Learning with AI

So after trying out several cars and finding which ones suit me best for now, I’ve started learning some tracks and doing single events with small numbers of AI.

What I’ve come to realize is that I am terrible at driving with more than 6-8 other cars. I decided to set up a championship with several tracks and 18-22 cars just to try it out and build my “stamina”.

If I am able to get near front at the start and not make big mistakes, adaptive AI challenges but I do decently. However, if I qualify near the back, AI makes almost NO mistakes and is impossible to catch.

I’d like to do MP races in the future but would like to know, if I can’t compete with AI when starting near back, does it mean that I should just bag the idea of MP races for now?

Not interested in getting lapped in MP if competition is that hardcore.

TLDR:
Just wondering if “practicing” with AI is ultimately helpful or thought of as lame?

The benefit of working with the AI is learning the track and how to not run into the car in front of you. When you're very slow compared to the AI, that's an indication that you're not understanding something about the best line, about how to use the throttle/brakes. There are occasional spots where you can't do what the AI do, but there are just as many spots where you can outperform the AI.

Put simply, racing against the AI in any sim is not helpful in learning to race real people. Humans are unpredictable and no AI can prepare you for them.

If you want to learn race-craft, bite the bullet and jump online. Our clubs are specifically for relaxed, friendly racing rather than competition, making them the perfect place to learn.

Also, you shouldn't expect to be able to compete right off the bat. We all started somewhere, and that was at the back full of nerves, worrying about crashing or ramming someone. Driving fast is one thing, racing is another, and there's no substitute for experience.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.