New guy with a video card question (GTL related)

I recently found my old racing wheel and decided to try some PC racing after a long break, to show how long it's been since I've done any racing, GTL was just about to come out when I last raced. I just bought a copy of GTL and GTR2. While playing GTL at a night race it became apparent that I need a better video card.

After researching and figuring out how much I was willing to spend to get a new card I decided on a EVGA Geforce 9800GT which is currently on it's way. I decided it would be smart to look for the latest drivers before getting the card so I would be ready for when it arrives. While doing so, I stumbled on a thread at the Nvidia site's forum about how the 8, 9 and 200 series cards have problems with the GTL/GTR series of games locking up and kicking back to the desktop using certain drivers.

Have any of you experienced this problem, and if so, is there a solution to it?

Can you suggest what drivers to use for this card?

BTW, there was no real confirmed solution posted on the Nvidia forum, but the posts were about a year old.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90741

I had an 8800GTS, and experienced black screen lockups in the Race series, but never in GTL (which is not to say that they don't happen, I just never experienced them). I ended up changing to ATI, but as I say - never had any issues with GTL, nor rFactor, for that matter.

I think some of our GTL regulars use quite old drivers, but again that might be so they can use Race series properly.

On my old GTS 250 ( 9800 GTX ) works best with 186.18 ( No stuttering or freezings and the best performans ) but with my new GTX 260 the newer drivers are better.

I don't think I've had any problems with GTL with my nV cards. 8800GTS or the 275's I have now.

If you want to try the 186.18 mentioned above, if they are already gone from the nVidia website Guru3d.com have an archive all the older drivers.

I had an ATI 3870 that would crash all the time with GTL. I traded with a friend for another 3870 to see if it was my particular card. Ended up being the same, random crashes all the time. So then I downgraded to an nVidia 7800GT and it ran perfectly. Now I have a GTX285 and I have the latest drivers and it still runs perfectly.

I had an ATI 3870 that would crash all the time with GTL. I traded with a friend for another 3870 to see if it was my particular card. Ended up being the same, random crashes all the time. So then I downgraded to an nVidia 7800GT and it ran perfectly. Now I have a GTX285 and I have the latest drivers and it still runs perfectly.

Same for me too. No CTD's yet using Win7 and GTX295

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Forum trophies