Just another sim rig

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my sim rig design (mix and match from a few I had seen on here and elsewhere) for the benefits of others. Mostly because I struggled to find dimensions of rigs "setup" and this may benefit people. I am 180cm tall — and the rig is pretty much at its limits. If I were to order it again I'd go for 1300 rather than 1250 side rails.

It's not quite finished yet with the end caps etc but it's pretty much all sorted and adjusted.

The seat is a very uncomfortable Cobra Monaco Pro from my old track car.

Some observations:
  • I probably could have done without the front pedal towers and just used the chassis rails, flipping that supporting beam so it's on top instead of underneath. I might do this in the future if I ever want to free up the 8 angle connectors for attaching something else.
  • Ignoring above, I wish I had got taller pedal towers so that I could put a shelf on top and mount my PC above my feet. I'd probably just go for 4040 rather than 4080 and put in a couple of braces front to back between the towers.
  • By error I ordered 500mm instead of 496mm for the 4040 pieces that the pedals bolt onto - this is fine but makes adjusting the pedals slightly tight..
  • The rig is _really_ solid. Note the extra plate on the wheel supports. I have no idea why you'd want to go any more than this. Even if I upgrade to a DD wheel (which is ultimately limited by the strength of your arms, not the rig) (I mean, try grabbing that top deck and twisting it with your hands/arms, impossible) — I just can't see it flexing. If it did then I'd put in an extra beam between the main chassis rails under the wheel. Possibly also some larger angled connectors (80x40 or 120x80). Most certainly it won't take much.
  • The idea that I am going to adjust the positions of this now is highly unlikely. Set and forget.
  • It's heavy!
  • I plan to put castors on it so I can move it around, but I will keep some kind of levelling feet - the floors in my house are not that flat.
  • Also, consider feet because... cleaning... getting a hoover under there etc
  • If I were to do it again I'd consider a design that didn't use vertical wheel deck supports because it's a bit of a pain to get into the seat. I'd probably make the pedal towers taller, and 4040, and then have wheel deck supports coming out horizontally towards the seat.

IMG_8965.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 11.45.17.png

Last edited:
  • If I were to do it again I'd consider a design that didn't use vertical wheel deck supports because it's a bit of a pain to get into the seat. I'd probably make the pedal towers taller, and 4040, and then have wheel deck supports coming out horizontally towards the seat.

View attachment 374552

Just buy a slider to allow you move the seat back for easier entry/exit. Slider occupied approx. 25mm height.

Attachments

• P1020088.png
    P1020088.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 353
  • SimRig8020-051520-Modela.jpg
    SimRig8020-051520-Modela.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0
For sure that’s the solution for the issue right now, but would have been better to have solved it with the design in the first place.

Need to work out if I can solve it in aluminium extrusion for the same or cheaper than a slider.
They are only $30-$40 max for decent double locking set ... I do not believe you will be able solve it cheaper with 8020, plus it works so easy with just one hand. But it is your call. Mine stays locked in place with insignificant noticeable play in forward to back movement (less than 1mm or 1/32") and no side-to-side or up/down movement. :)

US

or even more for genuine Sparco

EU

or even more for genuine OMP (similar to Sparco)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea