questions about RFM/Car File Editing and/or help and other basic stuff

Hello.

Last year in October one of my friends got me rfactor 1 to help me get into sim racing. Before this I had Nascar Racing 2003 (NR2003) in August of that year so I am relatively new to Sim racing even though I have been watching videos of people doing it years before that and I wasnt able to experience it the same way because my laptop is multiple years old and very underpowered.

Im only asking for help related to the rFm file for racing against AI offline. I understand most stuff like vehicle filters, Safetycar, practice settings, race settings, etc. But I am wondering what the other stuff like in rules like SafetyCarMultiplier, PitGroup, the more complex values. Also plugins like the KERS/DRS plugins ive seen online and where a good place to get them is.

If you're looking for high-quality mods and plugins for Rfactor 1, Rfactor Central is the place to go. However, some web browsers may have difficulty with the sign-up and login process due to the outdated nature of the website. While Edge seems to work fine, Chrome may cause issues.

For the ultimate Rfactor 1 experience, it's recommended to download a few of the best mods and take advantage of their expertise. While it may be tempting to tinker and experiment on your own, nothing compares to the quality of a well-crafted mod.

One of the most highly-regarded mods is DRM REVIVAL 3.1 CMH rF1 FINAL. Additionally, be sure to check out Enduracers, F1 Legends Racing, and V8 Factor Unleashed for even more exciting possibilities.

If you're looking for high-quality mods and plugins for Rfactor 1, Rfactor Central is the place to go. However, some web browsers may have difficulty with the sign-up and login process due to the outdated nature of the website. While Edge seems to work fine, Chrome may cause issues.

For the ultimate Rfactor 1 experience, it's recommended to download a few of the best mods and take advantage of their expertise. While it may be tempting to tinker and experiment on your own, nothing compares to the quality of a well-crafted mod.

One of the most highly-regarded mods is DRM REVIVAL 3.1 CMH rF1 FINAL. Additionally, be sure to check out Enduracers, F1 Legends Racing, and V8 Factor Unleashed for even more exciting possibilities.

I mainly made the post about rFm file modding and what each value effects the mod. Also my computer is about 12ish years old now and im trying to go for performance over quality when doing AI races.

Upon opening and reading, the instructions seem self-explanatory. The Vehicle filter pertains to the cars that one wishes to compete with and corresponds to a line in the Veh file. The Scene order, on the other hand, refers to the tracks that are necessary and must match the track name in the GDB file.
The are a bunch of commands for the race rules which I think you should be able to work out

{
RacePitKPH = 80 (Speed at which you get fined for speeding in pit)
NormalPitKPH = 60 (Speed the AI go I think in the pit)
FormationSpeedKPH = 95 (Speed of safety during full yellow or speed at rolling start)
Practice1Day = Friday
Practice1Start = 11:00 (start time as in 11am)
Practice1Duration = 60 (how long in minutes)
Practice2Day = Friday
Practice2Start = 14:00
Practice2Duration = 60
Practice3Day = Saturday
Practice3Start = 11:00
Practice3Duration = 60
Practice4Day = Saturday
Practice4Start = 13:15
Practice4Duration = 15
QualifyDay = Saturday
QualifyStart = 14:00
QualifyDuration = 60
QualifyLaps = 12
WarmupDay = Sunday
WarmupStart = 9:00
WarmupDuration = 30
RaceDay = Sunday
RaceStart = 14:00 (race start time, important do you want night race or day race, overridden by RCD file)
RaceLaps = 50 ( number of laps, sometimes gets mucked up cause of RCD and ingame setting)
RaceTime = 120
}

Here are some additional rules and explanations that can be added. They can become quite complex, so it may be helpful to take notes.

// RULES
// Pit speed limits in kilometers per hour for race and normal (all other sessions); default=80.0 kph (= 49.7 mph).
RacePitKPH = 80
NormalPitKPH = 80
FormationSpeedKPH = 80

// Safety car threshold multipliers, in other words an adjustment for the sensitivity of the game to calling
// full-course cautions. These can be different for road vs. oval courses. Lower numbers result in more
// full-course cautions; default=1.0, possible values are 0.01 (very sensitive) and up. Values more than
// 5.0 will probably result in no full-course cautions being called by the game (note that there are now
// multiplayer admin commands to call cautions).
SafetyCarRoadMult=0.60
SafetyCarOvalMult=0.20

// Whether full-course cautions may be called for a spin more than 90 degrees where the driver keeps going.
// These can be different for road vs. oval courses. Higher values will result in more full-course cautions
// due to these temporary spins; default=0.0, possible values are 0.0-2.0.
SpinRoadSeverity=0.15
SpinOvalSeverity=0.30

// Just a general tolerance for very momentary speeding (this value has no particular units); default=4.0,
// possible values are 0.0 (not recommended) and up.
PitSpeedingAllowance = 4.0

// Whether leading car one lap down can re-gain his lap during a full-course caution. This value can not
// only be overridden per-season or per-track, but also in the player file; default=0,
// possible values are 0=off, 1=used at ovals only, 2=used at road courses only, 3=used everywhere.
LuckyDog = 3

// How many laps must be left for lucky dog to take effect; default = 10, possible values are 0 (meaning it
// is always applicable) and up.
LuckyDogLapsLeft = 10

// Minimum laps during a full-course yellow; default = 2, possible values are 1 (?) and up ... remember that it
// might be useful to override this one in some track GDBs.
MinimumYellowLaps = 3

// Additional random yellow laps; default = 1, possible values are 0 and up.
RandomYellowLaps = 1

// Whether pits are closed during the first part of the full-course yellow; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.
ClosePits = 1

// How many laps the pits remain closed during the first part of the full-course yellow; default=1, possible
// values are 1 and up (probably needs to be less than MinimumYellowLaps, though) ... again, it might be useful
// to override this one in some track GDBs.
PitsClosedLaps = 1

// This is the threshold for the number of yellow flag laps to determine whether the lead-lappers get to
// pit before everyone else. Only valid if ClosePits is enabled; default=2, possible values are 0 (never
// let leaders pit first) and up.
LeadYellowLaps = 3

// Penalty given for getting served on a closed pitlane (meaning that the vehicle entered AFTER the pit was
// closed); default=2, possible values are 0=stop/go 1=drivethru 2=longest line.
ClosedPitPenalty = 2

// Whether local yellows are shown, which can be different for road vs. oval courses; default=1, possible values 0 or 1.
LocalYellowsRoad = 1
LocalYellowsOval = 0

// Private qualifying, which means that everyone is qualifying simultaneously but alone on track. You can
// actually still view other cars, but you can only see one participant at a time. This value can be overridden
// with a player file entry; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.
PrivateQualifying = 1

// Whether penalties add to each other, essentially meaning they can all be served at once; default=0, possible
// values 0 or 1.
AdditivePenalties = 1

// Number of laps to serve the penalty before being disqualified; default=3, possible values 1 and up.
LapsToServePenalty = 4

// Whether passing is allowed on starts and restarts before the start/finish line; default=0, possible values
// are 1=passing on right is legal, 2=passing on left is legal, and 3=passing anywhere is legal.
PassingBeforeLineOval=1
PassingBeforeLineRoad=0

// Whether order of vehicles is frozen when the full-course yellow is first shown. If necessary, server will
// correct the order as people cross the start/finish line; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.
FreezeOrder = 1

// Behavior if full-course yellow is active at the end of a race; default=0, possible values are
// 0=race finishes normally, 1=finish will be delayed one time only and will allow one lap after the green flag,
// 2=finish will be delayed one time only and will allow two laps after the green flag, 3=finish can be delayed
// multiple times, with only one lap allowed after the green flag (not sure this option works as expected),
// 4=finish can be delayed multiple times, with two laps needed after the green flag. Note that a full-course
// yellow called on the very last lap will NOT currently delay the finish. Also note that this feature does
// not work for timed races.
FinishUnderCaution = 2

// Whether caution laps are counted towards the total number of laps; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.
CountCautionLaps = 1

// Whether restarts are double-file and how many laps left are required to do so; default=0, possible values
// are 0=off, 1+=laps left required to convert to double file.
DoubleFileRestarts=10

// Control over what changes can be made between qualifying and race. This value can be overridden through
// the player file; default=0, possible values are 0=no restrictions, 1=restrictions apply, 2=restrictions
// apply as long as it doesn't rain in qualifying or afterwards (and no that doesn't mean rain is implemented
// yet, sorry).
ParcFerme = 0

// Whether fuel level remains the same (only if parc ferme is applicable). In general, this value specifies
// what fraction of the qualifying session is reached before fuel usage becomes "free"; default=0.0, possible
// values are 0.0-1.0, where 0.0 indicates fuel level is always free, 0.5 would mean fuel level at the halfway
// point of qualifying will be used to start the race, and 1.0 means fuel level at the end of qualifying will
// be used to start the race (and no refueling allowed during qualifying).
ParcFermeFuel = 0.0

// How many of the top qualifiers have to keep their used tires on for the race (only if parc ferme is applicable);
// default=0, possible values are 0 and up (300 recommended if everybody has to keep their used tires).
ParcFermeTires = 0

// Whether setup used during qualifying must be used during the race (only if parc ferme is applicable), except
// for the RFM/season/GDB or PLR file "FreeSettings"; default=1, possible values 0 or 1.
ParcFermeSetup = 0

// Settings that are free to be changed regardless of fixed or parc ferme setup. This can be overridden by the
// player file. You must add the values of each setting that drivers are free to change:
// 1 = steering lock
// 2 = brake pressure
// 4 = starting fuel
// 8 = fuel strategy
// 16 = tire compound
// 32 = brake bias
// 64 = front wing
// 128 = engine settings (rev limit, boost, and engine braking)
// For example, the default free settings are: steering lock (1) + brake pressure (2) + fuel strategy (8) = 11.
// Possible values are -1 (use default value) up to 255 (which equals 1+2+4+8+16+32+64+128).
FreeSettings = -1

// How blue flags are used. This value can be overridden through the player file; default=3, possible values
// are: 0=no blue flags, 1=show but never penalize for not moving over, 2=show and penalize if necessary for
// vehicles withing 0.3 seconds, 3=0.5 seconds, 4=0.7 seconds, 5=0.9 seconds, 6=1.1 seconds.
BlueFlags = 1

// Method to end timed races. Previous releases of rFactor (versions 1.070 and before) gave the checkered flag to
// any vehicle that crossed the start/finish line after time ran out. The new default behavior is to wait until
// the leader crosses the start/finish line before waving the checkered flag. However, in the case that the
// leader has crashed out but is multiple laps ahead of the second-place vehicle, there needs to be a fail-safe
// case. This value defines how many laps non-leaders can complete after time runs out before being given the
// checkered flag; default=2 (which means that, in most normal circumstances, the checkered flag will be given
// when the leader crosses the s/f line), possible values are 1 (which would be the original rFactor behavior) or
// any positive integer.
TimedRaceNonLeaderLaps = 2
}

// Money and experience accumulation (mostly multipliers for hard-coded values
// which have various factors taken into account like number of competitors)
StartingMoney = 500 // you might need a little spendin' cash
StartingExperience = 0 // start with no experience
StartingVehicle = NSC06_01 // randomly chooses one free vehicle from this list
DriveAnyUnlocked = 0 // 0 = must own to drive, 1 = must be unlocked to drive, 2 = drive anything
BaseCreditMult = 1.0 // base which is multiplied by all the other multipliers
LapMoneyMult = 1.0 // laps completed (based roughly on expected lap times)
LapExpMult = 1.0
FineMoneyMult = 1.0 // fines
FineExpMult = 0.0
PoleSingleMoneyMult = 1.0 // pole positions in single player
PoleSingleExpMult = 1.0
PoleCareerMoneyMult = 1.0 // pole positions in career mode
PoleCareerExpMult = 1.0
PoleMultiMoneyMult = 1.0 // pole positions in multiplayer
PoleMultiExpMult = 1.0
WinSingleMoneyMult = 1.0 // wins in single player
WinSingleExpMult = 1.0
WinCareerMoneyMult = 1.0 // wins in career mode
WinCareerExpMult = 1.0
WinMultiMoneyMult = 1.0 // wins in multiplayer
WinMultiExpMult = 1.0
PointsSingleMoneyMult = 1.0 // points in single player
PointsSingleExpMult = 1.0
PointsCareerMoneyMult = 1.0 // points in career mode
PointsCareerExpMult = 1.0
PointsMultiMoneyMult = 1.0 // points in multiplayer
PointsMultiExpMult = 1.0

// Alternate commentary directory if desired (filename comes from config.ini)
//CommentarySeries = GameData\Commentary\NSCRS_Spotter

I apologize for the overwhelming information. Sometimes, a question requires an in-depth explanation, which can be challenging to address briefly. However, I try to provide answers that can guide you toward additional resources and an enjoyable learning experience.

To organize my championship, I typically duplicate an RFM file that I know works well and modify the car class and tracks as needed. This approach saves time compared to editing everything from scratch. If you encounter any issues during testing, feel free to inquire about the specific problem, and we can offer targeted advice to assist you.

I apologize for the overwhelming information. Sometimes, a question requires an in-depth explanation, which can be challenging to address briefly. However, I try to provide answers that can guide you toward additional resources and an enjoyable learning experience.

To organize my championship, I typically duplicate an RFM file that I know works well and modify the car class and tracks as needed. This approach saves time compared to editing everything from scratch. If you encounter any issues during testing, feel free to inquire about the specific problem, and we can offer targeted advice to assist you.
Thanks for clarifying everything for me. Most of the stuff like the SC Values and ParcFerme I sort've knew but other stuff like finish under caution with the values I didnt understand.

Another question I have is for timed races is how do I make it add an extra lap when the time runs out. Like if I do a 45 minute race it becomes 45 minutes plus one lap? Do I put TimedRaceNonLeaderLaps to 1 or 2 or 0?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back