1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to make mods for PC games. Where to start?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohameddo-san, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Mohameddo-san

Mohameddo-san
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

I really want to learn mod development.

I want to make mods for PC games that support it; games like the TES games, Torchlight games, Mount&Blade games, the last two Jedi Knight games, Half-Life games, sim racing games like AC and GSC, and, very soon, Kingdom Come Deliverance.

I'm looking to install the UDK and CryEngine development kit. I also have a handful of some mod tools installed as well.

What programming languages should I start with in the future?

Right now, I'm learning how to use Access 2013 to create databases, so, it's giving me a general idea of programming. I want to finish that before I learn other programming languages like C++ and Python.

2. What do you know already?

3. I'm not sure but I think that the CryEngine uses Lua scripts, so maybe could be interesting to you to learn the Lua language. And, I heard that Lua is a easy language to learn.

4. If you want the most people to see your work and are primarily a graphics modder, then Assetto Corsa. If you are more into the technical stuff of vehicle dynamics modelling, tyre behavior modelling, and more into stuff like that, then rFactor 2 (I am NOT implying that AC is just for graphics whores, so please don't go there).