is an kill switch really necessary for a Podium DD1?

I've had my Podium DD1 for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it. A real step up from the TS-PC that I was using before.
Question is: do I need the kill switch that Fanatec offer? It costs nearly a hundred euros, which is a lot of money. Before somebody says " oh, but you can build one yourself much cheaper ", I know that, but I'm much too lazy at the moment to do that. I'm suffering from " Covid-19 lockdown " lethargy ;)
I mean, what are the chances of the DD1 running amok anyway? Is a kill-switch a sensible safety feature, or just something that's going to sit there gathering dust from one year to another?

I've been running a DD1 since their launch (I preordered on day 1) and have never felt a need for a kill switch. I'm responsible and don't have any kids at home.
You've confirmed what I secretly thought already, thanks for saving me €100 :)
And also good to hear that your DD1 has been trouble free since you bought it. Fanatec has a mixed reputation here: some people swear by them, and others at them, if you understand what I mean.
My Fanatec v3 pedals and SQV 1.5 shifter are well over three years old now, and I've never had a moments trouble with them. And as a bonus, now that I have a Fanatec wheel too, I can connect everything else to the wheel, and only need one USB port for all my hardware. As I had the TM wheel I had to connect everything separately, which led to some terrible cable spaghetti...
I now have several USB extension cables and a 9-port powered hub left over :)

Upvote 0
I've a DD1. The killswitch I have is not a fanatec - it's a third party one. And I've needed it. I think it was AC - crashed one time and my wheel ended up spinning violently back and forward.

Best thing though is that it's a power switch too - integrated into the housing. Much better than trying to find that tiny power button on the back.

So, I'd say yep. I'd give it consideration. Mine was cheaper than Fanatec's tho.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 14.20.33.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Best thing though is that it's a power switch too - integrated into the housing. Much better than trying to find that tiny power button on the back.
Is it a power switch? If not an actual power switch I'd be wary about using the emergency stop to kill power as a way of turning off the device.

With all safety equipment you never need it until you need it.
But over all I think if there's only one person using the wheel it might be a bit redundant, you may not be able to press the button if something does go wrong, they are mostly intended for someone else to come along and kill the machine. In a public setting I'd say they'd be mandatory, in a home setting with no one else around to hit the switch, it's less effective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you look at the embedded pic - there’s a small power switch which properly turns on or off the DD wheel.

I never use the e-stop to turn the wheel off.

The ‘C-‘ button illuminates when the base is on, powered by the wheelbase. It’s a very neat solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got the kill switch - like others have said it's major advantage is serving as a remote on off switch. Ive had to use it a few times when the wheel went crazy, or rather I did use it when the wheel went crazy - these things aren't life or death - the worst that is likely to happen is bruised knuckles or a sprained thumb. The way some people speak you'd think you are in danger of losing an arm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After reading a few of the replies here, I've just ordered one from Fanatec.
I work as a luthier and guitar tech, and I have to play client instruments every day as part of my job.
Having to play with a broken or sprained finger or thumb is not on my list of the best things in life, so I've decided better safe than sorry. :)

Upvote 0
I've got the kill switch - like others have said it's major advantage is serving as a remote on off switch. Ive had to use it a few times when the wheel went crazy, or rather I did use it when the wheel went crazy - these things aren't life or death - the worst that is likely to happen is bruised knuckles or a sprained thumb. The way some people speak you'd think you are in danger of losing an arm.
1607372245268.png

Upvote 0
Main reason I made my own and installed it was for the on/off switch as it was going to be awkward to get to the back of my DD1 to turn it on/off.

I haven't needed to hit the emergency kill switch yet and read somewhere on the Fanatec site from Fanatec themselves that they have never needed to use it either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Main reason I made my own and installed it was for the on/off switch as it was going to be awkward to get to the back of my DD1 to turn it on/off.

I haven't needed to hit the emergency kill switch yet and read somewhere on the Fanatec site from Fanatec themselves that they have never needed to use it either.
What the hell, I've ordered it now anyway, and as you say, it'll be better to turn the DD1 on and off. The switch at the back, apart from being relatively inaccessible, has a terrible feel, like you're pushing a piece of rubber, no solid click at all.
I see the DD2, which costs €300 more, comes with a switch as standard, marketing reasons I suppose.
And one thing more, it'll look as cool as fck :D

Upvote 0
Refreshing to see someone change their minds after reading some information and there is no pile on.

I too made my own, but I understand that isnt for everyone.

Upvote 0
Refreshing to see someone change their minds after reading some information and there is no pile on.

I too made my own, but I understand that isnt for everyone.
At the moment, I have so much work in the shop, the instruments are stacked up all over the place, otherwise I'd have concidered making one myself. The parts are cheap, and I can solder, it wouldn't have been hard. But at the moment I'm making hay while the sun shines, and trying to get as many of the jobs out the door in case the complete lock down comes to Germany in January, as is rumoured in the media here. Difficult times for us all..

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea