Pittsburgh International Race Complex LiDAR "Tech Demo"

Tracks Pittsburgh International Race Complex LiDAR "Tech Demo" 0.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
ohyeah2389 submitted a new resource:

Pittsburgh International Race Complex LiDAR "Tech Demo" - A very simple model of PittRace to test LiDAR data usage.

This is a "tech demo" (even though this technology has been around and used for a while) of a totally new version of Pittsburgh International Race Complex. This will serve as my first public release of a track for Assetto Corsa, and the track will gradually improve over time as I receive feedback and my skills improve. A few assets have already been made for this track, but I have not inserted them as they are not needed yet.

The track is completely devoid of anything except for a...

Read more about this resource...

Honestly - as an alpha - the 2015 version was enough to make me fall in love with the PIR Complex, and I've been disappointed it was abandoned and not shown any love by the community. I'm not a modder myself, but I'm selfishly stoked that you might see your version through to completion!
I personally love circuits with elevation changes like PIRC, and hope you'll eventually be able to capture the look and tarmac feel for those who are familiar with the track. My local circuit is CTMP (Mosport) and I LOVE JohnR's mod of it - possibly something to aim for in terms of quality for this one. I'll definitely be following the development of this one. Thanks for sharing this with us.

What about contacting the creator of the rF2 track?

We've used it for racing at RD, and it's really good! :)
I don't have any experience with rF2 modding, and from the very little I've read, Autodesk 3DSmax and 3DsimED are almost required to make track mods for it. I don't have or want 3DSmax or 3DsimED, so even if the creator of that mod would be comfortable with me converting it to AC, I don't think I would be able to do much with the source files which I would want to have.

Looks cool though, it will probably be great reference material. Really, I am doing this track to learn some new Blender techniques, namely working with its node-based shaders to create (hopefully) a more realistic terrain, grass, and asphalt base texture.

I don't have any experience with rF2 modding, and from the very little I've read, Autodesk 3DSmax and 3DsimED are almost required to make track mods for it. I don't have or want 3DSmax or 3DsimED, so even if the creator of that mod would be comfortable with me converting it to AC, I don't think I would be able to do much with the source files which I would want to have.

Looks cool though, it will probably be great reference material. Really, I am doing this track to learn some new Blender techniques, namely working with its node-based shaders to create (hopefully) a more realistic terrain, grass, and asphalt base texture.

No worries. I don't do AC, never got into it. I just know that some have had permission to convert some good AC mod-tracks to rF2, and they look a-mazing.
My whole line of thinking is that the more modders help out each other, also between different games, the more goodies we all can get for all our games :)

Then again, with people like you learning more stuff, that will also help everyone! :)

Honestly - as an alpha - the 2015 version was enough to make me fall in love with the PIR Complex, and I've been disappointed it was abandoned and not shown any love by the community. I'm not a modder myself, but I'm selfishly stoked that you might see your version through to completion!
I personally love circuits with elevation changes like PIRC, and hope you'll eventually be able to capture the look and tarmac feel for those who are familiar with the track. My local circuit is CTMP (Mosport) and I LOVE JohnR's mod of it - possibly something to aim for in terms of quality for this one. I'll definitely be following the development of this one. Thanks for sharing this with us.
I'm going to let you and everyone else know right now that I am not a pro AC modder (or 3d modeler in nearly any regard), and this is also only one of quite a few track 3d modeling projects I have going on, so progress will be slow. The current item I'm working on is the surfaces of the track that aren't easily modeled from duplicating a mesh along a curve, such as the pitlane(s) and alternative layouts, as well as the grass immediately surrounding the track.

I have been working on a version of PittRace's kart track for Kart Racing Pro, so I have basic versions of the textures for the buildings surrounding the track, as well as 3d models for the kart pits. That track should be coming out on RD in the next few days or so, pending 1 3D model that I need to replace it's placeholder of (the watertower).

No worries. I don't do AC, never got into it. I just know that some have had permission to convert some good AC mod-tracks to rF2, and they look a-mazing.
My whole line of thinking is that the more modders help out each other, also between different games, the more goodies we all can get for all our games :)

Then again, with people like you learning more stuff, that will also help everyone! :)
I like AC because it's so easy to mod, or at least it seems easy to mod. That means there's a lot of mods available for it, ranging in quality from excellent to quite bad. I do want to learn how to make mods for rF2, but all the shaders and object naming conventions and everything that aren't done with a dedicated editor make it seem a little challenging.

I like AC because it's so easy to mod, or at least it seems easy to mod. That means there's a lot of mods available for it, ranging in quality from excellent to quite bad. I do want to learn how to make mods for rF2, but all the shaders and object naming conventions and everything that aren't done with a dedicated editor make it seem a little challenging.

Yup! There is a reason why AC is very popular among modders :) It took over for rFactor 1 when it comes to modding.
Most important thing is to do what you think is fun, and if you make something amazing, maybe someone begs you to be allowed to convert it somewhere! :)

Just stumbled upon this randomly looking for East Coast tracks we run and honestly without anything in it this is one of the more accurate "feels" of Pitt or anything I've run, LOVE IT. Just drove it for awhile by feel and elevation changes and its GREAT. The tarmac at Pitt is pretty smooth since its pretty new, but maybe up the roughness a bit either way? Its the MOST abrasive track I've run (one set of tires a weekend normally, versus a set of tires a DAY at Pitt), so especially on the up hills there is a lot more grip than felt in this so far. Love it dude keep up the good work!

Just stumbled upon this randomly looking for East Coast tracks we run and honestly without anything in it this is one of the more accurate "feels" of Pitt or anything I've run, LOVE IT. Just drove it for awhile by feel and elevation changes and its GREAT. The tarmac at Pitt is pretty smooth since its pretty new, but maybe up the roughness a bit either way? Its the MOST abrasive track I've run (one set of tires a weekend normally, versus a set of tires a DAY at Pitt), so especially on the up hills there is a lot more grip than felt in this so far. Love it dude keep up the good work!
Thanks for the feedback! The new version with the replaced placeholder grass is almost ready, and I was thinking about toning down the smoothing a tad bit. I'm not sure there's much I can do about the actual surface grip, I don't think the values in the surfaces.ini will go above 1, but I can look into that.

I've been working on some other things for a while, so that's why there hasn't been much progress. Here's a photo of the current state of the track:
1651946540489.png

Got one question: This track doesn't wanna start on my laptop, am I using the wrong CSP version or has the track been updated so much that my laptop won't support running it anymore? (If it's the wrong CSP: What version do I need? Currently using 1.60)

Got one question: This track doesn't wanna start on my laptop, am I using the wrong CSP version or has the track been updated so much that my laptop won't support running it anymore? (If it's the wrong CSP: What version do I need? Currently using 1.60)
I set the extended physics flag for rain physics to work, so you'll need a version that is compatible with the extended physics. 0.1.77 or the latest Patreon build should work.

I set the extended physics flag for rain physics to work, so you'll need a version that is compatible with the extended physics. 0.1.77 or the latest Patreon build should work.
Thank you for that info

Editing one week and probably eighty to a hundred laps later:
I am absolutely loving the track. Been to it once with a friend of mine and his KTM XBow R, and we were hardcore shredding the tires while driving there. What you built here feels a bit too icey (as in sliding around, if that made any sense) and is WAY too kind on the tires, but other than that the track (just from track surface, yk) is one of the best I have ever driven in AC

I mean, yes, I still am to fall off the track into the nothingness that is probably there instead of a barrier (as I would assume the biggest portion of tracks in this early state of development does) and that may or may not be caused by me going slow because for some reason I have the irrational fear of falling off tracks like this in videogames. I haven't tested that one out yet. But this track seems so promising that I can say for sure this is gonna be awesome. I've got faith in you making this track a banger

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! The new version with the replaced placeholder grass is almost ready, and I was thinking about toning down the smoothing a tad bit. I'm not sure there's much I can do about the actual surface grip, I don't think the values in the surfaces.ini will go above 1, but I can look into that.
Turns out the values can go above 1; they can go as high as you want. If you set them to like 100, the car will literally flip when you try to turn. I'll set it to 1.1 for y'all to test on the next release and we'll see how that goes.

In other news, I want to create the grass and full track mesh before the next release. However, doing it all manually is a gigantic pain, and I've been researching how Geometry Nodes work in Blender to see if I can utilize them to make creating this (and future tracks) in a quicker way.

I installed AC just for this track and mod so apologize for the beginner question. AC is crashing whenever I load this track and not sure what I can do to fix it. I am able to load other installed tracks fine. This is the error

Error might have something to do with:

AC\inireader.cpp (253): INIReader::getFloat
AC\surfacesmanager.cpp (63): SurfacesManager::loadSurfaceDefinitions
AC\surfacesmanager.cpp (29): SurfacesManager::SurfacesManager
AC\trackavatar.cpp (47): TrackAvatar::TrackAvatar
AC\sim.cpp (1066): Sim::loadTrack
AC\racemanager.cpp (351): RaceManager::initOffline
AC\racemanager.cpp (174): RaceManager::loadSessions
AC\sim.cpp (320): Sim::Sim
AC\splashscreen.cpp (319): SplashScreen::postRender
AC\game.cpp (181): Game::onIdle
AC\game.cpp (210): Game::run
AC\acs.cpp (477): wWinMain

I installed AC just for this track and mod so apologize for the beginner question. AC is crashing whenever I load this track and not sure what I can do to fix it. I am able to load other installed tracks fine. This is the error

Error might have something to do with:

AC\inireader.cpp (253): INIReader::getFloat
AC\surfacesmanager.cpp (63): SurfacesManager::loadSurfaceDefinitions
AC\surfacesmanager.cpp (29): SurfacesManager::SurfacesManager
AC\trackavatar.cpp (47): TrackAvatar::TrackAvatar
AC\sim.cpp (1066): Sim::loadTrack
AC\racemanager.cpp (351): RaceManager::initOffline
AC\racemanager.cpp (174): RaceManager::loadSessions
AC\sim.cpp (320): Sim::Sim
AC\splashscreen.cpp (319): SplashScreen::postRender
AC\game.cpp (181): Game::onIdle
AC\game.cpp (210): Game::run
AC\acs.cpp (477): wWinMain
I enabled extended physics, are you running the latest public version of CSP?

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 93 71.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 25 19.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 28 21.4%