Racing Games Through the Years

no Sega Rally in this list!? :O

It was revolutionary, the cars actually got sideways and you needed to control the position of the car throughout the whole corner, very very trendsetting game.

This----> :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:
IMG_0137.JPG

Steelbook. REAL Discs...a MANUAL. Oh , those were the times.....;)

I know this is not supposed to be complete list, but I was sad not seeing Grand Prix Circuit from Accolade there. For me, this game was one of the most important racing games of the era.

Either way, thanks for bringing back great memories!

Well there was once a playroom, where the first games of motor racing, you played. Obviously, technology and changed a lot, a good help they gave the use of simulators in Formula 1. Now, with virtual reality, hence by little, in my opinion, the difference, the reality will be more and more imperceptible .

Don't think any one has mentioned this timeless classic. I modded mine so that I had F1 75-2007.

This one too:
922089crammond.jpg

For "graphic" reason or not F1GP Series by Geoff Crammond deserves to be on first page. Or for what ever other reason. :)

1996 IndyCar Racing II - Papyrus
That's how my CART love begins. And the bug that bite me never did leave.
1998 Grand Prix Legends - Papyrus
Oh those were the days. I actually uninstalled this legend, but after realize that, decades after, nothing comes even close to it... I reinstall it again. :)
Both, significantly, Papyrus.

+ A couple more, from the top of my head...
CART Precision racing by Microsoft (perhaps more personal choice but also quite a milestone for it's time);
Richard Burns Rally !?!
GT Legends !!
Live for Speed;
Race 07 aka Race On;
rFactor 1 AND 2 ?!?, of course, and
DiRT rally, maybe even WRC series...

edit:
F1 challenge 99-02 isn't mentioned but since
2000 F1 2000 - EA Sports is... I count it as "series mentioned" category. :)

Yeah, TOCA 2 also kills a quite of my life, too.
Plus Sports Car GT hell yeah.

Last edited:
My first racing game:
:)
One of the first 3D racing games on any format & it came before REV's on the BBC Model B . there was also a in-car Rally game on on the Spectrum 48k . these game's may have been simple compared to what we have now but everything that came out was a revelations back then.

I have to add this long forgotten rally game & I am not sure if it was the first of its kind,
Way back in 1985.
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-inlays/r/RallyDriver_2.jpg

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-maps/r/RallyDriver_2.jpg

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/screens/in-game/r/RallyDriver.gif

I had this game though I do not remember much about it . but after looking at the above links
It had a open world map based over three stage's .

In-car view & a 3D world in the wonderful limited Spectrum colors. A long time before Code masters came out with a rally game.

First racing game I remember playing was Accolade's Grand Prix, as mentioned before.
First game I bought from my own money though, was the first part of Need For Speed from 1994, I still have the original box.

Cruising never felt so good :)

And then another gem not mentioned was Rally Trophy, with the funniest co-driver and some really nice physics for that time:

Bump. Went through my catalogue of games that still run with Win10+G27 and are available online from steam/origin/ms-store. Couple games I forgot like Live For Speed....

I wonder if I missed any important ones that fit into same category.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%