1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

LED circuit help for an SPST momentary

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Alexander Rhodes, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I have a SPST momentary switch with an LED built in.

I need to know if it is possible to be able to turn the LED on with the first push, and turn it off with the next, without making it a latching switch.

I have seen multiple diagrams, but they have all been built around latching switches (switches that stay on until pressed again). I can't use such a switch as rFactor and LFS both will not recognize the button press until it returns to off.

The reason behind this, is that I want to use the LED as a speed limiter indicator. 1 push of the momentary button should activate both the limiter in-game, and the LED, the next push should release the limiter and deactivate the LED.

The switch has 6 pins:

1 + 3 +
    5 + 6 LED +/-
    2 + 4 -

2. You may have to add some sort of circuit to toggle power when you use the switch. By this I mean that you press and release the switch, the light goes on, press and release again and the light goes off. Will look into it a little and see what is required to make such a circuit.

3. I could be wrong, but this will not be that easy to achieve in a simple manner at least. Jim is right, it will require a dedicated circuit to make it work.... I will have a think :)

4. The circuit that is required to make this work is called a "T Flip Flop" I am no electronics person so I can't tell you how to make it, but that is what you need for the light to function the way you want it.

5. Will I need an integrated circuit for that?

6. no promises, but think I have a circuit :) Just need to get the old bread board out and test me theory's out, might be a day or two :p

7. Looking forward to your Ideas Brian :D

I have seen the Todbot vid before, it uses an IC though, I was hoping to avoid that as I'm not going to have much space for one.

8. Hi Alexander

Im afraid its gonna have to be a 555 ic job :( I really cant see a better way. On the plus side, it could be made pretty small if you can etch your own boards or know somebody who can ;)

9. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to wait on that until I can get hold of one.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'll go looking for some IC's soon.