iRacing: New Damage Model Video (Preview)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have released a fresh video showing the current state of the work-in-progress damage model for the simulation.

Seemingly making great strides with the way the iRacing simulation represents damage when out on track, this latest preview video gives fans a very impressive demonstration of just how far things are progressing within the title - although we still don't yet know exactly when this new gameplay feature will be arriving to the popular racing simulation.

In the latest video, we once again see various cars in action out on the circuit, however be sure to check out a sneaky look at the yet to be released Audi TCR machine - a very welcome new piece of content set to arrive within the iRacing store in the reasonably near future...

Stay up to date with the latest news, check out the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment!

iRacing Damage Preview.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
What this discussion shows is what you would expect with any market. When a company gets something very right that makes them a success, they are held to a higher standard and attacked.

iRacing is the 800 lb gorilla in the online racing community specifically because they have a solid business model that allows regular competition that they have been evolving and growing over the past decade. This is not all the result of their marketing engine. The reason people stick with iRacing is the competition they provide. They have critical mass which gives them sustainability and consistency.

My take is that they get so much right that it really frustrates people when there is something they that leaves room for improvement.

As a result of iRacing's success, people want to see a competitor step up to the plate to challenge them and be less expensive. Some people were hoping ACC would be that competitor with a real online racing system, but they don't have a system that appears to work well and they don't have critical mass and rather than building on AC which people liked, they created something all new that doesn't seem to perform as well. I'm not saying that they didn't make other improvements to the game, just that there has been disappointment with their online racing capabilities.

I've read many complaints from people about how PC1 was still buggy when it was discontinued and PC2 was just starting to get good when they started talking about PC Revolution. People feel abandoned and want them to continue developing what is already out there.

In both cases the base of players is fragmented. People don't want what they have to be left to rot and to then have to buy a brand new version that they know will be buggy and take a while to get worked out only to get drop kicked to the curb when the manufacturer feels the need to come out with something all new so they can generate revenue.

Each product cycle is being driven by a different business model. Most racing software titles have to come out with something new and shiny on a frequent basis to stay in business and every time they do, they leave some of their players behind, or make them evaluate whether they want to try something different. People end up with a copy of AC and rfactor2 or r3e or PC2 etc..

iRacing gets a lot of things very right, but they aren't perfect. Because they are the big dog some people expect them to be perfect or to be the best at everything.

The critical thing iRacing does have is a very solid core with constant evolution. They will not ever be the best at everything, but they will provide solid competition and continue to improve things and not leave you stranded. That is why they will continue to grow while other sims feel the need to completely reinvent themselves every few years with something 200% better than the last version ;)

Well, for the money they are asking they better get their sh*t right, or am I seeing this the wrong way?

Don't get me wrong, I think iRacing has alot going for it. But the question is if it really justifies the prices they are asking for. Tbh, I have allways tried to stay away from iRacing but made the desicion to pay the ten bucks for three months to try it and see how the physics are, how the FFB is and to check the rest of what makes a decent racing sim, because I try to be open minded.

And personaly, I don't think that their prices are justified - at all, simple as that. Going back to the Spa 24h event they didn't even have life stewards and applied some very questional rule sets where every other sim in the market will offer similar or better structured events for alot less money simply by using league administration. How on earth is your 800lb gorilla not getting such basic stuff right, when the entry fee is that high? And this has nothing to do with d*ck meassurement between sims or being too nitpicky with iRacing but simply with comparing the price in relation to what they offer. The visuals are ok, but nothing ground breaking and I was actually shocked when I first drove Lime Rock Park with it's polygonal track shapes, while offering groundbreaking 80 FPS. And yes, you pay for that content and not just for the service, because without paying your monthly fee you won't be able to use those tracks and cars. Ten bucks per month (I know I know, the discounts yadda yadda) to race on that track is a total ripoff compared to what is the standard in racing sims these days. It is even written in their EULA and copyright notifications when you buy the game aka "You lisence the content". How this is not paying for the content is beyond me? Physics and FFB where pretty good, the sound was very good and the online racing was pretty average, comparable to the online lobbies in all the other sims. Yes you read that right.

And the big question is what I will do after those 3 months? Most likely I will use the sims that I have used for the last 5 years or more online and offline while paying around 60 bucks for each of them compared to iRacing where people spend allmost 500-1000 bucks in five years. How such a relation isn't totaly out of shape while their service and product is decent, but certainly not 20 and not even 5 times better, is something that only people with some very good arguments should answer. And at the end it allways comes down to what you are looking for in a sim and in my case iRacing is simply not the best available product. My 2 cents.

Wow looks awesome , now they should ithink about ncreasing the monthly user bill? .that way the damage will be fully felt ! Its called car and wallet full damage v.3.0! :D

Next step i hope they will move to improve the physics and get the AC level and may be one day the AMS or RF2 ones!

Well, for the money they are asking they better get their sh*t right, or am I seeing this the wrong way?

Don't get me wrong, I think iRacing has alot going for it. But the question is if it really justifies the prices they are asking for. Tbh, I have allways tried to stay away from iRacing but made the desicion to pay the ten bucks for three months to try it and see how the physics are, how the FFB is and to check the rest of what makes a decent racing sim, because I try to be open minded.

And personaly, I don't think that their prices are justified - at all, simple as that. Going back to the Spa 24h event they didn't even have life stewards and applied some very questional rule sets where every other sim in the market will offer similar or better structured events for alot less money simply by using league administration. How on earth is your 800lb gorilla not getting such basic stuff right, when the entry fee is that high? And this has nothing to do with d*ck meassurement between sims or being too nitpicky with iRacing but simply with comparing the price in relation to what they offer. The visuals are ok, but nothing ground breaking and I was actually shocked when I first drove Lime Rock Park with it's polygonal track shapes, while offering groundbreaking 80 FPS. And yes, you pay for that content and not just for the service, because without paying your monthly fee you won't be able to use those tracks and cars. Ten bucks per month (I know I know, the discounts yadda yadda) to race on that track is a total ripoff compared to what is the standard in racing sims these days. It is even written in their EULA and copyright notifications when you buy the game aka "You lisence the content". How this is not paying for the content is beyond me? Physics and FFB where pretty good, the sound was very good and the online racing was pretty average, comparable to the online lobbies in all the other sims. Yes you read that right.

And the big question is what I will do after those 3 months? Most likely I will use the sims that I have used for the last 5 years or more online and offline while paying around 60 bucks for each of them compared to iRacing where people spend allmost 500-1000 bucks in five years. How such a relation isn't totaly out of shape while their service and product is decent, but certainly not 20 and not even 5 times better, is something that only people with some very good arguments should answer. And at the end it allways comes down to what you are looking for in a sim and in my case iRacing is simply not the best available product. My 2 cents.

You are so sincere and right to get so much love on an iracing article, :p. My respect man!

What will you do? AC with symracingsystem for free. Or rf2 /ams league racing . If ams is your chosen one i recomend you Amsunofficial.net or onlinesimracing.com. Smart and brave opinion you wrote, now prepare for the hits you are gonna recieve , lol.

I signed up for a year with the thought that I would stick with it a while and see if it sticks.

My PC2, AC and ACC have been collecting dust and so far for me iRacing made everything more real and got me excited about racing on a track. Until now I only spent time in Dirt Rally.

So for me this is like VR. I never cared about gaming at all until VR. VR made it real enough for me to actually play video games for the first time in many years.

Anyway everyone has a different threshold of engagement that they need to care about something.

I was just looking into VRS (virtual racing school) races which is yet another subscription what provides different setups for each car for each track with a "safe", "Qualifying", and and aggressive/loose setup and then they provide suggestions on how to run a certain track and record additional telemetry during a race to show you where you could improve.

I continue to be amazed at how deep this goes in terms of not only tracking your progress, but additional features. FYI, they also have stock setup races where everyone has the same settings and it is an even playing field.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.