1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Meteorite Shower Hits Russia

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Omer Said, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

It's strange that these things could not be foreseen by something like satellites or weather forecasters etc... :O_o:

Quotes from sky.com
    Not just there, many websites report it. I quoted it as it was on top of the google results.

2. Another one:

4. Was a bit shocked when i saw it today, the sound of it´s impact is crazy :)

Omer Said the reason they can´t detect them is because they are too small.
    Certain military radar systems can probably detect them when they have entered the atmosphere but the speed it´s travelling at makes it impossible to warn anyone.

Speed was 33,000mph and weighed 11 tonnes.

It´s size is nothing compared to this bad boy that will pass us today,
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...rock_will_miss_the_earth_by_17_000_miles.html

[​IMG]

seems Russian scientists are saying different things, here´s another take on why it wasn´t visible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. A friend told me CNN will broad cast live from 7:25 PM GMT.

6. nice gif, i would have **** my pants if i saw that. Instantly thinking of Armageddon :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mohameddo-san

Mohameddo-san
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

That must have been scary. Good thing it was not as large as the Earth or we would all be dead.

I hope those people are alright.

8. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Oh man! pretty intense. Good thing DA14 passed by rather than hitting earth. That would of been very catastrophic.

9. Not to scare the **** out of you, but something barely the size of the Gulfe of Mexico is plenty enough to pulverise all life forms from the Earth.

10. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Not to scare you but a meteor by the size of six miles should be enough. That was the size of the meteor than ended life for the dino's when it hit the Yucatan peninsula.

Just six miles and a single impact and we don't need to worry about crisis', god/allah, democrates/republicans, good/bad anymore ::)

Then when the clouds of dust and debris have disappeared some other retarded lifeform can take over from us.

Cockroaches will replace humans and within 50 million years they will be simracing :)

[​IMG]
    Got to love nature!

Very unlikely that such objects will hit us though in modern times though.

More likely is that our way of life will be ended by a massive explosion of the Yellowstone Caldera and when that happens I hope ill be standing next to it to witness it. End with a massive baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ah yes, 6 miles... I mixed up the location it fell and the size :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bram

Bram

Here the same asteroid filmed in 1972!!!! Thank <insert holy fictional character> we had an awesome gatekeeper in the west at that time.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Chunk of meteor that created the big hole in the lake is mysteriously missing now. Some Russian officials were claiming new American tech and not a meteor. Kind of far fetched but the missing meteor doesn't do much to disprove that opinion.

15. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

Well either way if a meteor of that size were to hit earth again i hope i'm right in it's crash path and does me in quick. I don't want to deal with the waves of destruction it creates. ;)

16. Bram

Bram

Even that I won't mind as it must be a super interesting experience. Earth's atmosphere filling up with dust, temperatures dropping fast after a few days because sunlight wont reach the earth's surface anymore. Ice age symptoms all over the globe. And then after we have used all our resources the peaceful silence for years and years and years and years and years.

Can't wait for the BBC documentary :) Oh shoot, there will be no more BBC then.

17. Bram

Bram

Very weird things happening:

- Very flat approach of the object.
    - Sonic booms after object passed
    - Duration of the sonic booms

18. Bram

Bram

Point of impact

19. Bram