New Automobilista owner

I bought AMS this weekend in an impuls, after reading much good about it.
I am relatively new to sim-racing: I have been doing it for about 6 months, in RD with R3E, where I drive around with the slow 25%, and having a lot of fun.

I have noticed that AMS is harder to drive than R3E even when not trying to go to the limit - I have been practising a bit with the formula Vee and there is nothing in R3E that compares to this experience. So I was wondering about racing online with RD in AMS: are those races suitable for a novice driver, or is the whole field very competitive, so I would only be a burden and a danger, with nobody to fight with in the back?

I installed one 3rd party track (the one for tonight's online RD race) in-between the stock content, but I wonder if I can keep the 3rd party content separated from the rest?

Using a mod manager does the trick ... as unactivating an addon track, a modded car or skin packs for example takes the added files out of the stock game.
In order to activate and unactivate added contents, those have to be installed with the mod manager of course.

The old good JSGME still works perfectly in this meaning.

NB when unactivated, added contents remain in a separate folder created at the install of this mod manager..

If it makes you feel better, I can't drive the Vees at all! Formula extreme no problem, formula classic around Bathurst no problem but the Vees around Velopark? No chance :roflmao:

My two main tips, mainly for open wheelers but they also apply for other cars:

1) brake bias, this was the huge problem for me when I started on SCE, I kept locking the rears of open wheelers under braking and spinning out. Push it further forward and lower the brake pressure to something like 59:41 and 88% pressure. For tintops, lowering the pressure, as with in WTCC in r3e is really helpful. At the moment it's not about the best setup to go quick, it's to get round the track consistently.

2) particularly for open wheelers, softening the car, lowering tyre pressure by two or three clicks and raising ride height by two or three clicks, it all just makes the cars a bit more drivable :)

Hope this all helps. I'd been playing racing games as long as I can remember but had never playing a sim until early last year and these things made a huge difference :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I drove Cascavel with the Vee this weekend, and I really liked it.

Started very slow, then each round a little faster, discovering the lines. Then I started to feel the sliding and the control of the turning in the corners with the accelerator pedal, which is a glorious feeling. Each turn I cut my time by a few tenth of a second, but still I got the feeling that I would need many more seconds off my time before I could start to race online, so I missed the Monday race. Especially since I am sure I would spin off as soon as I would have to react to other drivers.

It sounds like a good start, glad that you enjoy it!
Don't be too shy for going online: from my experience, nobody here will blame you for going off track ( :x3: ) or spinning… You just have to be careful when you rejoin and make sure no one is arriving. The worse that can happen is some fun about your dust in TS… :D
Online races can teach you a lot: seeing other drivers' line or getting advices are really helpful. I feel like I improve a lot since I race in the club. Good luck, keep it up! :thumbsup:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.