query about the files created when setting up a server

Hi,
Have managed to set up a server,
port forwarded my router, and created the mod using the MAS utility, (cars and tracks),
initialized the dedicated server and can play against AI online alone.

server is on the same pc as when I race.

when a friend tries to join, he gets "Package not available" statement.

when he receives the message that "Package not available", does that mean he does not have the actual cars- and tracks in his package folder ?

helped him set it up RF2, and know he does have the same mods/ tracks as I have, except the .rfcmp files are in the workshop folder.

so for the package to be available to him, do they need to be in the package folder, or does the ".rfmod" file I made for the dedicated server need to be in his package folder, e.g. "gt3-spa.rfmod"

I am able to actually copy files of the package that was created e.g. (gt3-spa.rfmod) from my PC and paste it into his PC rfactor2 package folder.
he lives close by, downloading the packages every time a new event is created would kill the fun.
prefer to just create many events, then just copy and then paste it into his system.

if this is possible, could there be an issue with paid DLC, (he has the same DLC as me).
if I created a .rfmod file using my DLC and then pasted the mod e.g. gt3-spa.rfmod, will there be an issue, or is the DLC content registered through another means so the DLC being used is still legit ?

P.S. has been at this 4 days now.
cheers.

A little ashamed that this hasn't been answer already by someone who knows about this stuff.
As for me, I've never set up a server for rF2, only rF1.

But from what I do understand the Package your referring to could be the rfmod. This is downloaded to the package folder and automatically install from the server. This basically is the server ID as to what is running as you've created it. Could be as simple as a check box you haven't ticked. Or have when you shouldn't have ???:O_o:

Not being 100% on it, a good start would be to check that the server is set to share this rfmod file to someone trying to join.
Just from what you've said and my very limited knowledge on setting up a server that's what is seems like.

prefer to just create many events, then just copy and then paste it into his system.
Putting a rfmod into a Package folder is fine but do remember because you've do it manually you will also need to install it. A server downloaded rfmod will do this automatically when a manual placed mod will not!
Once it's placed in the folder start the launcher, scroll to usually the very bottom off the list. If you still don't see it, refresh the page. When you see it, install button bottom left, just like a rfcmp mod manually installed.

The location off the mods (rfcmp) on a PC has nothing to do with it. Many people have all sorts off weird and wonderful ideas about the way the file structure is setup and it still works.

Thanks Doug62,
True, I have literally no experience in setting up a server.

just returned from friends place.
left my server running with a long practice session, and joined the game on my PC.
copied my package .rfmod, pasted it his packages file.
had installed it, through the content manager, (box icon).
the rfmod file was in the content manager window, at the bottom.
just lost my memory, cant remember if it installed.

but when trying to join my server from his PC, it started to validate the package, but failed.
so it got a step further into joining.

now set up his PC as a server, made an .rfmod containing only spa and the Porsche gt3 and GTE.
left his server running, friend was driving on track, with a long practice session.

went home and setup the exact same .rfmod.
was installed when looking at the content manager, and was also in the package folder.
same file name as well.

joined his server, but still getting "Package not available", then downloading.
download speed was too slow, as he has a slower connection speed, but upload speed is much slower.
would take too long to download.

when making the mod, using the rfactor launcher MAS utility, all cars and trak was ticked, and no error.

is there other things that need to be checked before creating the mod ?

forgot to add!!

did not test if copying and pasting a simple 1 track and car ( non purchased DLC) into his package folder.
is it possible it did not validate due to using the porsche DLC ?
As long as you both own (bought) it. If you've just copy and pasd it to his or your PC it wouldn't work.
Should work other wise.

"Package not available" Could be a track with different version. One updated when the other is not.
Only guessing here.

Maybe the "all tracks and cars" are the issue. Usually each rfmod only has 1 car or series mod and maybe 3 or 4 tracks. Using all cars and track would mean both PC's would have to have identical content.

A rfmod is only text. it doesn't carry any weight so it will download in a blink. If on the other hand the server is trying to sync content between server and join PC could be a big download. Having a slow connection could cause a time out so it fails.
Again, only guessing.

wow, finally found out what I did wrong.
such a simple mistake, but from reading other posts, i assumed all boxes were meant to be ticked when creating the mod.

created the rfmod without ticking any of the boxes for cars or tracks, and it worked.

when ticking the boxes in the MAS utility it creates files that also need the cars tracks redownloaded even if anyone joining has those mods.
when not ticking the boxes they only need to download the script, or whatever its called, a very small file e.g 5kb.

it works, ran a race. such a simple mistake, but was so difficult to find online

Thanks for your help Doug62

Hey ricciardo, did you do anything else? I have followed all the guides, forwarded all the ports and rebuilt my mod files according to this post, and yet I'm still greeted by the dreaded "An error has occurred, Failed to download/install packages. Please try returning to the main menu, or restarting the game."

I have the dedicated server running on a separate pc, but through the same router. I found a different post and this issue was resolved by changing ports in the multiplayer.json and then forwarding them on my router, which I did, any help would be very much appreciated and I hope everyone is excited for the Daytona 24!

-Ben

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea