1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race #3, China: Post-Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula SimRacing' started by Kris Cobb, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Kris Cobb

Kris Cobb
    Avid Chronic Racing | Team Principal

Feel free to discuss the race in this thread, as long as it is within the forum rules.
  2. started 13th was carefull
    Then got somehow collected into the hairpin or whatever
    Not happy
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

Shout out to Muhammed Patel who drove a great race. Sorry to see you miss out on the win so cruelly.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I will review my Q1 lap tonight, I don't recall cutting, could have been tho, not sure.
  6. Kris Cobb

Kris Cobb

The outlap on the final corner.
  7. did i get an advantage? now we penalise mistakes on the outlap? are we gone nuts?
  8. if it's on the final corner on the outlap then it does affect your lap so..
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. If you don't, people will just carry speed through that corner and have extra km/h on the start of the hotlap, so it sounds correct to be honest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. This extra km/h sould be proven and in that case sould be penalized. Without this extra km/h on outlap there is no advantage so no penalty.
    • Haha Haha x 1
  11. Technically speaking you should only be able to penalize the official Q lap. i.e. from the time you pass s/f to start the lap, to the time you pass s/f to finish the lap.

The rulebook doesn't explicitly state that mistakes on the outlap will be penalized. Nor does it explicitly state that the Race Director may apply penalties at his/her own discretion with regards to Q laps.

You could possibly use those 2 points to try and justify your argument against the penalty.

To be fair to the RD though, if it's clear that an advantage was gained by deliberate actions, then a penalty isn't out of order.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Then in tracks like Valencia you can go wide last corner and win like 50 meter extra.

Last year I also applied penalties like this in Pro, makes sense as you can win time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Indeed, you could. :)

I agree that it makes sense for penalties like this to be applied. However, I was bringing 2 small loopholes in the rules to light.
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. In Q1 it's not just about gaining momentum from wider last corner, it's also about gaining session time. In Bahrain first corner can be completely cut (turning in 300m before apex where the road is on the right) , gaining 10 seconds, and also some other corners you can use the trackside tarmac to gain even more time to be able to do one extra lap.

Btw, it just occured to me, what happens, if I cut Bahrain T1 this way in the race? I can do it in up to 10% of laps, right?
  15. Intentional cuts can end on disqualifications and race bans.
  16. Ask @Lionel Klue from Hockenheim 2014. ;)
  17. Was harsh, right or not, but the penalty can be applied.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. No, since that would be blatant cheating and would more than likely lead to a permanent ban. :) There's a white line rule for a reason.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kris Cobb

Kris Cobb

If this was done during the timed lap there would be no issue.
    Intentional/major cuts are a race ban. Doing it multiple times may be looked at as cheating which could result in a season or lifetime ban.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. We are talking about cutting on last corner without gain time, it's normal that if someone with cutting gain 5-10 km/h should be penalized, but as I think david lost some pace on outlap, as I did why should we penalized? we penalized ourself with our mistake. I want to point out that I'm talking about outlap on Q not during the race.