Maserati Tipo 61 "Birdcage"

Cars Maserati Tipo 61 "Birdcage" 2.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Still on the first skin, it is a bit of a strange one :p

Apparently Bill Krause (who drove this car) was related to the Von Dutch guy and he painted this car but only found one reference that suggests that. On models of this the wings at the rear are much more basic but I think I will give it the flying eyeball wings like this. The side warps quite bad so I moved some logos lower to avoid it. I also noticed the front end doesn't dip as low on the model as this real car, the red line around the mouth is visible all around on the real one with some white also visible below it and the light area is a bit different. I hope it doesn't change though or I will probably have to redo it :roflmao:

__custom_showroom_1565300109.jpg

__custom_showroom_1565300399.jpg

Still on the first skin, it is a bit of a strange one :p

Apparently Bill Krause (who drove this car) was related to the Von Dutch guy and he painted this car but only found one reference that suggests that. On models of this the wings at the rear are much more basic but I think I will give it the flying eyeball wings like this. The side warps quite bad so I moved some logos lower to avoid it. I also noticed the front end doesn't dip as low on the model as this real car, the red line around the mouth is visible all around on the real one with some white also visible below it and the light area is a bit different. I hope it doesn't change though or I will probably have to redo it :roflmao:

View attachment 319229
View attachment 319231
soo sexy! was difficult? i know is a bit more a pain, side parts warping a bit when in the top part. Just some mismatch in front to top align. I dunno if i Will rework the body a bit, but ill try not to break mapping if doing.

I did few tweaks, maybe someone will warm up tires with it, got a bit hooked to get the handling...

Backup original folder of course...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ez28v3ehi1iofe0/mantasisg_bird.rar/file

• Tires gets little bit more sensitive to temperatures
  • Slightly stronger brakes, because it is not 1957 anymore.
  • More rearwards brake bias
  • Bit sronger engine braking, of course
  • Less rear end aero lift, more front end aero lift. I just can see from the body shape that it had more front lift :D
  • Larger tire spring rate
  • More relaxation length
  • Higher base grip, more load sensitivity, a bit lower sliding grip, smaller friction limit angles, lots of balancing by feel for longitudinal vs lateral vs front vs rear...
  • And I think more heat from sliding and rolling, not sure what I did there with that :D
  • Pace ~ 92.5% of the original.
  • Hard to drive, be warned.
  • 1'29 at goodwood, some could do faster

I did few tweaks, maybe someone will warm up tires with it, got a bit hooked to get the handling...

• Less rear end aero lift, more front end aero lift. I just can see from the body shape that it had more front lift :D
  • More relaxation length
  • Higher base grip, more load sensitivity, more grip falloff, smaller friction limit angles, lots of balancing by feel for longitudinal vs lateral vs front vs rear...
  • And I think more heat from sliding and rolling, not sure what I did there with that :D
thanks mate, i'll try asap

soo sexy! was difficult? i know is a bit more a pain, side parts warping a bit when in the top part. Just some mismatch in front to top align. I dunno if i Will rework the body a bit, but ill try not to break mapping if doing.
Not difficult just not super straight forward either. First skin normally takes the longest for me.

• More relaxation length
  • Higher base grip, more load sensitivity, a bit lower sliding grip, smaller friction limit angles, lots of balancing by feel for longitudinal vs lateral vs front vs rear...

Perhaps got it slightly too edgy. I think AC FFB also does not go well together with such handling as it has very active self aligning torque from rear end.

Less open diff will make car less nervous and oversteery. Little less front grip will make it less oversteery. Little more sliding friction.

Attachments

• tyres.ini
    2.3 KB · Views: 137
  • drivetrain.ini
    2.4 KB · Views: 139
OMG! I just drove this thing and the modelling and the detail is absolutely BRILLIANT! I can't believe this is considered a beta version. This has already become one of my more favorite cars in AC. BRAVO!!!

Yeah another mod released in insane pace.

My first impression was that FFB is at least twice too strong, so I reduced it ingame.

Then the speed is very high, I did pretty much our big block Cobra pace at Goodwood. Without much effort, actually a bit faster, as I tried Cobra afterwards, and without getting serious I was slower than with this car.

Car actually was difficult for me for a couple of laps, because it was sliding hard, probably bbecause of less grip that I used for Goodwood (mod grip). I think sliding grip also feels so low, because of base grip being very high, most likely too high. So I think that sliding grip is probably kool, but base grip is too high. Car is definitely too planted for base grip, very obviously, but sliding friction may be good IMO And it seems so comparing my experience now watching the rl onboard videos, car is very playful.

I suppose this car should be at around 1'30 at goodwood. I did low 1'24 almost 1'23 very quickly without trying much at all. I see previous year it did 1'27, but everyone were too fast in 2018 in Sussex trophy, I mean too fast comparing to the historic pace, which should be around 1'30 I think.

I like the sound, though it is probably very wrong. It sounds like this, which is probably just poor audio:

Actually, this video here has a different recording of the sound where you can hear the engine sound a little more instead of the tranny gear whine you hear so much in the previous video (at least the engine sound comes through more on MY sound system):

Last edited:
No, but that is very eventful onboard video :D
I was only saying that in that first in-car video the audio sounds like it's mostly just picking up the drivetrain whine, and you can't really hear the engine much. Neither one of the videos unfortunately are very good for developing the correct sound.

Btw, does anyone know of any other good mods around this era for this car to play with?

Last edited:
Pessio updated Maserati Tipo 61 "Birdcage" with a new update entry:

1.0 Limited

Car reached maturity!
Is a "limited" version, i still have to do LODS, my mouse broke, and going to little vacations but wanna share it before.

NEW:
- a lot of cool new historic skins, made by @Andy-R, and one by @luathas, who fixed and revamped the old ones.
- some sound and physics fix
- steering wheel in correct rotation position

-skins came even in low-res 2K version for low end pcs, you will find in the LO_RES_skins folder, just rename...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Ok did my duty, it was a pleasure. Of course as usual testing at Goodwood. Haven't been able to get under 1'27, it gets difficult around 1'27'5. But from delta I see that low 1'26 is there, I just couldn't collect it in single lap.

I think it is fair to say that for current, at least previous year, revival laptimes it is about a second too fast now. And probably about 4 seconds too fast for its period laptimes.

Car is super awesome to drive, there certainly is quality in it. It feels planted while not overdriven, but easy to loose it if you are not careful when overdriving it. I spun it once. Main challenge now is definitely its resistance to turn, if not that it woul probably be not that much slower than before (I did 1'23 something before). Characteristic of driving feels awesome, you get that struggle to rotate a car as it resists that and understeers. But when front grips up snap oversteer can happen really fast, so you have to be ready for that, it is quite fun.
But yeah car is definitely on the modern oils and rubbers thats for sure. It may seem difficult, but it is probably about 4 seconds faster than in 1961, so... The way it is now it would beat Ferrari 250GTO, and it doesn't go much faster only because setup makes it hard to overturn it and slow on rotating, but be careful not to get snap oversteer :D

I haven't looked at the physics now, too lazy to unpack, also don't want to pretend like I am a physics guy, which I am not. But it does feel like it has way too much differential preload and/or coast power. And that makes it challenging and fun as it is, but I am unsure if it is how the car should really drive.

I have no idea how many of my tweaks were used, I don't say it is actually important. But just to mention, probably not much :D Which is perhaps a good thing, because I did made it more edgy and twitchy than this, and slower, taking less sliding, and it perhaps doesn't fit the way AC is. This one is more fun, and fits better to AC physics.

By the way, commenting just on car handling. I have no idea whats the accuracy of actual physics in terms of parameters.

Of course as usual testing at Goodwood.
Where else would one drive it? Your Goodwood is still one of my favorite go-to "old school" circuits (though I did yank the people).:thumbsup: Looking forward to the 1.0 version.;)

Still not entirely sure on the feel of this particular car (but she does look pretty good), though I will say that the last iteration felt quite a bit better than the betas. That said, it's not like I'd know what an actual birdcage feels like to drive (but this guy might), only going on reasonable assumptions here.

I noticed when on a bumpy track, hitting curbing or turning hard, the front tire geometry punches through the front fenders.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea