Left Or Right Foot For Braking G29/920 Pedals

Just curious which foot people are using for braking on this pedal set? I'm trying both at this point and left foot braking seems to be more effective.

I have a "lightly" modded g29 set. Always use my right foot for braking. Ive tried left and couldnt get used to it. By "tried" I mean I dedicated almost a week to learning left foot braking. No go!

Something I did that helped a lot tho is rotating the brake pedal 90* counterclockwise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Left foot braking does take getting used too but is more effective over the long run, just for the practical benefit of not leaving the other pedal covered and modulating both throttle and brake at the same time.

When I first started out with driving games I right foot braked as I do in my car. I then tried left foot braking and I was pretty terrible at braking, either bring too heavy or light with inputs. I can't remember how long it took to adjust, but it was worth it in the end. To avoid frustration, just learn over short stints by trying for a few minutes during the session. It eventually clicks.

Upvote 0
yep, if clutch is not required then left foot braking is the optimal one all the time.

I even see now that some real drivers using clutch will alternate in the same car to using left foot braking when they can. I.e. right foot braking when thy need to change with clutch but left foot braking when no clutch work required to that they can manage brake to throttle better.

Upvote 0
I was a karter years ago so braking with my left foot is natural to me, problem I have with the G29 is my really wide feet, so I kept catching the clutch every now and again, (which wa far from ideal). Now use the clutch pedal as my brake and have the brake pedal as my standing start clutch with auto-clutch for gear changing.
I will, sooner or later, customise it a bit with some form of resistance, be it just a bit of rubber like the brake pedal or a load cell and maybe get an angle-grinder to the pedals so I can use all 3 properly.

Upvote 0
I was a karter years ago so braking with my left foot is natural to me, problem I have with the G29 is my really wide feet, so I kept catching the clutch every now and again, (which wa far from ideal). Now use the clutch pedal as my brake and have the brake pedal as my standing start clutch with auto-clutch for gear changing.
I will, sooner or later, customise it a bit with some form of resistance, be it just a bit of rubber like the brake pedal or a load cell and maybe get an angle-grinder to the pedals so I can use all 3 properly.

Just an idea....

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_131601.jpg
    IMG_20201017_131601.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
Normaly in racing games when using paddle shift I leftfoot brake.
As said above it takes some getting used to but is smoother and with training also faster,
because you can blend accelerator and brake into each other to control the attitude of the car
(wheight management, search for Randy Pobst ;)

When starting simdriving i was convinced i would stay rightfoot braker because i wanted to use the sim as training tool for my road
(not race!!) car.

Well, things escalated quickly and i changed to leftfootbraking where aplicable.

I even changed the spacing of my pedals to make leftfoot braking more comfortable.
( Old fat guy with crappy knees :mad:)
Even if it means I have to change back when i want t drive stick which i do for fun ( trying to master Heel´N`Toe, greatings to LACanyons)

So, if you are diy enclined the Logitech pedals can be separated and mounted with the spacing you desire as Michael stated above.
Lots of Info on Youtube.

And if you are not planning on upgrading to another pedalset I can only advise you to go to a heavier brakepedal, best would be a loadcell conversion or similar. It´s game changer with brake force modulation.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 14.8%