock and surprise.

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I thought it'd be handy if I made a video showing just how I sim-race with one hand... so here it is. The GP79 mod for rFactor, around Kyalami in 1:10.29. I beat Jean-Pierre Jabouille's 1979 pole time with an H-shifter and one usable hand, and I could have gone faster. :D
    You can't see the screen all that well, and the audio sucks, but I hope you enjoy it all the same...

2. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Nice going Rhys, well done mate. It's always great to see people make the most of what they have, and amazing how people can adapt to disabilities.

3. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Awesome Rhys! I didnt know you were racing with one hand! Pretty skilled driving with the H-pattern!

Btw: Happy birthday!!!

4. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

Omg! That's wonderful Rhys, I can't even race with my two hands lol. You are great.
    Happy b-day mate. ;)

5. Now I know why you are so bad at forum racing! You're doing it with one hand! Joke, really well done mate, brilliant to see some ingenuity in the face of disability :D

6. Nice one Rhys! i had a quick go myself today, it didnt go to well :( but that's good to watch because at some points you dont have any hands on the wheel going into a corner! Nice and Skilled stuff Rhys, well done!

7. Carlos Diaz

Carlos Diaz
    Happily driving a "girly" car

WoW, awesome!

8. I have one comment on this...

Respect

that is all..