Massive understeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick a circuit, pick softs, drive all the GT3 cars in AC, just a few corners, will do do.
Then tell us which understeer and those that do not
at low speeds. 60mph.
From my perspective some of the GT3 cars really bite
on the front, some are neutral, some understeer.
:)

If you really want to solve the problem you say you have with AC:
- post a screenshot of the T300 settings in the Thrustmaster program
- post a screenshot of your FFB settings in game
- post your hardware settings (type of monitor, GPU and CPU)
- post your ingame graphics settings (view, FOV, etc)
- use a simple easy car like the standard BMW E30 on a short track, do 10 laps, and post the replay file (it is in documents/assettocorsa/replays)
- you might do another bunch of laps with the same track and car with maximum negative camber on front wheels and also post the replay file.
Then we will be able to tell if the problem is related to bad FFB settings or some sort of input lag or graphic settings or bad driving or just in your head.

When I used to play AC daily and switched to rF2 for endurance races, I had the impression that the car rotation was totally unnatural, like mounted on a pivot. The impression disappeared after 20-30 minutes practice. I could have stopped after 10 minutes and called rF2 a messy game because I did not make the effort to go beyond habits taken in AC.

It sounds like the same problem I have with AC/ACC. It's the really tight, low speed corners that are the problem. Car setup? Maybe. Wheel setup? Possibly. It's like I don't have enough lock. In game setting? Possibly. See wheel setup explanation. So I believe the OP has an actual problem and it's probably a wheel or game setting. I can't help with a solution, as I only get about 2 hours a month to get behind the wheel ( newborn baby ), but I can help the OP see that it's not only him. BTW, I am using a very old G25.

Hi all, I'm new to ac, is it normal for cars to understeer catastrophically whe. You turn the wheel no more than 45-90 degrees

Yes, some people call AC "The understeer simulator". I raced a lot on iRacing, rFactor2, Automobilista, Race Room, and never had the understeer problems I had on AC. The good news is that this is mostly on road cars. The race cars are more balanced and you have plenty of adjustments (springs, dampers, roll bars) and with right car on the right track AC is one of the best sims out there - that's my goto sim currently. Try the race cars on high speed circuits and see if it helps.

As for the brakes, yes, they are also more difficult to adjust on AC (vs other sims). Try increasing the brake gama (on control settings) and lowering the brake pressure (on car settings). That will solve on most cars (not all though - Lotus Eleven will still lockup on the slightest touch).

• Deleted member 197115

Most, if not all road cars setup with understeer from factory for obvious safety reason.
Not sure about brakes problem. Get loadcell brake pedal and set gamma to 1, that helps with modulation.
Use "factory" settings for ABS to match the real counterpart, some cars are just not meant to drive without one.

Yes, some people call AC "The understeer simulator". I raced a lot on iRacing, rFactor2, Automobilista, Race Room, and never had the understeer problems I had on AC. The good news is that this is mostly on road cars. The race cars are more balanced and you have plenty of adjustments (springs, dampers, roll bars) and with right car on the right track AC is one of the best sims out there - that's my goto sim currently. Try the race cars on high speed circuits and see if it helps.

As for the brakes, yes, they are also more difficult to adjust on AC (vs other sims). Try increasing the brake gama (on control settings) and lowering the brake pressure (on car settings). That will solve on most cars (not all though - Lotus Eleven will still lockup on the slightest touch).

This explains it, I don't experience it in single seater formula cars, only road versions, pitty, thanks for clarifying something for me

This explains it, I don't experience it in single seater formula cars, only road versions, pitty, thanks for clarifying something for me

You are welcome. But I think only kunos original road cars have this massive understeer problem. Don't be limited to single seaters - original Kunos GT and track day cars are also well balanced, as well as many road car mods.

The BMW M3 E30 ('86) has the best street tyre model and oversteer realism I have ever seen in any simulation. Try it at Mugello. And the modern BMW M235i at Nordschleife is the best track day car simulation I have ever experienced. The KTM X-Bow R at Zandvoort is another gem. There are many epic car/track combo in AC - keep trying to find yours.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 955978

Jm2c:
You said you only get the annoying understeer in road cars. That’s quite the way it is, as others already said here. OEM setups (the setup the car comes from the factory) is optimized for road use only.
To go on track just put maximum negative camber and maybe some toe out on the fronts.
After that take this setup to an open road map and see why the OEM is what it is. ;)

I can confirm that getting better pedals improved my problems with understeer in AC significantly.

Left foot braking also did, but being a fan of clutches I am not quite ready to go there.

Keep in mind that in the real world street cars are deliberately set up to understeer like mad. I changed my real-world car from staggered tires to a square set (width almost what the rear was before) and it is a lot more balanced now. Early-mid-2000s BMWs are often coming with rear tires not only much wider than the fronts, but also with significant camber in the rear. And the dampers, again with BMW in particular, let the front outer wheel dive into the car's body in an unreasonable manner. With the primitive simple struct in the front of BMWs you then have the inner wheel at a useless camber (which only matters if it still have any pressure on it to begin with). So if AC cars behave the same way I am not ready to blame AC.

Mindless discussion.

There are cars on Assetto Corsa that has too much oversteer on default setup. And I am not talking about drift cars. 570s is a good example.

Seems to me a troll that creates something that doesnt exist and without any proof (a video for example) of his bulshit create this thread.

• Deleted member 379375

Mindless discussion.

There are cars on Assetto Corsa that has too much oversteer on default setup. And I am not talking about drift cars. 570s is a good example.

Seems to me a troll that creates something that doesnt exist and without any proof (a video for example) of his bulshit create this thread.

I'm not commenting on whether he is a troll or not but i'd just add that for a guy with many years sim-racing experience I'm surprised he wasn't aware of something as basic as that.

Most, if not all road cars setup with understeer from factory for obvious safety reason.

Yes, but there is a difference between "understeer tendency" and "massive understeer". I think AC exagerated on this. I have driven a few vanila road cars on the track in real life and they understeer at low speeds, but at 80kph and up they are far more balanced than on AC.

Even the road Ferraris have massive understeer in AC. I have driven a F430 in a real life trackday experience and it was very well balanced at intermediate speed turns. The instructor reprehended me a few times for sliding (they got to keep it safe and they don't want you to ruin the tyres) but it was mostly 4 wheel slides.

In my experience AC and ACC "feel" slower a bit less responsive than some other sims. I love both sims though. For my wheels I found that tweaking the Slip and Understeer FF settings helped. Some people call these "canned" or "fake" effects. But for me I use them in small amounts and it is a nice effect

Mindless discussion.

How is it a mindless discussion if others have confirmed the OP's situation? Sounds like you might be the one that is trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 67 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 103 55.7%