iRacing Review

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

iRacing Review

More than five years after its initial release, I feel it’s finally time to give iRacing the professional review treatment. Five years is more than enough time for one game to sort out all of its issues, the game costs several times more than your traditional boxed PC game available on the shelves at Best Buy, and deciding whether to take the plunge based on biased forum ramblings is never a good idea. Six hundred million laps later, it’s time to finally take a look at iRacing, and determine...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the discussion is useless when someone undaunted continue to show only half of the true. Quoting a post from D.D. isn't the best way to shine, his post is just the representation of the ignorance of the video-game world.

The NTM is more complex than others TM, Dave Kaemmer is the most experienced tire modeler in the world, this is a fact.

The staff is working hard to improve the experience, someone works 60+ hours a week. Anyone of them claim the NTM is perfect, everyone say they have to continue to work to improve it.

Bash their work, and say this is a "fail", or they have to bring back the otm, or put into question the ability or dedication, after years of work is just an idiocy, there is no more respect on the work of the people.

There are only 2 alternative: support DK and do constructive criticism, leave iR if you don't like it.

Bash, whine, without any sort of understanding on the dedication and sacrifice everyone put on its own work, it's just stupid.

Btw I really hope the FW31 will be improved asap with the NTM v5, and also hope the 49 will be a great car, so people can start to understand the NTM is a good project after 3 years of continue bashing, but realistically I think the whining will continue for ever, bash iR it's an hobby.

The NTM is more complex than others TM, Dave Kaemmer is the most experienced tire modeler in the world, this is a fact.

The amount of nonsense about iRacing's NTM just keeps growing:rolleyes: :

As if this were not enough:

Eric Hudec:
Dave is the only one on the planet doing what he's doing. Not Goodyear, not Firestone/Bridgestone, not Michelin and surely no other online sim racing organization. He is the authority on physically based tire modeling.

I think Hudec is on sim developing more than you Chronus. Do you have any proof to contradict what he wrote?
You know nothing about me, so your opinion on "who is on what the longer" is worthless.
The real question is, other than just parroting/echoing what Hudec and some iR staff say, do you have any proof that DK is what you claim him to be?
Or is this just one more case of iRacing hyperbole that no one should take (or takes) seriously?

I know DK is valued and respected by all the simracing world. Also Aristotelis Vasilakos in the past wrote about how much good was the iRacing physic (search his iRacing review he wrote few years ago); or Stefano Casillo wrote he continue to subscribe to iR because it is the best.

So, we have on one side some of the most important people of simracing world, and the staff that works with DK every day saying he is capable to do a good work.

On the other side Chronus.

Btw I have wrote he is the most experienced tire modeler, not the "best". Maybe someone will do a TM better than the NTM, but no one can debate that DK has worked on tire models more time than any other sim developers.

I read through Aris' article and it is from 2008 when iRacing was giving out more invites and more open to who could get in and on the OTM. Which many feel like wasn't as bad as many claimed it was.

Many of the bugs and things that Aris complained about still exist to this day on iRacing. And for arguments sake the physics have remained the same if not worse.

Dewcrew88,

the discussions about the OTM being faulty go way back before we had any hint that the NTM was nearing release.

I for one never thought it was bad. But it had bad facets to it, and thus allowed some people to effectively exploit it and drive in a manner that was far removed from RL (you remember our discussions about people, with any car, spending a lot of time sideways with little to no penalty in terms of tire wear/degradation and even no time penalty (the more time you spend drifting the less time you spend doing what needs doing in order to achieve better, faster laps; not so with the OTM).

The odd thing is, regardless of the evolution and radical changes to the tire model, some of the old issues are still there in various degrees. In my opinion, though, neither the OTM or the NTM are bad tire models - not just as good as some make it look.

Oh I remember Chronus ;) ..

I guess what I miss most since I primarily drive Oval cars is the fact that the OTM forced us to save tires. I would say I am middle of the road top split oval but I was able to win quite a few races by simply keeping the tires on the car on a long run.

The OTM had much better FFB, iRacing was tops for me in FFB now I feel like I cant even feel the car. After a few weeks with long hours in P&G3 I went back to iRacing in the Impala B and it felt like I was driving a hover craft or a car that weighed next to nothing. Yet the Impala B is a 3400lb car! P&G translates to you how the car weighs, what the tires are doing and all that great stuff. For all the physics flaws I feel like the OTM still conveyed better what the car was doing. Now I have little to no clue on iRacing why the car did what it did. P&G I do and I can beat a buddy who has always kicked my ass on the Road racing side, yet on iRacing I cant even stay in the same second bracket.

After severall months I just signed up again on iRacing to check out the new improvements ... i must say im so happy with the way the cars are feeling right now ... im racing with Pontiac Solstice and Ford Mustang and the grip feels much better ... dont know what changes they made but ... well done:thumbsup:

The skip barber makes me think that they are headed in the right direction... somewhat.

Its not even being sour with them or anything but I cant help and feel that this shoudlnt have taken this long to get it to feel some what acceptable.

I also renewed membership after six month and on my machine stuttering makes game totaly unplayable (i7 3770, 16gb ram, 660TI, W8 64, SSD disk (game is not on SSD)). It doesn`t matter, am I alone on the track testing it or in qualy/race with 20 others. Strange, but OK. I won`t cry because 12$ :).

I'm using the service for 5 years now and just came to say 2 things:
1. The tire model sucks and there is no indication that iracing has the capacity to ever make it work.
2. They now introduced a ****ing gestapo policy for their forum where every negative comment gets deleted and the poster suspended so now you can't even tell them how much their NTM sucks. Stupid head in the sand policy hope it bites them in the ass.

First of all, I must point out, my expirience with iRacing back in 2010 was complete dissapointment. Bad FFB with almost no setup options, strange cars behaviour and bunch of brats on the tracks.

I tried it again in `12 and after that again a month ago and the progress of the game in one year is unbelevable. Nature of my job is a bit strange (nightshifsts and a lot of fieldwork), so I can`t join leagues, because I could miss two or three races in a single month. So, only way to race MP with full grid of skilled racers any time are iRacing servers.

OK, to keep the story short! I hope Assetto Corsa (my favorite) bring us multiplayer with similar options as they are in iR (I am completely dissapointed with other games -zero-people-on-servers- multiplayer), otherwise my money in the future goes just and only to iRacing, period :). ...Huh, my English ... :unsure: ...

This week:

Last edited:
I know DK is valued and respected by all the simracing world. Also Aristotelis Vasilakos in the past wrote about how much good was the iRacing physic (search his iRacing review he wrote few years ago); or Stefano Casillo wrote he continue to subscribe to iR because it is the best.

So, we have on one side some of the most important people of simracing world, and the staff that works with DK every day saying he is capable to do a good work.

On the other side Chronus.

Btw I have wrote he is the most experienced tire modeler, not the "best". Maybe someone will do a TM better than the NTM, but no one can debate that DK has worked on tire models more time than any other sim developers.

Who cares if DK works that hard. The cars are still hard to drive, slide way too much. There is something wrong with the "game". I have driven real cars on real tracks and the difference is simply too much. Back to the drawing board for DK and perhaps he should give us a big price discount until he gets it right. All these guys who think the physics is that great need to go on a real track and see how things are in reality, but then again people are spending so much money on iracing that they have little left to go on track ... or perhaps they simply like the safe world of the PC where you can spin like an idiot and still believe it's like reality.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 6.4%