Online opponent cars stuttering

• Thread starter Deleted member 387850
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 387850

• Deleted member 387850

I recently upgraded my monitor from a 24" 1080p 75hz to a 27" 1440p 144hz Gsync. Everything has been going well - I love the extra size, resolution and smoothness. However, I've noticed during online races the opponent cars are all stuttering up and down. I can see this when I'm in my cockpit, or if I jump to an opponent cockpit I see the horizon jumping up and down in exactly the same way.

I've had this issue on RaceDepartment servers and SRS servers, and I captured that video from a public server. I don't believe it's a network issue as my network has been rock solid ever since I went with a hard wired connection, and I never had this problem in 6 months with my previous monitor. I've tried both the Medium and High graphic presets in R3E and at High I'm getting a stable 130-140fps. In Raceroom Video Settings I have set the correct resolution and refresh rate and V-Sync is off. My Nvidia drivers are up to date and I'm not using any overlays on the screen or 3rd party apps. I should also add that this only appears to happen in online races - this does not happen if I race against the AI.

Has anyone seen this before, or any suggestions as to where I might start trying to troubleshoot this?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 387850

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Glad to hear it's a known issue which at least means I can stop changing settings here, there and everywhere trying to fix it! Hopefully a patch comes along soon...

Just out of interest, do you have any idea if this is caused by the higher resolution or the higher refresh rate?

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Glad to hear it's a known issue which at least means I can stop changing settings here, there and everywhere trying to fix it! Hopefully a patch comes along soon...

Just out of interest, do you have any idea if this is caused by the higher resolution or the higher refresh rate?
I have absolutely no experience nor an idea what causes it but when the only difference is the refreshrate (and maybe fps?) then I would suggest limiting the fps to 60 and just check.
The best limiter out there would be Riva tuner but it's quite an adventure to install it (maybe getting the odd update error which will make the installer freeze for a few minutes before it continues).
And afaik it only comes with msi afterburner.
The programs do only work together so you can not kill only one of them (both die or one gets restarted).
Of course if you don't touch the overclocking sliders nothing will happen and I think, judging from the LUT thread, that you wouldn't screw up anything!
However the plan would be to go into the Riva tuner then and enable a global fps limiter to 60 as it's quite "the standard". "0" will disable it and if you don't like it you can uninstall it after testing of course. I love the oc tools of afterburner and the overlay from Riva tuner though :p

I am not 100% what the exact issue is but I don't believe it has anything to do with refresh rate or resolution.
From what I understand...which isin't much :)
It sounds like its a combination between tire size, suspension which might be clipping the track mesh or the system is switching between human/ai physics causing some cars to have a visual shake.

• Deleted member 387850

I think you’re right! Curiosity got the better of me and I plugged my previous monitor in. It does exactly the same thing! Its more noticeable on the new monitor, but now I’ve seen it I can’t un-see it :geek:

I think you’re right! Curiosity got the better of me and I plugged my previous monitor in. It does exactly the same thing! Its more noticeable on the new monitor, but now I’ve seen it I can’t un-see it :geek:

I agree!
I am one of those people that once I see something odd I can't unsee it and it drives my nuts lol

My biggest annoyance is games with running shadows on fences appearing 5ft infront of your vehicle.
I get distracted and end up like a deer in headlights.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 387850

Hopefully this has now been fixed as part of the March update. Unfortunately I had to return the new monitor as it had a few issues and to top it off I was finding it very hard on my eyes! I specifically chose a PWM free monitor with a fast refresh rate thinking it would be easier on my eyes, but apparently not. I guess there are more factors at play than just screen flicker and refresh rate! As it happens when I went back to my Asus VG245H I found that the same behaviour does occur at 1080p and 60/75hz, but it just seemed much more pronounced on the higher resolution, fast refresh rate display.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.