Is Classic Content Overlooked in Simracing?

There can't be unlimited amount of entirely different simulators, because genre is nieche. And who knows how many slots there are free for more titles/subtitles/engines. Though new titles probably does attract new people. Would old attract new ?

Also real simulation appears to be on a mission the whole time, thats why I was surprised when Dirt Rally was not continued to be developed, but instead CM backed up with Dirt 4, which was nothing like it.... trust is big deal in simulation genre.

You can see all legit simulators being developed for years even after release. And it is being done usually by small group of people that is keeping it real literally.

We'll see what Reiza will do next. Will we see two studios sharing development on same engine, or at least helping each other ?

Personally I definitelly don't look for exclusively classic cars simulator. Actually I wouldn't even want something that is strictly one year and strictly one type of cars. But I definitely wish that classic content will stay relevant and popular, and hopefully not only stay but become bigger.

Last edited:
well that's the thing to, if you only give you visuals with slight physics updates, it probably wont' sell

would you buy GT Legends remastered on AC engine if it cost $50 ? and the team who would put it together might need to get more then 100,000 copies sold

I know, most of the people does. For me they are ugly and slow.

Something tells me you wouldn't be able to drive this at %100 boost and beat the AI at %90. Drive this 'old' 'ugly' and 'slow' beast, then you can go back to your '89 Honda Accord...
w0jbs4.png

classic cars and tracks are the most fascinating and enjoyable contents for a simdriver
no driving aids
on those cars you really drive

modern cars are unnatural spaceships, already boring in reality. why simulate them?
for that you can take a spaceships simulator

I don't mind classic cars, the problem is that my setup is perfect for a GT3 or same sort of cars, but for cars that need an H-pattern shifter, not to mention heel-and-toe... Not at the moment...

You do not really need me to explain what is wrong there. Those tracks are meant for a specific kind of racecars, and only by making the right combo you can get the right level of enjoyment. Classic tracks are boring with modern racecars, just as classic racecars are hard to have fun with on modern tracks full of chicanes, for which they were not meant to be.
Can't really agree with that. The challenge of wrestling any type of car on any kind of track (or road) is part of the fun in driving. Racing modern cars on classic Monza can still be very challenging, they're not slot cars. Racing classic grand prix cars on modern tracks can still be a lot of fun. Taking cars out of their comfort zone can always be fun. It's what you make of it.

Besides, there are no truly "boring" tracks in my view. If a track is boring you're not pushing enough. (Though that doesn't mean specific sequences of turns can't be more enjoyable - in general or in specific cars - than others. Or looks nicer, or whatever.) Maybe there are other issues that prevent someone from having fun just driving if it gets "boring" sometimes.

For everyone at work who had/has no idea what sim racing is as well as friends and people I meet. I always tell them remember I said this now. "The future of car preservation is sim racing, certain parts of the world are already phasing out the ICE, and in the future sim racing in VR will be the only way drive many cars that won't be allowed on the road, cars way out of our financial reach, or cars where only a few exist". I'm sure in the future we'll see more classics and this is only the start of how big sim racing will be.

Last edited:
(I just jumped for a bit of setup tweaking and practice for tomorrow's GT3 race after we've done a Group C race tonight. Yeah, so much for old cars being slow :p Driving the GT3 after that felt like going on a nice calm Sunday afternoon drive with your family :D)

• Deleted member 503495

Classic content is not adequately recreated in simracing, why should it be popular when virtual rides have oddities in build or behavior? It is a shame it is rare to find good material. Two of the most popular games in iRacing and Assetto Corsa have issues with their representations, from tyres in one to aero, tyres, and whatever more in the other.

Classic - with varying definitions to various people - often caters to an older demographic that saw the vehicles while they were actively racing or were fresh on folk lore. The older you are, the more difficult it is to be as invested or have the time for a hobby like racing games with all the peripherals.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.