Resource icon

Cars [Physics] Toyota MR2 AW11a Suspension.ini 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Tennisbiki submitted a new resource:

[Physics] Toyota MR2 AW11a Suspension.ini - Suspension files for Toyota MR2 AW11 street configuration

In 1986, in the very first issue of Automobile Magazine, an 1986 Toyota MR2 was pitted against a Ferrari 308. The magazine declared the MR2 the winner. This little mid-engine Toyota took the automotive world by a storm when it was introduced in 1985. And was ranked 8th on the list of Top Sports Cars of the 1980’s by Sports Car International magazine...

Read more about this resource...

What AW11 mod is this data overwrite for? You could always put the mod link into the downloadable file as a text file, mind you. I am interested in testing this as I've always been interested in 80s and 90s Toyotas, especially the MR2's.

Last edited:
Here is the link that I found under a YT video. Looks like the same mod I used, the SC one.
There was the same physics by and model by text file as the mod I used. In this pack of 2 files, one has the na engine and the other one has SC engine lut file.
Good luck. Let me know how you like the suspension.

Here is the link that I found under a YT video. Looks like the same mod I used, the SC one.
There was the same physics by and model by text file as the mod I used. In this pack of 2 files, one has the na engine and the other one has SC engine lut file.
Good luck. Let me know how you like the suspension.
Hey,
You mentioned about stock tires in the description, does downloading this and just swapping the two files you uploaded would be enough in the SC version? Or tyres.ini is also needed?
Also, by "slightly over inflated", how much psi would you suggest?
Thanks for the work! I love old Japanese cars :')

Hey,
You mentioned about stock tires in the description, does downloading this and just swapping the two files you uploaded would be enough in the SC version? Or tyres.ini is also needed?
Thank you for your interest in this car.

After installed your downloaded AW11 mod into CM, I suggest that you use the AC car tuner to add a tune to the downloaded car, then the original mod will not be overwritten. And you will be able to compare them if you like in the future. Next copy my files to replace the ones in the new tune. The included setup.ini added the semislick tire option, thus either copy the SM tyre file over or add the SM tyres from CM. I also used AC car tuner to change the engine from KS AE86. This 4AGE is JDM spec, which is slightly higher than the US spec, which I drive in real life. This engine change is not necessary.

FYI, I recently downloaded an 88 Toyota MR2 SC from Darek, including a stock, a tuned, and the rally version. The stock one looks great, the best I have seen around. I tested the stock car and it is tall (high ride height) very lively, softly sprung.. difficult to drive well. I think the one ToyoBart one, I first downloaded is quicker. But I feel my tune, even with the same ST tire is more forgiving and allows me to put the car where I want the easiest. I feel most connected. I also ran all 3 in a track day mode and the lap time, with AI, reflected how I feel. My tune was quicker than the other 2. But I like others to verify that.
I might want to tweak the default ride height again to get to 150mm and -1.5/-2.5 camber and neutral or a tiny amount of toe in in the rear.
Let me know how the install go and how it drives for you.
Also, by "slightly over inflated", how much psi would you suggest?
This is on my real car. It is a standard practice to inflate the tire pressure higher than specification so that the tires are not rolled over during hard cornersing, in AutoX or track days.

Hi there! I was happy to find this mod because I have an '87 AW11 and I found that the NA mod to be pretty unrealistic. I think this suspension tweak does a really good job adding more body roll but I still feel like the car loses grip a bit too easily. Might be an issue with how I drive in AC vs real life though. Either way, I think it's a big improvement so thanks for making this!

Hi there! I was happy to find this mod because I have an '87 AW11 and I found that the NA mod to be pretty unrealistic. I think this suspension tweak does a really good job adding more body roll but I still feel like the car loses grip a bit too easily. Might be an issue with how I drive in AC vs real life though. Either way, I think it's a big improvement so thanks for making this!
You are very welcome, dear fellow AW11 fan,
We are a dying breed, .. aren't we? There are so few aw11 around and many are driven by young and care-free owners who easily molests and wrecks the precious few surviving samples. And I am guilty of neglecting my 86 show car. Anyway, we are all young once.
Thank you for your complement in this "mod". It is really just a tweak. Initially I thought I can really make it better, like significantly. Now I am not sure. Today I ran both the original SC from ToyoB and my most recent tune at a similar setting on EK Tsubuka Fruit-Line and .. yeah, there is a difference. The original car has this spring or rubber-band feel on the wheel, like if I went too far, it would snap back. And the car did snap back in a hurry, once it started snapping there is little I could do to recover that. Mine, with a slightly different rear suspension geometry, and about 1.6 Hz ride frequency front and back seems to tame that a little. On the ToyoB SC the rear spring rate was way high, plus there is a rear arb. What most people do not know is that high rear spring or wheel rate and rear arb both shifts more weight toward the front during weight transfer, such as braking or trail-braking. And adding cornering lateral load demand as the weight is shifting away, takes away rear grip, and the rear end gives out.
Anyway, this is what I learned, like really understand lately, from the tweaking I am doing now. (I just did ACCR's Lancia Stratos, it is now fun.) Lesson ONE, keep the rear arb away from AW11. It is not needed in our car. Toyota took r arb away for a reason, now I believe them.
Oh, you meant SC mode not NA mod right? The starting point of my tweak is ToyoBart's aw11 SC mod.
"loses grip a bit too easily" Do try to describe how it loses grip. During trail braking? Downhill entry to a turn? Exiting with throttle?
The ultimate limit on grip is about tire. If you want more outright grip and lower lap time, I suggest that you add a semi-slick tire from CM. And maybe tweak the setup.ini to allow you to change it.
I am currently raising the ride height to about 170 mm from about mid 150mm, and reducing the negative camber in the rear to 2 degree. I did this to get close to what my car, which was an ES AutoX car, with stock height, and -2 degree was the most I was able to get out of it. And then to balance that I added f arb to 10K and reduced the front negative camber. Certainly this does not increase the overall grip of the aw11, but perhaps add a hair of realism or a bit more forgiving.
There is something addictive about driving this aw11, with na engine. Yes, it is slower than the SC but the tracking out, corner exit, is so .. satisfying. (I did one corner on Thunderhill.) On the SC I could not simply mash the throttle. Trail-braking or throttle can help rotate the car, and it challenges you to get close to the limit but also bites you if you cross the edge, thankfully not too bad, if you have the road. With my tweak, I felt that I could sense the edge approaching and not getting surprised. On the track when it spins, it simply scrubs off speed and recovers. In comparison, the NA mx-5 felt boring. Even Elise felt less responsive. An AutoX buddy of mine is a mx5 guy. When he visited and drove in AC on Laguna Seca, he crashed and spinned every single cars except MX5 and Lancia Fulvia. AW11 trains us well, MX5 in comparison is the EASY button.
Sorry about the lengthy reply. I do love the AW11. Do share your thoughts, I welcome them.
Cheers, "Mr. Lee MR2" search words on Google for my 86 on 2 magazines.

Last edited:
You are very welcome, dear fellow AW11 fan,

Hey there! Sorry for the extremely late reply. I went back and tried doing the process again, and I found that I was initially using the wrong base mod. I also added the semislick tires, it worked a lot better. It was also honestly partially my error since I realized that in general while playing Assetto, I tended to be too heavy on the throttle or too fast on corner entry since I don't have a good sense of speed when playing. I will keep driving it around, so thanks again for creating this tweak.

I also am not as experienced of a driver as you, so I'm sure that comes into play greatly. I've never tracked my AW11 or driven many other sports cars so my own experience is definitely lacking in that regard. I do agree though that driving the MR2 even somewhat hard gives an appreciation for trying to feel the limits of the car and it's a really gratifying experience that makes me glad I chose to buy an MR2 over other similarly priced used cars (or even some more expensive ones)! And speaking of Laguna Seca, I just recently moved to the south bay so I'm hoping to one day be able to take the MR2 to that track, though that probably won't be anytime soon.

Last thing, I bought my AW11 on a whim and had only a few hours to decide whether or not I was going to buy it, and I saw the article written by Jason Cammisa on your MR2 which was part of what pushed me over the edge into buying mine. I have a last question about your actual car - did you keep it stock like the article said in 2011 or has it been modified since then? Mine is entirely stock (except the wheels, which are steel wheels that were on when I bought them) and I am thinking about getting new shocks. Wondering if you have any recommendations for suspension that isn't too stiff! Thanks again for this and for being one of the few MR2 owners out there.

so thanks again for creating this tweak.

Wondering if you have any recommendations for suspension that isn't too stiff! Thanks again for this and for being one of the few MR2 owners out there.
You are welcome. Just make sure you use the setup I suggested. (I currently like the higher ride height, which has more feel. And I found the semislick more snappy and prefer ST)

I am located in Monterey Bay, so be sure to look me up when you are planning to be in the area.

For real world driving, there is no substitute for seat time. I highly recommend AutoXing. It is kind of like a gateway drug for driving. In AutoX you get to push the car to the limit in a safe environment. Track is not as forgiving and put more stress on the cars.

I am ashamed to say that the 86 is sitting in the garage since the pandemic. I am afraid to try starting it. errgg.. It is completely stock, thus could be in the category of "collectable classic", another magazine article.

I do have recommendation for struts. Koni Sports. I am glad that you want it not stiff, most people go for the "sporty" feel. I once went cheap and went for #2 choice Tokico ? Illumina? I regreted it as soon as I took the first ride. It was way way too stiff even at the lowest setting. These adjustable shocks has one dial that controls bump and rebound together. If you only track the car, then you can probably use it to bump up the "wheelrate". But if you enjoy driving the street then stay away from those. Save up and get Koni sports. I typically keep the car at full soft on the street and it rides great. And you can dial up the rebound for spirited driving. But in general, stiff means less chassis movement and feel. So Stiff is reserved for R-comp tires and autoXing. This was with the 89 I had.

Last edited:
I think this suspension tweak does a really good job adding more body roll but I still feel like the car loses grip a bit too easily. Might be an issue with how I drive in AC vs real life though.
Driving in AC is quite a journey. I started about end of 2020 and started with
aw11 mod shortly after. I happened to look at a replay on Drift with AW11 in early 2021 and was shocked to see how I was plowing everywhere. Then I redid the track with my current car. I was right away 3 sec. quicker and I was rotating the car.
It is a difficult lesson to learn .. gotta slow down enough for the car to turn, and you gotta give it time to make the transition. It took a long time for me to accept that and allow myself not to push hard all the time. I know, I have been there, I am sure other people have as well. You look at the clock and just keep pushing, faster and faster, heart rate up, sweating .. faster and faster. It worked to a certain point then you started crashing right and left. A lot of frustrating laps after that.
Well, change mode.. watch the clock differently perhaps. When did the clock turn green? Before the turn or after the turn? Now a days, I noticed sometimes that I can go red, slower in, and then I could get a better exit and went green. I found that you have to be patient and give up a bit of entry speed, or corner speed, and get a better exit. And as always the shortest distance and tightest line often is the quickest.
It is funny about becoming quicker.. it is not about the thrill and excitement, it is .. pretty .. mathematical. I think Spock would be quick. Ha!
(It is impossible to work on quick lap as an action goal because a quick lap is the result of many things. so work on each individual things braking, turning, throttling.. Work on one bit at a time, the the bits adds up to have a good lap.. Sorry learning business is my profession so .. )
Try to have fun while being mathematical.

You are welcome. Just make sure you use the setup I suggested. (I currently like the higher ride height, which has more feel. And I found the semislick more snappy and prefer ST)
Will do, I haven't tried the ST so I will try that!

I was just in Monterey for car week! Will look you up next time I'm down there haha

Good to know about AutoX vs tracking. I haven't seriously looked into either before and knowing that I think I'll probably avoid tracking the MR2 since I try to baby it a lot, maybe too much. But AutoX seems like the ideal middle ground. Love the red 86 you have too.

And thanks so much for the recommendation. I think the original suspension is going out, otherwise I would have probably kept it stock. But I wanna do it right, so I'll probably be saving for the Koni sports like you said. Probably will take a while though since I just graduated college and don't start work for a couple months!

Driving in AC is quite a journey.

Honestly yeah, I'm already by far not a track driver in real life so AC is a learning experience. Will try to isolate and focus on improving single aspects at a time. And no worries, my degree is business-related as well so I appreciate the tips haha

Thank you again for the detailed replies, I enjoy reading them.

And thanks so much for the recommendation. I think the original suspension is going out, otherwise I would have probably kept it stock.
You are welcome!

There are a lot of good information on MR2OC.com. If you already joined the forum, you probably already know about the white bushing in steering rack. And a full suspension bushing replacement is highly recommended. The stock bushing is going to be hard to come by, so Prothane .. stay with the l http://twosrus.com/ is the go to place for all things MR2.

I am glad that you decided to keep the car stock. Most people get into MR2 because of the low cost. At least it was "cheap". Many many MR2 ended up being molested, trashed or crashed. It is actually more rare having an unmolested it is more valuable too. My blue 89, yes the 3-wheel dancer, my race car, came with the steel rim. I thought it was rare, more rare than the triangle on the 86. The 89 was an ideal racer because it was a stripper, no option, no rear wing, no skirt, hard top. I put my 2nd set of wheels with R-comp for AutoX but ran on stock steel rims and skinny tires on the streets. I love the way it drives. So lively even at regular street speed. Why spending money getting more grip but take away the fun, I wonder. .. Anyway, I take pride in being a keeper of something special. Cheers, to the few who truly appreciate the AW11.

Last edited:
You are welcome!
There are a lot of good information on MR2OC.com.
Wow, thank you for the info. I was aware of the forum but not of the steering bushing and the suspension bushing replacement recommendations. I've had the car for about two years now and pretty much only done simple fixes and maintenance so it's good to know this kind of info.

And yeah, I agree and have seen too many dilapidated or abused AW11s out there. I wasn't aware that steel wheels were an option, I figured the previous owner of mine just damaged/replaced the original triangles. Your 89 is a fun example, it makes the car look so much smaller than it already is.

But anyway, your knowledge and experience is again super appreciated!

Your 89 is a fun example, it makes the car look so much smaller than it already is.

But anyway, your knowledge and experience is again super appreciated!
You are welcome.

Here is the 89 in a meet in Half Moon Bay. There really were/are not that many originals around. There were mod cars that won in a stock class??? Mine, first one with the steel rim and front hood up, was not pristine but completely stock. Anyway, after a few seasons of autoX, I was 5th in the Indexed ranking one year. It was my highest autoX driving achievement. (Look up "Pax index", a way to compete with all the classes) But really, I only AutoXed in a local club, I am a small fish.
1663291971245.png

Here in my garage prepping before autoX. Yes, I packed the 4 r-comp tires, 1 in "frunk", 2 on the passenger seat and 1 behind. The stock hub caps were removed for one less thing to keep track of for wheel change.
1663292024900.png

Last edited:
Hey mate. I had a lot of fun back then. My computer crashed and Im on a hunt to get all the mods I loved again. Of course, I came here, downloaded what you posted, created a tune (to not mess with original car) and replaced the files (setup and suspension ini) like I did back then. Now I am getting LODS missing error. What? I am not sure what I did wrong, the original car works okay but for the love of me I cannot make your version work again. did it all again, packed data, unpacked data, I am so frustrated. Do you have a tip for me?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.