1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Immersion FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'Stock Car Extreme' started by BoogerMac, Aug 30, 2015.

1. BoogerMac

Premium Member

Anyone try this tool yet? From first glance, it seems like a pretty valuable tool. I haven't used it because I don't have a wheel yet. Once I get my wheel, I'm going to give a shot and see how well it works out. There is a good assortment of games to choose from, including GCSE.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Yes, it is pretty good.

When you set the FOV to the value it calculates, you can really feel properly placed inside the car.
    However, it may not be the best choice if you have a small screen and want to see mirrors or other things. Your choice will be a trade-off between realism and functionality. But it is an awesome starting point.
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. ouvert

Premium Member

Works just fine... You will probably need few laps to get used to lower fov, but once you do you won't be able to drive with "incorrect" one.
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. xnorb

Premium Member

Just as in FPS:
    Pick the widest you can without screwing up your accuracy.
    Peripheral vision is way more important than "immersion".
    (And our eyes have an extremely wide FoV)

Don't know if you can change distance to monitor somewhere, because this is basically the driving factor to define the FoV for a "i'm looking through a window into the game world" experience.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BoogerMac

Premium Member

You can change the distance to monitor by clicking the little man below the monitor and dragging him towards and away from the monitor.
  6. I believe he meant if you can physically move your monitor closer to you. The closer the better, just as the larger the better.

Edit: Now that I've read it again, it seems I'm wrong about what he meant. Haha.. But I'll let this comment live anyway.
    • Haha Haha x 1
  7. Had to read it twice :D:D:roflmao::roflmao:
  8. The video below shows the same replay simultaneously from two different FOVs. The more common wide FOV on the right does show more peripheral vision, but the speed at which you appear to be travelling is greatly skewed from what you would experience in real life. The default FOV in GSCE is 50º, I think.

Notice how bridges or banners over the track appear in the distance and then pass over the car. With a lower FOV, you can see them approaching and pass by realistically. With a higher FOV, they are tiny in the distance, then they suddenly appear and zip by very quickly. The same is true for your braking points or opponent cars. A low FOV will likely improve your driving by allowing for more realistic reaction time.

I have a 25" ultra-wide monitor about 15" from my nose (I built a simple monitor stand that puts it over my wheel's FFB motor case and beyond the front edge of my desk.) I use 30º in GSCE.

It takes a little time to get used to, but it is worth it. Now I just won't play a racing game that forces a high FOV in cockpit. (Codemasters games can be fixed; it's a hoop to jump through, but worth the trouble.)

Here's another video that discusses FOV in racing sims:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer
    Premium Member

Every time I get a new sim I always use this tool to find out the correct FOV for me setup.

In fact I find so useful I even chipped in with a donation to help him develop it further.

He has some great guides for sims like Dirt Rally helping set them up for triple screens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm using this one: http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

The site looks nicely built, but monitor sizes and distance are limithing, and I can't set my setup in there. Also, the body wont stop dragging once I touch it...