No sound / audio? What's the fix?

I hadn't played in months, but recently watched a BTCC race on TV & fired up the game & my sound does not work.

I searched & found some fairly old info but still tried changing many of the settings they recommended & restarted the game after each change, etc.

Is this a well known issue, & if so - what's the fix?

I vaguely recall having this issue and I had to change the in-game sound device from one of devices to another. I might be misremembering another game but worth a try.

Last edited:
I hadn't played in months, but recently watched a BTCC race on TV & fired up the game & my sound does not work.

I searched & found some fairly old info but still tried changing many of the settings they recommended & restarted the game after each change, etc.

Is this a well known issue, & if so - what's the fix?
Shovas has the work-around. Caused by a bug when the new Race Control system was released in the Oct 2023 Release Candidate.

Thanks for the replies - I assumed that Shovas was referring to in game settings which I had already changed from AUTO to SPEAKERS - restart - NO GOOD. Tried changing that to HEADPHONES - NO GOOD.

I had also already swapped my Windows sound defaults between speakers & headphones & tried every combo in the game settings + the windows settings.

I really only use my 40watt desktop stereo speakers but was just trying the headphones setting to try & force a fix & even plugged in my headphones to FAFO, but I did it while the game was running and it worked!

I was being very systematic about this & ran Laguna w/ an MX5 & had sound with headphones (which only activated after I switched the Windows source from speakers to headphones).

After a successful race w/ HEADPHONE SOUND, I tried to run it with SPEAKERS & NO GOOD.

Methodically went back to headphones & NO GOOD. WTF!

Then it finally dawned on me...

I HAVE to start a RACE - pause
- hit windows key (to see taskbar & systray)
- click speaker icon in systray
- switch from headphones to speakers

MAGIC! It worked.

Because I prefer to play with desktop speakers:

I leave RF2's SPEAKER CONFIGURATION on AUTO.
- doesn't matter what it is set to - none of 3 settings work.

I pick a track & car & start a race...
- hit windows key (to see taskbar & systray)
- click speaker icon in systray
- switch from speakers to headphones & back to speakers
- - doesn't matter if I swap to nVidea Sound, HDMI TV speakers, etc.
- - I just have to swap from speakers to any other device & back to speakers

It was fun to get back in & run a few tracks in BTCC cars, but what a PITA.

I'm going back to Race 07

Just ran Race 07 - in 4K - and had more fun in a racing game than I've had in 16 years! ;)

I ran the Mustang mod @ Laguna & the WTCC 2010 @ Brands Hatch.

What a HOOT!

Now I am off to run the old STCC tracks!

PS: the sound works fine...

It seems to be in effect when you start a new session or change car within a session. I've found that going to the ingame sound options and changing from Auto to Speaker or Headphones and waiting for about 10 seconds, then going back to the pits does the trick. Odd that it's only really the driver's car that is muted, the ambient track noises are all still present.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.