Race On first impressions

Since no one else has posted one, I'll give it a shot.

Installation and Backup

The Race On DVD is a 2 disk set.

Even though all my other Race content was purchased directly from Steam, the install went just fine. I had Steam running and chose Online Install.

You get option to install Race 07, STCC, and Race On. I unchecked Race 07 and STCC (since I already have them) and installed Race On.

The install saw that I had Steam running and once I entered the CD key, it told me I had successfully integrated it with my Steam account.

*Tip*

Even though you've installed from DVD, once it's integrated with your Steam account, you can then use the Steam backup feature to backup ALL your content including Race On. You won't need the DVD again to re-install.

Track Updates

All the tracks for the 2008 season have been updated and have their own menu section. You now have 2006, 2007, and 2008 WTCC tracks.

Most of the "updates" seem to be graphical instead of actual track layout changes, except Imola. But the "new" tracks do look wonderful. Much nicer than the 2007 and 2006 versions.

New Tracks

Road America, Laguna Seca, Okayama. What can I say? They rock! :)

New Cars

US Muscle Race Cars.
They are great fun. They handle just like you would expect them to: big, massive, Yank tanks that slide all over the place. Lots of power with suspect handling ;)

Some of you might say they "drift" too much. I don't believe "drift" would be the right word. I would call it "super aswesome cowabunga power slides" :D

US Muscle Production Cars.
Same as above but street versions.

Formula Master.
Simply great! Sure they're not as fast as F3000, but they are really great fun to drive. Close races like touring cars (and about the same speed) but in open wheel goodness :)

WTCC 2008.
Seat TDI and Lada.....You know the rest.

Really great addition to the Race series. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 9 :shock:

If you have any questions, feel free to post them :)

Only gripe so far: That horrible screaming commentary in the Menu audio. Launching the game from GTRE/STCC/Race 07 icons helps initially, but in the replay loading menu, it keeps returning. In the end, I had to give in and turn the volume down so I couldn't hear it. I wish we had a choice to select one of the older menu audios.

Overall, absolutely worth the small extra $'s to me. I'm quite happy that I got value for money.

don't complain about mr coronel :)

Warren buddy, you can get rid of it by putting some old school rock music (like ac/dc, zz top :))....since I have the game I still have to hear the original music of it lol...it has been only cycling true my music folder

Slightly offtopic, but i am interested in what would happen to people who have installed the offline version and then there's a patch update, is there anyway for them to get the patch?
Because a lot of people do install the offline version as they don't like racing online

Slightly offtopic, but i am interested in what would happen to people who have installed the offline version and then there's a patch update, is there anyway for them to get the patch?
Because a lot of people do install the offline version as they don't like racing online

I never installed the offline version myself, but there are patched published from time to time, which you have to download yourself.

There was once a discussion here on RD asking when a new patch would be released after we got already a couple of online patches.

I want some music just not that music lol

can i select the music from race or gtr via a command line in an option file?

There is a "music" folder in My Documents\SimBin\Race 07 Install 2\UserData\.....

Put any .mp3 files in there ya want. Crank it up! Just wished I could extract "some" of the music from game to add too. I like a couple tunes. Any suggestions?

There is a "music" folder in My Documents\SimBin\Race 07 Install 2\UserData\.....

Put any .mp3 files in there ya want. Crank it up! Just wished I could extract "some" of the music from game to add too. I like a couple tunes. Any suggestions?
That didn;t work with adding some shortcuts to music files.

Now some real mp3's///

And that works.

Fine some Audioslave and Soundgarden in the Race On menu..

to Mike:
was there no boxed version of the expansion pack as you already have the others ?? seems a waist of money if there was ?? or is that just how it is ??
seems a lot of people bought the expansion pack thinking it had STCC on as well...wierd that

to Mike:
was there no boxed version of the expansion pack as you already have the others ?? seems a waist of money if there was ?? or is that just how it is ??
seems a lot of people bought the expansion pack thinking it had STCC on as well...wierd that

SimBin's publishers (Atari, BitComposer, Viva Media) do not make boxed versions of the "expansion only" packages.

I did not want to wait for Steam so I bought the full bundle. It was worth it to me even though already had STCC. Besides, SimBin's games in the US are always half the price of regular games. I'm happy to support them for great products even if it means buying some content twice :)

Honestly, I can't figure out why anyone would think they would include STCC in the "expansion only"????

It was perfectly clear to me since the day it was announced that STCC would be part of the full bundle, not the expansion. And the Steam purchase page seems perfectly clear to me as well.

Don't understand the confusion at all.

Only gripe so far:
That horrible screaming commentary in the Menu audio.

Launching the game from GTRE/STCC/Race 07 icons helps initially, but in the replay loading menu, it keeps returning. In the end, I had to give in and turn the volume down so I couldn't hear it. I wish we had a choice to select one of the older menu audios.

Please - please - please - tell me how to:
- STOP THAT AWFUL SCREAMING GUY @ THE MENU!

:bulgy-eyes:

THANKS!!!

Great news!

I read back a few pages & have much better menu sounds now!

I am currently listening to "The Dead Weather"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scJ8ITsZsl4&feature=PlayList&p=0D876F13C66BEC08&index=0&playnext=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scJ8ITsZsl4&feature=PlayList&p=0D876F13C66BEC08&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

Fine some Audioslave and Soundgarden in the Race On menu..

Have to agree with the above 2 bands :plus1:

I bought Race On and STCC the game for about £20, so thats 12 new tracks, and about 9 new cars. The Formula masters are without a doubt, the highlight of the game, they are simply incredible. the new imola is worth the £20 alone! , an awesome track. so overall, i am very happy with the expansion... and who knows whats next from simbin? :D

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.