PC Upgrading Discussion

Hey guys,

Was wondering if I could get some help. Just got my ATi 4890 delievered today. Before installing the new vid card I uninstalled the old drivers. Then install the new vid card and put it in place. Started up PC and start to install new drivers from the CD when halfway thru the process the PC completely shutdown. No power whatsoever. Then reboot and PC is on but nothing is on the monitor.

Do you guys have any ideas? Could it be the power supply (its 500w)?

I'm on another laptop atm and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

editted: old vid card was a 9800GT

Do u see the bios boot screen? if yes try booting in then press f8 right after the bios disappeared. Then start WIndows in safe mode.

If you dont see the bios screen then try putting back the old card and see if that helps.

Also what CPU, etc. 500w might be borderline for that card.

Here are the specs for my pc..

Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Monitor: Acer 20" LCD
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Motherboard: Microstar G31M3-F mATX
Computer Case: Ultra X-Blaster ATX

Yes bios boot screen comes up and able to go to the desktop. I do see the ATi control center and everything after install and rebooting with new drivers.

Then while on the desktop, PC makes a weird noise every few seconds. Like a loading noise or something. Then shutsdown completely, no power.

Sorry if i missed it but can you give us the full details of the Power Supply you are running, not just 500w, the make and model , take a look at it inside the case.

Sounds like it's some power issue, did you plug in pci-e power cables ok?

Try to boot up in safe mode.

However, the fact u r hearing weird noises is not the best of signs. Is there a chance u moved the heat sink on the processor? That would explain the noise (processor fan speeding up) and the shutdown (cpu is over heating and shutting down)

Power supply is a Raptor R500. Yes plugged in pci-e cables ok.

I'll try booting up in safe mode. I don't think I touched anything else in that area besides the graphics card. Don't know what else to do.

Thanks Eric, I appreciate all the help. :)

Ok, figured something out about the noise. Its the card fan itself. Looked underneath it to watch the fan. And it starts up and spins around a bit then stops. Repeats for a bit then the PC shuts down.

Oh good... I am not the only one with that issue:) I am running at 1920x1080 as well and had a huge stuttering earlier on. AA was at 3.

Install ATI Tools and search on the web on Triple buffering. Then disable Vsync in the game but enable it in the ATI Tools.

I was far too drunk last night but had a quick look at the settings this morning and may have sorted it. ATI Tools V-Sync enabled, disabled in CCC
Triple buffering has also been enabled using a tool called D3D in Rivatuner that I'd already downloaded but not used.

Booted the game up this morning and already noticed that the beginning movie had no tearing and looked more stable.

Hopefully I'll get some time to try it out tonight and then I'll report back.

Thank you both for your help!

hi guys could Damian or Chris take a look at these Bare Bones Kits and let me know if any of them are under spec? which one is best value for a machine that is dual purpose work/gaming?

thanks for the help!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/configdetails.asp?Base=2371075 can add 9800GT here!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/configdetails.asp?Base=2371075 has 4G ram. just add 9800 GT and go? also big power supply at 650 watts.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4360084&sku=V133-97200 huh what am I missing in this package? seems to be STUFFED with good stuff including 8G ram and dual GPU for gaming.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4396217&CatId=336 add in a nice card and this seems VERY strong for the $.

Eric, will look soon for you.

Power supply is a Raptor R500. Yes plugged in pci-e cables ok.

I'll try booting up in safe mode. I don't think I touched anything else in that area besides the graphics card. Don't know what else to do.

The Raptor could be the problem. I don't know much about them or if they are on the safe list,.
http://www.hec-group.com.tw/retail_power_supply/raptor_power/index.html?rand=0.9303187753390121

However, if the fan is making funny noises etc, it could be a faulty card, I will help you more soon with the set-up see if we can fix it.

Update: This morning bought a new ANTEC Truepower 750W PSU, installed it and video card still overheated due to the fan not working. With Damian's help figured out it must be a faulty card. Just returned back to Newegg via UPS and hopefully I'll get it sometime late next week. Did learn alot by having to change everything myself. And now have a PSU that I don't have to worry about anymore. Hope the new card works. :)

Hey Eric
just took a quick lool
the following 2 is for me a no go

the first link has a E2220 intel processor, which is more geared toward cheap/slow pc's (like my school pc or working office)
you can go for the Q6600 which is better, but with wanting to also go with the 9800GT, that will be some $200 extra
plus it has an old Intel 975 chipset on board (around 3.5 year old to be precise), so if one day your processor dies, you need to upgrade to a new motherboard in order for the new processor to work, which is a bit of more money (happened to me in the summer)

the second link is on my screen the same as the first link

now the other 2 links
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4360084&sku=V133-97200 huh what am I missing in this package? seems to be STUFFED with good stuff including 8G ram and dual GPU for gaming.
this one has potential, but (there is always a but :)) the graphics card is missing. It actually has an internal graphics card, which for me is a no go on that. you would have to buy a graphics card on the side (although it might be that this integrated graphics card is better than avarage...but still a no go..)

now this last one is great also. On an old processor (2 to 3 year old), but a good one with a good motherboard (although the motherboard said in the specification and detailed feature are 2 different motherboard, but still good). but it is above the budget (unless you have upped it a bit, then we can take a look again on this budget and see what we can deliver :wink:

hope this helps

hi guys could Damian or Chris take a look at these Bare Bones Kits and let me know if any of them are under spec? which one is best value for a machine that is dual purpose work/gaming?

thanks for the help!

Eric knows he has the card :D

You should get well over double those FPS anyway, hope Eric's tips sort it.

Right, tried the above and it's ok...

But, Fraps is showing that I'm locked at 60fps in RFactor and 60fps and below, (sometimes as low as 40), GTREvo

Something needs a tweak but I don't know where to start...

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel I'm nearly there with the setup for this PC for gaming

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events