Opinion: Where Next for Jenson Button?

I do think some people do forget the WDC is usually won by one of the drivers driving the best car out of the rest. Only times I remember some cars being equal is 07-08 and 2010.

Not to take anything away from the drivers of course.
You don't know who Ayrton Senna was then? :whistling::whistling:

You don't know who Ayrton Senna was then? :whistling::whistling:
Ohh I know who Senna was, but I'm just not a fan of him. I can appreciate the level of talent he had, truly amazing driver but he's never been a favourite of mine. but I respect what he did. I respect alot of drivers that go out in an F1 car due to the nature of the sport.

Last edited:
For me 07 McLaren had the best car, but the inter team rivalry got in the way of solid points for either driver. That was a nice example for Ferrari of how putting all your eggs in one basket with a single driver can actually work. I personally don't think the title deserved to go to Kimi that year, but at least he won one (which is a travesty it was only one). For me in '08 the Macca was again the car of choice, however I would of been interested to see how good the Ferrari actually was that season, as only Massa bothered to turn up that season. Would love to see how a motivated Kimi or other top driver would have done during the year.

Agree on 2010, that was a great season :)
wow, calling Massa bad because he did well during his time in Ferrari, I bet JB would've liked driving outside top 5 back then in a FERRARI.

Ohhh i would take anyone over that Buffoon crofty... Hate him soo much.
Personally I'd like to see Eddie Jordan replace Johnny Herbert on Sky. I'm kind of bored with Herbert, he seems to say the same rubbish every week. Eddie is so much better!

I'd be a rich man if I had a penny for every time Herbert said,
  • "Part an' parcel of Formuluh One"
  • "It's a situation vat is..."
  • "Sort've"
  • "It's just somfing vat is..."

Time for JB, Masa and Fernando to hit the road. There are getting up there in age and are now just racing for a paycheck with no motivation. Let the young drivers get their chance, they had theirs for too long! get em out!!...lol

F1 is a sport for young people not even the great Michael Shumacher was able to stay competitive at an older age. Probably this is more related to the mental attitude than to the driving abilities. At an older age the ambition to win and willingness to take risks is diminished.

wow, calling Massa bad because he did well during his time in Ferrari

Sorry, I think you misunderstand me on this one.

Prior to 2008 Massa had a reputation of something of a journeyman in Formula One, fast for sure, but not a truly top tier driver in the mould of a Schumacher, Alonso, Kimi etc. During the 2007 season he did reasonably well against his teammate but still came across as a solid number 2 driver. During 2008 he was outstanding, however the point I tried to make was if a driver of Massa's stature (at the time) did so well that season (Kimi basically checked out at the end of 2007), what could Ferrari of achieved with a driver of the calibre of say Shumi, or Alonso?

Not saying Massa is bad, by all accounts in 2008 he drove outstanding (and his behaviour at the end of the season shows the kind of great man he his), but if someone who has shown himself to not be in the top rank of drivers throughout his career could fight for the title right to the end of the season then maybe the car was a stronger package than a McLaren with two of the best drivers in it and helped him achieve the results he did.

Saying all that, I still like the bloke as a driver and respect him massively as a man.

To be honest, Massa has really dropped since his crash in Hungary, and even though he was on the rise with Williams in 2014, he doesn't deserve that seat any more. I think Massa should retire and focus on his family, and Button should move to Williams for a final season.

I always liked him (almost as much as Webber) for the no-drama sportsmanlike qualities he had (again, like Webber, in stark contrast to his teammate) coupled with a fair bit of speed and consistency.

But to be honest, I found it absolutely dump when he didn't quit at the end of 2014. It was clear that McLaren was on the decline, they strung him and Magnussen along for months without decision, that would have been the perfect time to follow Webber into WEC (Mark was openly teasing him about it). Hard to understand why he stuck with that team for two more years, watching that trainwreck of development on a car that's going nowhere.

Williams would make sense, but I do think the WEC is the better match for aging F1 drivers. It gives them more time for other things in life, it's a total team sport, and it requires experience and patience which only grow with age.

For me, Button needs to go to the WEC. Renault wants only youngsters (the team's director said it in an interview), Williams could be a possible place to go as Massa will move from Williams (BRING NASR BACK GOD DAMNIT) and Force India will keep Hulkenberg for next year (though I feel Porsche + Nico is a natural fit).

Button is just like Massa, he's more a leisure driver than anything else, they are not as competitive as in previous seasons.

I've always loved watching JB drive and he's given many great memories for me with his impeccable driving style and the way in which he has always handled himself in the media. So many could learn from him.

I would love to see him go full circle and finish off at Williams but only if it was a competitive car which is looking increasingly unlikely. I really can't see him going anywhere else in F1 so the alternative of the WEC would be a great fit. Following in the footsteps of his Dad in Rallycross is definitely in his mind but as mentioned previously thats for a later date and not quite yet.

his best bet is WEC, he only won the championship in 2009 because of the highly overpowered car, just like Hamilton is right now.
really, the 1st option is Williams? Why, Bottas and Massa are doing just fine, Ferrari and Red Bull have passed them only because of the money those 2 teams have for development.
The car was overpowered at the start of the season. But he still did an amazing job beating more experienced teammate Rubens Barrichello.

I really hope Jenson stays at McLaren, he deserves to be because he has been there when they were good and bad. But I think if Williams can be competitive I would like him to move there.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 9 6.0%