• So long as all your wheels are pointing in roughly the same direction, you should be fine.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

I want to make mods for PC games. Where to start?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohamedou Ari, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Mohamedou Ari

Mohamedou Ari
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium

Ratings:
    +605
    I really want to learn mod development.

I want to make mods for PC games that support it; games like the TES games, Torchlight games, Mount&Blade games, the last two Jedi Knight games, Half-Life games, sim racing games like AC and GSC, and, very soon, Kingdom Come Deliverance.

I'm looking to install the UDK and CryEngine development kit. I also have a handful of some mod tools installed as well.

What programming languages should I start with in the future?

Right now, I'm learning how to use Access 2013 to create databases, so, it's giving me a general idea of programming. I want to finish that before I learn other programming languages like C++ and Python.

2. Phil Dawson

Phil Dawson

Ratings:
    +9
    What do you know already?

3. Diehl

Diehl

Ratings:
    +281
    I'm not sure but I think that the CryEngine uses Lua scripts, so maybe could be interesting to you to learn the Lua language. And, I heard that Lua is a easy language to learn.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli

Ratings:
    +154
    If you want the most people to see your work and are primarily a graphics modder, then Assetto Corsa. If you are more into the technical stuff of vehicle dynamics modelling, tyre behavior modelling, and more into stuff like that, then rFactor 2 (I am NOT implying that AC is just for graphics whores, so please don't go there).